Mirabelli Back to Boston (Wakefield Jumps for Joy) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mirabelli Back to Boston (Wakefield Jumps for Joy)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon May 01, 2006 2:45 pm

Dice wrote:Terrible move by the Red Sox. They have two other former major league catchers in the AAA level in Ken Huckaby and Corky Miller. They could've been given a shot before resorting to Mirabelli.

I'd much rather that resources went towards getting pitching.

The resources go towards pitching? What resources? Bard and a minor league scrub? The Sox are very lucky they got Mirabelli for what they did. Great move by them too. They basically got Loretta for free.

Yanks04, who said Wakefield demanded a personal catcher? He didn't. They had Mirabelli from when Varitek got hurt, and he proved he was very solid defensively. Varitek is obviously going to need days off, and Mirabelli is better defensively, so they decided to have him catch for Wakefield. This way they can keep Varitek fresh and have a catcher who is very good at catching the knuckleball catch Wakefield.

The system has worked great and they had a chance to bring it back for a very cheap price, so they did.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon May 01, 2006 3:04 pm

Yeah, you've got to bring in someone else. Varitek has shown he can't catch Timmy's knuckleball and Bard was well on his way to proving that he couldn't do it either. Mirabelli always did a great job with Wakefield so it makes all the sense in the world.

They did overpay but if you take both of the Mirabelli deals as part of one transaction Boston made out fairly well.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby nixonforpres » Mon May 01, 2006 3:08 pm

"IMO, this is strictly a Varitek does not want to/Wakefield like Mirabelli issue"

Well, if you've got two guys who would be happy with a certain situation, and you CAN make that situation happen, why shouldn't they make it happen? A few more wins due to the kind of defense, bat, and morale Mirrabelli brings can get you a pennant. (Or at least those few wins ;-) )
nixonforpres
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jzfran » Mon May 01, 2006 3:43 pm

It doesnt hurt tek to get a day off every 5 games. Mirabelli in his time proved to be a top notch backup catcher. In my opinion, he was one of the top backup catchers oin baseball. He really got used to Wake's knuckle and they worked well together. Tek, however, has caught Wakefield before, even in the 2004 playoffs, where Wake pitched and they eneded Jasons bat. This move definately helps the Sox, and Wake's struggles should be ending now that he can rely on only maing 3 outs per inning instead of 4 or 5.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Mon May 01, 2006 5:54 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:The resources go towards pitching? What resources? Bard and a minor league scrub? The Sox are very lucky they got Mirabelli for what they did. Great move by them too. They basically got Loretta for free.

Actually it is more like Loretta (who, when not playing on patriot's day, has been terrible) for Shoppach and Meredith, Both are ok prospects. Shoppach is a good defensive catcher and Meredith should devolp into a nice MR.

I agree that it is a move that need to be made, but i would have prefered to keep meredith.

And if go back over the years, many Knuckleballers have ad thier own catchers. Varitek catch Wake for a short period last year and it was a bad experience.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby giants! » Mon May 01, 2006 6:40 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Since when is it up to a C like Varitek to determine who he should or should not Catch? Are you saying Varitek is worse than Bard at catching Wakefield? I find that hard to believe as he has done it in the past.

IMO, this is strictly a Varitek does not want to/Wakefield like Mirabelli issue. Wakefield is hardly the first knuckle ball pitcher in the big leagues and I find it perposterous that a C like Varitek could not do an adequate job catching him if he had to.

There are few pitchers in history (knuckle ball pitchers included) that have had catchers for their own personal use and could dictate to a team roster/personnel decisions. And the ones I can think of are either HOF'ers or going to be HOF'ers.

Not that this makes a whole lot of difference, but I find it amusing that Boston needed to go to this extreme to placate Wakefield and Varitek and that the Yanks think this is a move worthy of them dealing for a C they do not need.

Even as a fellow yankee fan, I will disagree here. Wakefield, moreso than the others deserves a personal catcher. Wakefield has a tough knuckleball that only few can catch. On the other hand, upper echelon pitchers like Maddux and Carton all threw common pitches, there was no reason why the everyday catcher could not catch them. However, as we see from bard, not every catcher can catch Wakefield, so why not get the catcher that catches him best. As a Yankee fan, I dont like this news
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 01, 2006 6:57 pm

As I said before, I love this move. I can't wait to see him back in the dugout. Great move from a team unity standpoint, imo, even if he only starts every 5 days.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon May 01, 2006 8:21 pm

He got a standing O from Fenway. 8-o

It was a good move, but it's not like he's a superstar or even a former Red Sock hero returned home. He's a backup catcher folks. :-°
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon May 01, 2006 8:25 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:He got a standing O from Fenway. 8-o

It was a good move, but it's not like he's a superstar or even a former Red Sock hero returned home. He's a backup catcher folks. :-°

He's a fan favorite.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 01, 2006 9:33 pm

Maddux didn't exactly have a personal catcher; he and Javy Lopez just didn't work well together so Cox just used the backup on Maddux's starts.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers