Predictions for teams in three years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Predictions for teams in three years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Predictions for teams in three years

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 01, 2006 6:14 pm

I have to think majors will be fairly different in a few years down the road. But my top teams, in no particular order, are:

Mets: In three years, Pedro will still be in the top tier of starters, and it is likely some more guys will have developed. The offense should be top notch, with Reyes fully matured, and Beltran and Wright with a still decent Delgado and Floyd. Lastings Milledge should be up by then and likely taking over left or right field.

Brewers: With a great staff (Sheets, Capuano, Davis) a dominant closer (Turnbow) and a great young lineup (Hardy, Weeks, Fielder, Lee, Jenkins), the Brew Crew should be on the top for quite some time.

Indians-Victor Martinez, Grady Sizemore, Travis Hafner, Cliff Lee, C.C. Sabathia, Jake Westbrook, Jhonny Peralta all in between 26 and 31, this team looks amazing on paper. They only seem to be going up, and they are already pretty good.

Athletics-If you look once again at the ages of players, Joe Blanton, Rich Harden, Danny Haren, Huston Street, Barry Zito, Eric Chavez, Bobby Crosby, Mark Ellis, Dan Johnson, Milton Bradley and Nick Swisher will all be between 25 and 31. All they need is a little more polish and shine, and they'll be on their way.

Phillies-Their pitching isn't amazing, but Ryan Madson and Brett Myers are both 25 now, and they are looking promising. Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley are all going to be about 30, and Bobby Abreu will basically be a veteran leader at age 35.

Going Up

Devil Rays-Although they're pitching still need plenty of work, Carl Crawford, Jorge Cantu, Rocco Baldelli, and Johnny Gomes will all be hitting their prime, and Delmon Young (if he keeps his temper in check) and B.J. Upton will be coming soon.

Reds-Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang will both be about 30, and Felipe Lopez, Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns will all be hitting their prime, so the future looks promising if their pitching can improve.

Going Down

Yankees-Unfortunately, I see my beloved Yankees falling, with Sheffield, Mussina, Johnson, Rivera and Giambi all being 38+, and Jeter, Matsui, A-Rod, and Damon drifting into middle age, lets hope the time is now for the Yanks, as their farm system does not look very promising.

Cardinals-The pitching is getting old, but more worries involve guys like Edmonds and Rolen getting deep into their 30's. Lucky for them, Pujols alone should keep the decent, but it's not going to be enough.

Question Marks

Cubs-Zambrano, Prior and Wood will all be hitting their prime, but injuries are the big question mark here. Also, Derek Lee, Juan Pierre, Aramis Ramirez and Michael Barrett are the only garuntees on the hitting side of things, and they're getting up there in age.

Red Sox-Beckett and Papelbon are hitting their prime, but Schilling, Wakefield and Wells, if they're still around will be in their 40's. Coco Crisp, Willy Mo Pena and Manny look like a good outfield to me, and David Ortiz is going to keep hitting, but the rest of the guys seem like big question marks.

That was fun. ;-D I don't know a lot about the minors, so excuse me if I missed any big prospects. Any comments or opinions?
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:26 pm

Uh, I think a lot is wrong with you predictions. I don't think you're taking contracts and minor league prospects into much consideration. Example, Zito is not going to be with Oak next year let alone 3 years. The Phillies look to have fantastic pitching in 3 years Myers, Hamels, Wolf, Floyd, Gonzalez, Madson. I doubt Floyd will resign with the Mets after this year and no mention of Pelfrey. I think KC will be much improved as will the Dodgers, Angels & Diamondbacks with all their prospects. Just not a very good indepth analysis, sorry.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby mweir145 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:31 pm

No love for the Jays, eh?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 01, 2006 6:37 pm

ooo, I feel I'm gonna get blasted for this one. And yes, I'll admit, I completely forgot to take contracts into consideration, I'll admit that. And if people disagree, post their own predictions.
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Xtreemes » Mon May 01, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm an optimistic Mets fan, but Pedro will not be in the top tier of starters in 3 years.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:56 pm

I think the Devil Rays will compete very competitvly with the Sox and Yanks in three years. Though the Yankees are old now, you know they'll just keep signing the best advalible free agents, so you know they will compete. I don't see the Sox declining either with Manny, Ortiz, Papelbon, Crisp, Pena ect.

The Central should be dominated by the Tribe, with the Tigers competing for Wild Card. The Indians are the best young team in the bigs, with all there major player signed for another 4+ years or so.

The A's and Rangers will probably be the two teams to look for in the AL West. A's always put together a good young squad, and the Rangers with guys like Mench, Tex, Nix, Blalock, Barajas ect. will have a great lineup. The qustion will be the pitching.

I think the Phillies will be the team to beat in three years in the NL East.

The Brewers and Cards should top the NL Central, with the Pirates & Astros being pretty decent as well.

As for the NL West, the Diamondbacks could be a 90 win team sooner than later.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years we are looking at the Indians and D-Rays being the teams to beat in the AL, with the Phils and Brew Crew in the NL.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LooseCannon » Mon May 01, 2006 7:17 pm

I know you mentioned, but teams will be so much different in three years, no doubt, making it impossible to guess.

Three years ago;

The Marlins won the World Series
The Royals had a winning record
The Mets were last in their division
So were the Rangers
Minnesota wasn't being shutout by the 43-win Tigers.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 01, 2006 7:20 pm

[quote="Belle4Hall88"]I think the Devil Rays will compete very competitvly with the Sox and Yanks in three years. Though the Yankees are old now, you know they'll just keep signing the best advalible free agents, so you know they will compete. I don't see the Sox declining either with Manny, Ortiz, Papelbon, Crisp, Pena ect.

The Central should be dominated by the Tribe, with the Tigers competing for Wild Card. The Indians are the best young team in the bigs, with all there major player signed for another 4+ years or so.

The A's and Rangers will probably be the two teams to look for in the AL West. A's always put together a good young squad, and the Rangers with guys like Mench, Tex, Nix, Blalock, Barajas ect. will have a great lineup. The qustion will be the pitching.

I think the Phillies will be the team to beat in three years in the NL East.

The Brewers and Cards should top the NL Central, with the Pirates & Astros being pretty decent as well.

As for the NL West, the Diamondbacks could be a 90 win team sooner than later.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years we are looking at the Indians and D-Rays being the teams to beat in the AL, with the Phils and Brew Crew in the NL.[/quote]

Manny will be 37 in 3 years.

The Angels have a great farm system!

KC has fantastic talent coming up (Gordon, Butler, Bautista, Grienke, Huber)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Re: Predictions for teams in three years

Postby Zito is God » Mon May 01, 2006 8:45 pm

Mets: In three years, Pedro will still be in the top tier of starters, and it is likely some more guys will have developed. The offense should be top notch, with Reyes fully matured, and Beltran and Wright with a still decent Delgado and Floyd. Lastings Milledge should be up by then and likely taking over left or right field.

In three years Pedro will turn into either a Jamie Moyer or a Kevin Brown (the worst of times). Pedro has been losing velocity for two years straight. His arm is not made of steel and he is, even Boston fans will agree, not as he was back when he was with Boston. His command is still pretty decent but his arm will last another season, two tops, before slowly deteriorating into average. He will, because of his ridiculous attitude, still try to pitch like when he was 25, and end up like Kevin Brown, overthrowing everything and injuring himself everyother start in the process.

Brewers: With a great staff (Sheets, Capuano, Davis) a dominant closer (Turnbow) and a great young lineup (Hardy, Weeks, Fielder, Lee, Jenkins), the Brew Crew should be on the top for quite some time.

I agree, I think the Brewers are the baby Indians, showing the rest how the rebuilding process is done. lee will likely be gone at the deadline, but other then that they have a good staff along with a potentially solid bullpen and some nice position players with decent pop and good showing of progressive skills.

Indians-Victor Martinez, Grady Sizemore, Travis Hafner, Cliff Lee, C.C. Sabathia, Jake Westbrook, Jhonny Peralta all in between 26 and 31, this team looks amazing on paper. They only seem to be going up, and they are already pretty good.

This is biased because Cleveland is my fav team, but I think they will win the Central for 5 years straight 3 years from now. Ther Indians need 1 more good arm in the rotation and they should be on top with the greats in baseball. The farm system will likely have Sowers and Miller into the majors by 2009, then it comes time to trade for a closer and the team is destined for greatness.

Athletics-If you look once again at the ages of players, Joe Blanton, Rich Harden, Danny Haren, Huston Street, Barry Zito, Eric Chavez, Bobby Crosby, Mark Ellis, Dan Johnson, Milton Bradley and Nick Swisher will all be between 25 and 31. All they need is a little more polish and shine, and they'll be on their way.

As sad as this is, Zito will be gone at the deadline unless As contend, if they do he will be gone after the season. The rest are a good bunch, and the only thing that worries me is Dan Johnson, who cannot get any more polishing in the minors because of the heavy amount of time he spent there with Hatteberg as the main man. I believe Johnson is already 25, and his rookie campaign impressed (k/BB ratio was ridiculous), but he has faltered in the sophmore jinx. The As need a power right handed bat in the outfield, but the payroll will not allow it. While they will contend, they have no chance at the world series until new ownership comes in IMO. (Note: As are one of my fav teams, if anything I'd be biased FOR them, just telling it like it is).

Phillies-Their pitching isn't amazing, but Ryan Madson and Brett Myers are both 25 now, and they are looking promising. Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley are all going to be about 30, and Bobby Abreu will basically be a veteran leader at age 35.

Abreu will slowly decline, Howard was the most overhyped prospect I can think of last year, and the Phillies will never contend for the same reason the Rockies don't. Because when you have ballparks like that, you NEED solid pitching, and the hitting will come...the GMs seem to have it the other way around.

Devil Rays-Although they're pitching still need plenty of work, Carl Crawford, Jorge Cantu, Rocco Baldelli, and Johnny Gomes will all be hitting their prime, and Delmon Young (if he keeps his temper in check) and B.J. Upton will be coming soon.

Going up? Is it possible to go further down? The Drays will likely be decent, but arbitration will cause them to lose many of their young guns because of their constant rebuilding mode and low payroll. The Pitching has Kazmir...thats it. The only way these guys contend is if the payroll is SIGNIFICANTLY raised.

Reds-Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang will both be about 30, and Felipe Lopez, Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns will all be hitting their prime, so the future looks promising if their pitching can improve.

Same as the Phillies, until the reds get a stellar rotation they have no chance. On top of that, their lineup is not all great. The future has Homer Bailey who is satting he has little passion for baseball and Jay bruce who is at the very least 3-4 years away. Cheers reds fans, cheers.

Yankees-Unfortunately, I see my beloved Yankees falling, with Sheffield, Mussina, Johnson, Rivera and Giambi all being 38+, and Jeter, Matsui, A-Rod, and Damon drifting into middle age, lets hope the time is now for the Yanks, as their farm system does not look very promising.

I don't think my beloved Yankees will ever fall. What people seem to fail to realize is simple: When superstars leave, their money gets freed up, when money gets freed up it can be used to get NEW stud players from FA every single year. Its a cycle that will never end with the Yankees. Cashman needs to go though, jaret Wright was a mistake, everyone knew it, but when I heard he was serious about signing Milton I knew he lost the marbles.

Cardinals-The pitching is getting old, but more worries involve guys like Edmonds and Rolen getting deep into their 30's. Lucky for them, Pujols alone should keep the decent, but it's not going to be enough.

I agree here, the farm is not tioo impressive, and the veterans keep getting older. Taht type of park needs stud pitching, and the Cards have some stud pitching, but for how long? Pujols will always be thwere, but Rolen and Edmonds are both on the decline (how the hell is Edmonds hitting under .200, remmember in 2003 when baseball tonight were contemplating if he could hit .400 because his average was around .414 after 50 games?). Simply put, the Cards better win soon, because the future looks kinda dull.

Cubs-Zambrano, Prior and Wood will all be hitting their prime, but injuries are the big question mark here. Also, Derek Lee, Juan Pierre, Aramis Ramirez and Michael Barrett are the only garuntees on the hitting side of things, and they're getting up there in age.

You can say what you want,. I hate Dusty baker. The way he treats his pitchers, the Cubs will never be healthy. The Cubs have a nice farm system (Guzman, pawelek look very good for the future rotation), hopwever I don't think Dusty can tap into their potential. The Cubs seem like they need to play small ball to win. If they tapped into the Angels 2002 mentality, they have a chance. Playoffs? yes. WS? Ummm...sorry.

Red Sox-Beckett and Papelbon are hitting their prime, but Schilling, Wakefield and Wells, if they're still around will be in their 40's. Coco Crisp, Willy Mo Pena and Manny look like a good outfield to me, and David Ortiz is going to keep hitting, but the rest of the guys seem like big question marks.

I hate the red Sox, I hate the with a passion. But the truth is the red Sox will absolutely dominate 3 years from now (even more so). Their famr is absolutely stellar. papelbon and Lester will take over while Hansen mans the closer role soon. Coco was a nice trade, and Manny and ortiz still have 4-5 years each of good production. Boston will likely sign another stud arm and will be a complete team, the best in the majors 3 years from now (wow, that even hurt to type).

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon May 01, 2006 8:46 pm

Sheffield will be gone. Mussina will be gone. Randy will be retired. Giambi's contract will have expired.

They have alot of good prospects in their farm system from what I've read. They are just in lower levels. In 3 years, most of them will be in AAA and/or MLB ready. Eric Duncan will likely be on the roster, with Philip Hughes.

And they'll keep spending money on FAs. They won't decline. They might not get any further than they are now, but their resources will never allow them to drop very far.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers