Just finished the Da Vinci Code - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Just finished the Da Vinci Code

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 08, 2006 3:46 pm

knapplc wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Isn't there the same amount of stuff, i.e. the eyewitness accounts? I think that they may have found some of Varus' remains in the Teutoburgerwald but, other than that, the accounts + archaeology are 'it'.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. What "eyewitness accounts" are you referring to?

I think that Tacitus worked in the colonial administration. I am not actually sure if there are records substantiating this but I suspect that there would be, given that he's referred to as an eyewitness by historians of the era. I think that some of the guys like Michael Grant have written biographies, etc. of them.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Tue May 09, 2006 2:03 am

acsguitar wrote:I'm just saying that there have to be more books. If there is someone of this magnitutde there would have to be more information about him.

Because there were so many literate people back then... ;-7
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby benjapage » Sat May 13, 2006 10:09 am

ben's father: reared presbyterian, now tantric buddhist
ben's mother: jewish

ben: why all the fuss?

i don't understand why people need to feel "right." i have my own suppositions about the way things are and should be, but the self-aggrandizing and overly-assured nature and herd mentality of organized religion simply baffle me.

we're all wrong.

i mean, when you really think about it, how would any of us know the construct of the supernatural? frankly, it seems naive to trust the accounts of past humans, who shared a similar need to blanket the unknown.

god is a 3-letter word for, "i don't know."

i'm probably wrong about that, too. ;-7

love you guys (*cough*),
b :-D
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat May 13, 2006 11:33 am

benjapage wrote:ben's father: reared presbyterian, now tantric buddhist
ben's mother: jewish

ben: why all the fuss?

i don't understand why people need to feel "right." i have my own suppositions about the way things are and should be, but the self-aggrandizing and overly-assured nature and herd mentality of organized religion simply baffle me.

we're all wrong.

i mean, when you really think about it, how would any of us know the construct of the supernatural? frankly, it seems naive to trust the accounts of past humans, who shared a similar need to blanket the unknown.

god is a 3-letter word for, "i don't know."

i'm probably wrong about that, too. ;-7

love you guys (*cough*),
b :-D

I have the same view of metaphysical questions but the history of the documents which would influence so much of the development of civilization fascinate me. I watched the National Geographic "Judas Gospel" thing on DVR last week and it was pretty fascinating stuff.

Dan Brown raked in some serious dough based on a few letters on fragments of an 1800 year old parchment and the movie will toss more money into the pile. I'm not convinced in his exact account of what happened as I really don't believe that the Catholic Church would even have to bother hiding or trying to hunt down any existing 'threads' from way back then but I do think that things happened that are outside the standard historical narrative and there ARE a lot of interesting things that have happened in Southwestern France and Spain. Why just last year, Jenna Bush went on the Pilgrimage to Santiago, where Jesus' brother had been said to have ended up.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benjapage » Sat May 13, 2006 12:04 pm

well, sure the stuff is "fascinating," but when we start tossing around proclamations and emboldened assertations of the Truth, i harken back to the "my dad can beat up your dad" statements from the playground days.

again, all of this in issue with 2 tons of salt.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:04 pm

benjapage wrote:well, sure the stuff is "fascinating," but when we start tossing around proclamations and emboldened assertations of the Truth, i harken back to the "my dad can beat up your dad" statements from the playground days.

again, all of this in issue with 2 tons of salt.

b

It's not 'my dad can beat up your dad', it's Cole Hamels can beat up all your pitchers and hitters put together' LOL...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:00 pm

i just started reading the book and finished it last night. im not religious at all, and i dont believe everything in the book for 1 second. BUT, it did make me think about a few things alittle more, and all and all it was a VERY good book to read. alot of twists and turns and a nice summary. brown has a good writing style as well...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:19 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
I skipped from page one of this thread to page 4 so I don't know if anybody mentioned the Christopher Moore book Lamb: The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal but it is hilarious. It tells all about Jesus' secret life in a way that would make Moore very dead if it was written about Mohammed. It may be blasphemous but it is a riot....and it was given to me by the most devout friend that I have, proving that religious people can have a sense of humour and poke fun at themselves.

Lamb was hilarious! Two more cool points awarded to Mookie. ;-D ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:04 pm

What people don't realize is that The Davinci Code is a work of fiction and should be taken as such. Unfortunately, many people are taking it as fact, and this is simply wrong.

Also, please be aware that the "Left Behind" series of books is non-fiction.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:03 pm

JTWood wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I'm just saying that there have to be more books. If there is someone of this magnitutde there would have to be more information about him.

Because there were so many literate people back then... ;-7

Your mom's literate
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk