Mig Fighter Sells On Ebay - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mig Fighter Sells On Ebay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mig Fighter Sells On Ebay

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon May 01, 2006 5:58 pm

It's unreal what you can purchase over the internet.

BEIJING - A Chinese businessman has bought a MiG-21f plane from a U.S. seller on the online auction Web site eBay for $24,730 and plans to use it to decorate an empty space at his offices, a newspaper reported Sunday.

The Beijing News newspaper identified the Chinese buyer as Zhang Cheng.

"I like to collect valuable items. I have the buying power and my company has an empty space where I can display the plane," the newspaper quoted Zhang as saying.

The eBay Web site for the transaction shows the plane is currently located in Lewiston, Idaho.

It said the fighter jet, last flown in 1995, has been inspected by a museum and found to be in excellent condition.

The seller was only identified by the username "inkgirle."

The Beijing News quoted Zhang as saying he learned from the seller's son by telephone that the fighter jet was retired by the Czech military.

It wasn't immediately clear if the fighter jet can be imported into China. Zhang said he is waiting for government authorities to get back to him, The Beijing News reported.

An operator at China's customs department said no one was available for comment.

"There is the precedent of a Chinese company buying a retired aircraft carrier, but I don't know if this jet plane is a banned item," Zhang reportedly said.

Zhang was apparently referring to the Soviet-built Minsk aircraft carrier that a Chinese company bought and converted into a floating theme park in the southern city of Shenzhen. The company went bankrupt and recently put the ship up for sale.

The report gave no indication where in China Zhang was located.

eBay's government relations department didn't immediately respond to a reporter's e-mail seeking comment.

Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 01, 2006 6:10 pm

My sword was cooler. I'd guess someone would fly it over there
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed May 03, 2006 12:12 am

8-o Is that figure correct? Less than $25K? 8-o Says it hasn't been flown since 1995, but has it been stripped, or what? Has to just be the shell of a wrecked plane or something at that price. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 03, 2006 12:40 am

Madison wrote:8-o Is that figure correct? Less than $25K? 8-o Says it hasn't been flown since 1995, but has it been stripped, or what? Has to just be the shell of a wrecked plane or something at that price. :-?

That's exactly what I was thinking... :-?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Jivedude » Thu May 04, 2006 1:15 am

MiG21

I'll take one of these.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 04, 2006 10:14 am

A Chinese businessman has bought a MiG-21f plane from a U.S. seller on the online auction Web site eBay for $24,730 and plans to use it to decorate an empty space at his offices

This is what caught my eye. That's got to be a big office. 8-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu May 04, 2006 10:33 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:8-o Is that figure correct? Less than $25K? 8-o Says it hasn't been flown since 1995, but has it been stripped, or what? Has to just be the shell of a wrecked plane or something at that price. :-?

That's exactly what I was thinking... :-?

well these things are generally stripped of targeting, weapons, and navigational systems leaving it as just a single seat jet plane. given that few are actually qualified to fly it and replacement parts are hard to come by its essentially just nicely shaped scrap metal.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Tue May 09, 2006 9:56 am

Now he wants to go back on the deal...

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese businessman who bought a Russian fighter jet online wants his money back after finding it could not be shipped to China, state media reported on Tuesday.

Zhang Cheng, a Beijing businessman, bid $24,730 and paid a $2,000 deposit for the former Czech air force plane on Chinese-based eBay, Xinhua news agency said.

But legal experts informed Zhang that the MiG-21, located in Idaho in the United States, was "almost impossible to ship back," Xinhua said, quoting the Beijing Times.

Moreover, the seller had clearly confined the destination of the plane to the United States and Canada, Xinhua quoted a member of eBay's public relations staff as saying.

Chinese Web surfers have accused Zhang of trying to gain fame, but others suggest it merely shows the improved living standards of the Chinese, Xinhua said.

The buyer, however, said he was building a collection.

"I like to collect valuable items," he said. "I have the buying power and my company has an empty space where I can display the plane."

If I were the seller I'd say, "Sure, no problem. I'll keep your $2,000 deposit and we can both go our separate ways."

Seems fair enough to me.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Return to General Talk