PAPELBON TO THE STARTING ROTATION? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

PAPELBON TO THE STARTING ROTATION?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PAPELBON TO THE STARTING ROTATION?

Postby jebnasty » Mon May 01, 2006 12:08 pm

is this a possibility? i need a closer not a starter.
jebnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GoGoBoSox » Mon May 01, 2006 12:14 pm

It is a possiblity, just not right now. Or anytime soon for that matter.
Red Sox Baseball: On a clear night at Fenway, you can almost see October.
GoGoBoSox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 01, 2006 1:07 pm

He will be starting when Craig Hansen begins closing, imo, which could be as early as '07, but probably '08.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kid sox » Mon May 01, 2006 2:12 pm

The Sox are without an effective 5th SP so its more than possible that in the event that another SP goes down, Pappelbon gets moved to the starting rotation, Foulke gets the closers job back and Hansen comes up as the main setup guy.

As long as Foulke continues to pitch well, I don't any scenario where Hansen leapfrogs Foulke. It's generally not done that way.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chinst » Mon May 01, 2006 2:21 pm

kid sox wrote:The Sox are without an effective 5th SP so its more than possible that in the event that another SP goes down, Pappelbon gets moved to the starting rotation, Foulke gets the closers job back and Hansen comes up as the main setup guy.

As long as Foulke continues to pitch well, I don't any scenario where Hansen leapfrogs Foulke. It's generally not done that way.

Isn't that EXACTLY what Papelbon did?
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kid sox » Mon May 01, 2006 2:25 pm

chinst wrote:
kid sox wrote:The Sox are without an effective 5th SP so its more than possible that in the event that another SP goes down, Pappelbon gets moved to the starting rotation, Foulke gets the closers job back and Hansen comes up as the main setup guy.

Foulke had a miserable 2005 and was a disaster coming out of spring training. If you watched his first 4 or 5 appearances of the season you could understand why his manager had no confidence that he was going to be effective in the closers role.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sj2k » Mon May 01, 2006 3:18 pm

As a sox fan I feel I have a good perspective. I feel foulke will close eventually this season and paplebon will move into the rotation UNLESS A. we trade for more pitching, B. sign the rocket, or C. wells comes back healthy. Foulke has been pitching well, and dinardo is not a long term answer in the 5th spot
sj2k
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chinst » Mon May 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Yeah, how quickly would you Sox fans return Wily Mo for Bronson now? LOL.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Mon May 01, 2006 10:35 pm

chinst wrote:Yeah, how quickly would you Sox fans return Wily Mo for Bronson now? LOL.

It was hard to see Arroyo leave. He was a fan favorite. But I have no illusions that he would be doing this good in Boston against the AL east. I also don't doubt that he will come back down to earth in the NL. Still, I think he will do pretty good this year. He is an unknown in the NL, most pitchers do well the first year when going from the AL to the NL.

My big surprise is that Pedro is still doing so well.

And as far as Pena goes, he will get going. He has just the opposite problem. Most hitters have problems when switching leagues, and getting used to the other league's pitchers. Plus he is young and undisciplined. I predict he will pay dividends in a few years.

Then again, maybe I'm just rationalizing... lol.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Mon May 01, 2006 10:40 pm

chinst wrote:

Actually, not really. Papelbon started closing because in Foulke's first outing, it was clear he wasn't ready yet. He was still feeling the affects of his injury. Since, Papelbon has been doing so good, they'd have to be crazy to take him out of that position. So, Foulke might be stuck with the setup job.

sj2k wrote:As a sox fan I feel I have a good perspective. I feel foulke will close eventually this season and paplebon will move into the rotation UNLESS A. we trade for more pitching, B. sign the rocket, or C. wells comes back healthy. Foulke has been pitching well, and dinardo is not a long term answer in the 5th spot

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. There are other ways to solve the SP problem. If Wells does not come back healthy, and the rocket doesn't sign, then they will do a trade for more pitching. As long as Papelbon keeps doing as good as he is doing in the closing job, he will keep that job... at least for this year. Its his job to lose.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates