Predictions for teams in three years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Predictions for teams in three years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Thanks for the more constructive criticism in the last few posts. I love my Yankees, so I do hope their farm system is better than I have heard. And I will admit I completely forgot that Zito is in his last year of his contract, although Harden, Harren and Blanton are still going to be good.

I still like the Phillies in the next few years, as their young pitchers look decent. And the D-Rays looks pretty solid if they get another decent pitcher or two. But then again, almost anywhere is going up for them.
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby roninmedia » Mon May 01, 2006 9:34 pm

The San Antonio Marlins will win another title with a increased payroll of about 70 million.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays will somehow get their payroll up to around 60 million and actually be competitive in the East and *gasp* have a winning season.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 01, 2006 9:56 pm

With Arthur Blank willing to open up the pocket book a bit more, the Braves will try for their 18th strait division title. Although John Smoltz has long since retired, Tim Hudson and Kyle Davies anchor a strong if not dominant. Chipper and Andruw are still around, and while everyone knows Andruw has lost a few steps, Cox leaves him in Center instead of moving him to Left. In the off-season Chipper has finally agreed to move to 1B after nagging injuries convinced him that it was the best place for him, allowing Atlanta to trade all-star 1B Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Devil Rays for Carl Crawford. Crawford later signed a 5-year extention guaranteeing the Braves strong defense from the corner OF positions for many years to come. Eric Cambell and Elvis Andrus give the Braves strong offense from the left side of the IF, and Jeff Francoeur has developed into a reliable (if streaky) .280/30 hitter in Right, while Brian McCann is in the running for his 4th strait selection to the all-star game. Joey Devine is widely considered the best closer in the NL East, and with veterans Macay McBride and Blaine Boyer setting up, the bullpen is a strength.

While prognosticators pick the Mets (after they signed Manny Ramirez to a 4-year deal in the off-season) and the Marlins (who took the wild card in 2008) to finish ahead of the Braves, Atlanta will look to prove them incorrect yet again.

;-D

[editor's note: I apologize for any flubbing of tenses that occured in the making of this post. :-b]
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 01, 2006 10:03 pm

George_Foreman wrote:With Arthur Blank willing to open up the pocket book a bit more, the Braves will try for their 18th strait division title. Although John Smoltz has long since retired, Tim Hudson and Kyle Davies anchor a strong if not dominant. Chipper and Andruw are still around, and while everyone knows Andruw has lost a few steps, Cox leaves him in Center instead of moving him to Left. In the off-season Chipper has finally agreed to move to 1B after nagging injuries convinced him that it was the best place for him, allowing Atlanta to trade all-star 1B Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Devil Rays for Carl Crawford. Crawford later signed a 5-year extention guaranteeing the Braves strong defense from the corner OF positions for many years to come. Eric Cambell and Elvis Andrus give the Braves strong offense from the left side of the IF, and Jeff Francoeur has developed into a reliable (if streaky) .280/30 hitter in Right, while Brian McCann is in the running for his 4th strait selection to the all-star game. Joey Devine is widely considered the best closer in the NL East, and with veterans Macay McBride and Blaine Boyer setting up, the bullpen is a strength.

While prognosticators pick the Mets (after they signed Manny Ramirez to a 4-year deal in the off-season) and the Marlins (who took the wild card in 2008) to finish ahead of the Braves, Atlanta will look to prove them incorrect yet again.

;-D

[editor's note: I apologize for any flubbing of tenses that occured in the making of this post. :-b]

8-o ... 8-o ! "...allowing Atlanta to trade all-star 1B Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Devil Rays for Carl Crawford." Who? Jarrod...what? I'm not saying the Braves won't be fairly good in a few years, but...
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Mon May 01, 2006 10:28 pm

potenial powerhouses:

Yankees:1)no salary cap
2) Statiscally Revenue sharing and Luxury Tax have no effect on competive balance

this means the yankees will continue to domiant

Red Sox same as the Yankees, plus have restocked with stud yunsters.

A's: Good Core of young pitching

Tribe: Good core of young players and the potenial to become a big market (remember how big the payroll was in 1997?)

Brewers: Good young core.

ATL: Have some good young prospects. won't win division this year but will be back on top soon.

D-Backs- great young hitting.

La Dodgers- have deepest farm system in baseball and play in a(potenially) huge market.

Dark Horse: D-Rays- Potenial to devolp intp Murder's Row with an ace pitcher. However they play in the best division in baseball and minor league pitching is thin.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon May 01, 2006 10:39 pm

No love for the Rockies?
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 02, 2006 8:07 pm

pokeyjoe wrote: 8-o ... 8-o ! "...allowing Atlanta to trade all-star 1B Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Devil Rays for Carl Crawford." Who? Jarrod...what? I'm not saying the Braves won't be fairly good in a few years, but...
Yeah, it doesn't make as much sense if he's playing 1B. Saltalamacchia is the best C prospect in the majors, but he's blocked by Brian McCann (the 3-time all star I mentioned earlier. ;-)) I think he's got the defensive skills to play C in the majors, but my theory is that the Braves will trade him since they've already got McCann. The Braves will need a LF and the Rays, while strong in the OF, need a C. I figured Crawford was a reasonable exchange. When Salty is a 25 HR per year C, he'll be worth Crawford, but if he's at 1B, it won't make as much sense....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Wed May 03, 2006 4:55 am

Almost impossible to predict teams 3 years into the future. Trades and FA signings are made every year, and each team in this era has a huge turnover after each season. My prediction is that the powerhouses now will still be powerhouses 3 years from now.

To defend my hometown boys... Yes, they have an old pitching staff right now. However, this doesn't matter at all. 4/5ths of the staff (Not Carpenter) become free agents this year, and they'll get young starters across the board. The Cardinals have cash to spend, and they'll spend it and be fine.

The teams with money to spend will spend it, and be competitive as always. IMO a small market team can only make a run for a World Series title once every couple years, while the big market teams can make sustained runs again and again.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers