Just finished the Da Vinci Code - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Just finished the Da Vinci Code

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:50 pm

The Da Vinci Code was written like a it was by an English Literature minor at an undergrad college.

however, the plot was interesting, so i do commend Brown's imagination.

my best friend read this book and was dying for me to read it so he would have someone to discuss "actual christianity" about. suffice to say, it's a little bit of his fault for being so gullible, but it's not right how Brown is misleading people for personal profit.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:12 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i just thought it was a good read :-o :-o

don't get me wrong. it is. it's a quick light read that keeps the pages turning. kind of like a Maxim magazine. i enjoyed DVC as well. i'm just saying it's not some great masterpiece or an all that respectable exercise in writing.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:57 pm

Laean wrote:The Da Vinci Code was written like a it was by an English Literature minor at an undergrad college.

Agreed, I really had a tough time getting through it for that reason.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:55 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:you guys must really read some deep heavy stuff then...i thought it was good...certainly not GREAT by any means, but it wasnt so bad i thought that it was a poorly written book....ehhh whatever i liked it alot and id suggest it to anyone....

but not a "masterpiece"

It all depends on what you're used to reading, your preferences, your age, and the collection of books that you've read overall. I'm not as harsh on it as some here, but I will say this: it wasn't very well written. But, as was said, the plot was there, it kept the pages turning, was a quick, easy read, and enjoyable.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:43 pm

I'm probably the only person on this planet (in my age bracket at least) that hasn't read DVC. }:-) ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:24 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm probably the only person on this planet (in my age bracket at least) that hasn't read DVC. }:-) ;-D

dont worry im one of the rare ones too. the funny thing is though, i am really into religious conspiracies and stuff, but my fascination with the mary magdalene and jesus stuff took place before DVC when holy blood holy grail was around. even then, i didnt find it that interesting. dan brown basically took an old hypothesis that has been around and made it for the masses.

anyways, has anyone seen the one show on the history channel where they actually try to prove whether jesus's descendents are the merovingians? i think its digging for the truth or something, but they located a tomb of a really really old merovingian royalty and was able to extract DNA from one of the bones. and they tried to match it up with middle east-israel (jesus's people) DNA and i think they actually concluded that the royalty indeed could be a descendent of jewish origin.

although i havent read DVC, from what ive noticed, i think dan brown did a good job of combining all these elements that already had a mysterious and clandestine reputation such as templar knights, PS (which is most likely fake), the insiders at vatican, etc. to weave a interesting story for the masses. kudos on him for a good business move, but minus points for not giving props to holy blood holy grail.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:47 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm probably the only person on this planet (in my age bracket at least) that hasn't read DVC. }:-) ;-D

dont worry im one of the rare ones too. the funny thing is though, i am really into religious conspiracies and stuff, but my fascination with the mary magdalene and jesus stuff took place before DVC when holy blood holy grail was around. even then, i didnt find it that interesting. dan brown basically took an old hypothesis that has been around and made it for the masses.

anyways, has anyone seen the one show on the history channel where they actually try to prove whether jesus's descendents are the merovingians? i think its digging for the truth or something, but they located a tomb of a really really old merovingian royalty and was able to extract DNA from one of the bones. and they tried to match it up with middle east-israel (jesus's people) DNA and i think they actually concluded that the royalty indeed could be a descendent of jewish origin.

although i havent read DVC, from what ive noticed, i think dan brown did a good job of combining all these elements that already had a mysterious and clandestine reputation such as templar knights, PS (which is most likely fake), the insiders at vatican, etc. to weave a interesting story for the masses. kudos on him for a good business move, but minus points for not giving props to holy blood holy grail.

I did see that special and, like just about anything on the History channel, it was extremely interesting. I'm thoroughly impressed at how they tackle religious/historical things... it's very unbiased and they take opinions of both scientists and religious scholors. I really enjoy seeing the two sides, how they differ and, more interesting, how they agree.

As for DVC, I'd suggest reading it; as it has been mentioned, it's an extremely "easy" read, which is why it has such massive appeal. A clever gimmick, a little action, some conspiracy, likable characters and basically no big words makes it pretty easy to get through.

I skipped the movie though just because I heard how much it blew and how Ron Howard dropped his balls by leaving the whole thing "open-ended" to appease the scrutiny of the religious community. It's just a movie people!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk