Mirabelli Back to Boston (Wakefield Jumps for Joy) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mirabelli Back to Boston (Wakefield Jumps for Joy)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mirabelli Back to Boston (Wakefield Jumps for Joy)

Postby Pacman » Mon May 01, 2006 11:52 am

Link

Mirabelli to catch Wakefield tonight vs. Yankees

The Boston Red Sox have finalized a trade to obtain catcher Doug Mirabelli from the San Diego Padres in exchange for catcher Josh Bard, minor-league pitcher Clay Meredith and cash, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting.
Mirabelli, Tim Wakefield's normal catcher last season when Mirabelli was with the Red Sox, will be in the starting lineup Monday night against the Yankees.

The Yankees also tried to obtain Mirabelli to keep him from returning to the Red Sox.

The Red Sox traded Mirabelli to the Padres for second baseman Mark Loretta in December. The Padres' compensation in this latest deal is still unclear.

Mirabelli had been Wakefield's personal catcher in Boston before being traded. In 2005, he batted .228 in just 136 at-bats in 50 games. This season, he is batting .182 in 22 at-bats for the Padres.

He is a career .240 hitter with 47 homers and 165 RBI in 459 career games for Boston, Texas, San Francisco and San Diego.

Bard, who has caught Wakefield's five starts in 2006, leads the major leagues with 10 passed balls.

Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Mon May 01, 2006 11:55 am

Great news. This should make Wake a different pitcher, not to mention Belli's pretty good with the bat. Pretty happy he's back in the fold. Even better is that the Yanks tried getting him but couldn't.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pacman » Mon May 01, 2006 11:56 am

Yeah, fantasy impact is that it's good news for Wakefield owners, as Tim's comfort zone just got a lot bigger.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:10 pm

I dunno which is more nuts...Boston bending over to get a light hitting backup C because he can catch a knuckle ball better than Varitek or the Yanks contemplating a move to block them.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby .38 Special » Mon May 01, 2006 12:13 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I dunno which is more nuts...Boston bending over to get a light hitting backup C because he can catch a knuckle ball better than Varitek or the Yanks contemplating a move to block them.

If you saw Bard catching him, you would understand. Like nails through my eyes.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 01, 2006 12:20 pm

Nice news for Wakefield.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 839)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:21 pm

So let Varitek catch the guy and have Bard spell him with someone else. IMO, if you want a personal catcher, you better be Greg Maddux or Carlton. Wakefield does not quite make that grade.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby p32bars » Mon May 01, 2006 12:31 pm

So let Varitek catch the guy and have Bard spell him with someone else. IMO, if you want a personal catcher, you better be Greg Maddux or Carlton. Wakefield does not quite make that grade.

So making a move that will help give Boston a chance at winning baseball games is based on reputation?

I could hear the meeting:

Francona: We need Mirabelli, Bard isn't getting it done and Wake prefers him.

Boston Brass: I don't know, Wakefield isn't really established enough to have his own catcher.

Francona: Hmm, you might be right, he hasn't really done anything to garner a personal catcher.

That is the most absurd comment I have ever heard. Bard was obviously having a hell of a time catching Wakefield and last time I checked, Wakefield is a knuckleballer, not a finese guy like Maddux or fireballer like Carlton. If I run a team and I can get a guy who will undoubtebly help one of my starting pitchers, I'm going to do it, especially over a guy who isn't getting it done.

Sure, Wakefield isn't Oswalt, Carpenter, or like any of the upper echelon pitchers, but the guy throws a knuckleball which makes him entirely different from all of those guys.
Last edited by p32bars on Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby garf112 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:36 pm

TheYanks04, you try and catch a Tim Wakefield knuckleball. You obviously haven't seen the ridiculousness that was Bard trying to catch it. Varitek probably doesn't want to get embarrassed like Bard did. I think it was Bob Uecker that said "the best way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until it stops rolling." :-D
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)

Postby theclefe » Mon May 01, 2006 1:09 pm

p32bars wrote:

So making a move that will help give Boston a chance at winning baseball games is based on reputation?

I could hear the meeting:

Francona: We need Mirabelli, Bard isn't getting it done and Wake prefers him.

Boston Brass: I don't know, Wakefield isn't really established enough to have his own catcher.

Francona: Hmm, you might be right, he hasn't really done anything to garner a personal catcher.

That is the most absurd comment I have ever heard. Bard was obviously having a hell of a time catching Wakefield and last time I checked, Wakefield is a knuckleballer, not a finese guy like Maddux or fireballer like Carlton. If I run a team and I can get a guy who will undoubtebly help one of my starting pitchers, I'm going to do it, especially over a guy who isn't getting it done.

Sure, Wakefield isn't Oswalt, Carpenter, or like any of the upper echelon pitchers, but the guy throws a knuckleball which makes him entirely different from all of those guys.

:-D

Wakefield has been one of the sox most reliable pitchers over the past decade, so lets not overlook his value as an innings eating and quality pitcher. Plus, 10 passed balls versus 1 or 2 is a big difference. If the price of getting Belli back is reasonable, it is a easy decision.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers