Mets Fans!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets Fans!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mets Fans!!!

Postby JohnnyBenchBest Ever » Mon May 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Whats the deal with V. Diaz? Is he in the Mets long term plans or is he just going to be a 4th OF. I know he's young (24), just wondering what his future looks like.
JohnnyBenchBest Ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 01, 2006 12:58 pm

His future is up in the air right now. In terms of Mets OF, he's second fiddle to Lastings Milledge, so assuming the Mets only have one long-term OF slot to fill, it's going to Milledge, leaving Diaz as the odd man out. That's what I see happening, at least. I can't envision the Mets replacing both their corner OF with prospects in the too near future.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Kavorka » Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

from Rotoworld today . . .

Victor Diaz is expected to be returned to Triple-A Norfolk after Monday's game.
Diaz will be sent down to open a roster spot for John Maine who will start Tuesday's game in place of injured Brian Bannister. May. 1 - 11:09 am et
Source: New York Daily News

For the future: Who knows? IMO he looks like the odd man out. Beltran will be in Center for the next 5 years. Floyd is in the last year of his contract with the Mets and it looks like he's just holding the spot for Lastings Milledge. The X faxtor would be Xavier Nady who has played well so far. If he keeps it up Diaz doesn't have a position other than 4th OFer or injury replacement.

Nady's success will have a lot to do with what happens to Diaz.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Mon May 01, 2006 1:02 pm

I think the Mets are unsure about him. His fielding is atrocious. He should be able to hit well enough to be a LF somewhere. Cliff Floyd is probably gone after this year, but it could be either Diaz or Lastings Milledge, depending on Milledge's development. Nady was supposed to be a stopgap for Milledge, but he might be playing himself into the Mets' plans. The Mets' OF next year could have a couple of different looks with Beltran at center in all cases.

LF: Diaz
RF: Nady

LF: Nady
RF: Milledge

LF: Diaz
RF: Milledge

It's a long season, and I think they are going to make the decision in spring training next year. If Diaz isn't starting by next year, I would think that he would be traded.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby JohnnyBenchBest Ever » Mon May 01, 2006 1:03 pm

Do you see him getting traded?
JohnnyBenchBest Ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 01, 2006 1:04 pm

JohnnyBenchBest Ever wrote:Do you see him getting traded?

If Nady plays his way into the long term plans, or the Mets acquire another OF bat via free agency or trade, it's certainly possible that they could trade him for, say, bullpen help ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby beezer » Mon May 01, 2006 7:35 pm

I would think they would trade him for SP help. I bet they wish they kept Benson right now!! Zambrano is garbage and Pedro, Glavine, and Trachsel are getting up there in years. Their bullpen is pretty strong right now except for Julio, who has actually pitched better lately.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 01, 2006 8:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Diaz included if the Mets are involved in any deadline deals. Unfortunately Diaz isn't helping any with his poor showing so far at Norfolk.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Tue May 02, 2006 1:10 am

He's a lot like Jason Michaels in that he deserves a chance to start in an outfiled position but he's blocked. I'd say about 75% chance he's not a Met by the end of the season.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jboyhb » Tue May 02, 2006 3:12 am

They had to send him down cause they need another started 4 wednesday.
jboyhb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers