Fantasy Impact of Clemens Choice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Impact of Clemens Choice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Impact of Clemens Choice

Postby Philliebuster » Mon May 01, 2006 4:50 pm

Fantasy wise, who should I be rooting for as Clemens choice should he return (which I have no real doubt that he will).

I think it would be:

1.Houston (NL lineup obviously-better run support than 05, good setup and RP)
2.Yankees (AL East, great run support, great RP, so so setup men)
3.Boston (AL East, good/great run support, good RP and setup)
4. Texas
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 01, 2006 5:37 pm

Houston has to be the choice. Better ERA, WHIP, and K's is worth the slight hit in Wins (which is a fickle category to begin with).
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon May 01, 2006 5:53 pm

Houston is the best choice fantasy wise. It's the NL and he's been comfortable there. I'd rather see him in Boston though. :*)
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon May 01, 2006 5:54 pm

Your order looks good to me.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Fantasy Impact of Clemens Choice

Postby The Jury » Tue May 02, 2006 10:49 am

Philliebuster wrote:Fantasy wise, who should I be rooting for as Clemens choice should he return (which I have no real doubt that he will).

I think it would be:

1.Houston (NL lineup obviously-better run support than 05, good setup and RP)
2.Yankees (AL East, great run support, great RP, so so setup men)
3.Boston (AL East, good/great run support, good RP and setup)
4. Texas

Just so you know, RP means relief pitcher. If you were referring to Mo, he's the CLOSER 8-o
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CharlatanSin » Tue May 02, 2006 10:54 am

Yeah, your order looks perfect fantasy-wise. Of course, I'd love to see him back in pinstripes. A guy can dream, right?
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 02, 2006 10:55 am

Clemens will make a huge impact no matter where he signs. Heck he could sign with the Pirates or the Devil Rays and still be a very good pitcher. It might be better for him to sign with the Astros to stay out of the AL East, but still in the NL Central he will have to deal with Pujols, Lee, Aram, Dunn, Fielder and gang.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Tue May 02, 2006 10:58 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Clemens will make a huge impact no matter where he signs. Heck he could sign with the Pirates or the Devil Rays and still be a very good pitcher. It might be better for him to sign with the Astros to stay out of the AL East, but still in the NL Central he will have to deal with Pujols, Lee, Aram, Dunn, Fielder and gang.

He would also get to strike out the opposing pitcher 2 or 3 times a game though.

No question Houston would be the ideal place overall. Particularly for my interests, as a Clemens owner in an NL-only league.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Laean » Tue May 02, 2006 11:43 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Clemens will make a huge impact no matter where he signs. Heck he could sign with the Pirates or the Devil Rays and still be a very good pitcher. It might be better for him to sign with the Astros to stay out of the AL East, but still in the NL Central he will have to deal with Pujols, Lee, Aram, Dunn, Fielder and gang.

i think he'll make a huge impact in real life, especially in the post season, but not necessarily in fantasy. there's no guarantee that even if he returns, he'll repeat last year's career #s. at best i think we can reasonably expect a 3.00 era (only if he returns to houston), at worst as bad as 4.00. in NY he was on avg a 3.50 era pitcher. add in the fact that he hasn't pitched in a while and he's possible waning motivation at his age, i would be trying to sell him right now if there is some owner in the league who's willing to pay for him like he's going to repeat a sub 3 era or (god forbid) sub 2 era again.

i think if i had him this year, i'd be expecting more like carlos zambrano and pettitte #s from him, rather than oswalt/peavy type #s.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mak1277 » Tue May 02, 2006 12:02 pm

Laean wrote:

i think he'll make a huge impact in real life, especially in the post season, but not necessarily in fantasy. there's no guarantee that even if he returns, he'll repeat last year's career #s. at best i think we can reasonably expect a 3.00 era (only if he returns to houston), at worst as bad as 4.00. in NY he was on avg a 3.50 era pitcher. add in the fact that he hasn't pitched in a while and he's possible waning motivation at his age, i would be trying to sell him right now if there is some owner in the league who's willing to pay for him like he's going to repeat a sub 3 era or (god forbid) sub 2 era again.

i think if i had him this year, i'd be expecting more like carlos zambrano and pettitte #s from him, rather than oswalt/peavy type #s.

Why would there be any reason to expect him to put up numbers substantially worse if he does go back to Houston? I mean, nobody expects a sub 2 ERA, but I think he could easily drop in with an ERA around 3.00 and a WHIP of 1.10.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers