Humberto Sanchez thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Humberto Sanchez thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:41 pm

Dannomyte wrote:Get to know: Humberto Sanchez, Mud Hens starting pitcher

This season: In eight starts for the Mud Hens, has a 5-3 record with a 3.61ERA. ... Has missed his last two starts because of elbow soreness but will start Thursday. ... Began the year with Double-A Erie and had 11 starts, going 5-3 with a 1.76 ERA. ... Was named to the All-Star Futures Game in Pittsburgh and started for the World Team.

Career: Made 11 starts for Erie in 2005 and was 3-5 with a 5.57 ERA. ... In 2004 in Class A Lakeland, went 7-11 with a 5.21 ERA in 19 starts. ... Originally drafted by Los Angeles in the ninth round in 2000, but decided instead to attend Rockland (N.Y.) Community College and Connors (Okla.) State College. ... At Connors was a junior-college All-American, going 8-1 with a 1.17 ERA. ... The Tigers drafted him in the 31st round in 2001. ... Was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

NINE INNINGS

1. Favorite team growing up: I'm still somewhat of a Yankees fan. I went to more Mets games because I got more tickets. But I wasn't a big fan of either team.

2. Favorite player: I'm a big Manny Ramirez fan. I went to Yankee Stadium when the Indians came in town because he was from the area.

3. When did you move to the United States from the Dominican Republic? In April of 1994. I was 10. It was a culture shock. I was happy to be with my mom again, but it was a big culture shock. I came from a small town, and moving to New York City was a lot different. The language barrier was of course big. But the bi-lingual programs in New York are great. My mom came in '92 and my brother and I came two years later.

4. When did you realize you could play professionally? After junior year of high school I kind of thought about it. There were talks about it. All the hype and all the stuff started coming out. I was supposed to go really high, second through fifth round in high school, and it didn't happen.

5. You were drafted in the ninth round after high school. Why did you choose college? I wanted to experience the college life for a few years. It helped a lot. But I hurt my ulnar nerve. I had the surgery, and then the Tigers drafted me, said we'll let you back to school, see how you'll do. After that year, I was supposed to be a first or second-rounder, so they gave me first-round money to sign.

6. What's the difference between this year and last year for you? Being healthy. Being on the field, being able to pitch every five games. Last year I would show one good game and then it would disappear for the next two games. I missed half the season with injuries, so my body never held up to the expectations that I had for it. I pulled my lat muscle, and then I started spring training, and then I had mono in extended spring training. So I was home just doing nothing. Then I had to start my throwing program again and next thing I knew the first two months of the season were gone.

7. Favorite baseball movie: I like Natural. Also Eight Men Out, Major League. Bull Durham. I like them all.

8. Toughest hitter to face: Especially at this level, there's a lot of guys who can hurt you. Every game you start, you're always going to find one guy or two guys who might not be the best hitters on the team but for some reason they're tough for you.

9. Biggest sports thrill: Signing my first pro contract. It's a big deal, you know? I had to wait a while. After being hurt, it was like, wow, is this going to happen now, is this ever going to happen.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /607300336

What I'd really like to know is what the deal with his elbow is. When talking injuries with pitchers, "elbow" is the LAST thing you want to hear (although shoulder is up there too). Things have been quiet since he had his start scratched. Hopefully everything is ok. Still a nice article regardless.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:44 am

Sanchez proving his worth to Tigers

TOLEDO, Ohio -- Toledo Mud Hens pitching coach Jeff Jones still remembers the first time he saw Humberto Sanchez.

It was a Spring Training intrasquad game two years ago, and Jones was there to watch Jason Johnson pitch. They were short on umpires, so Jones ended up watching both pitchers from the field. Sanchez left an impression.

"He was throwing hard, he was throwing a sharp breaking ball," Jones said. "The thing he didn't have at that time was command."

If he could be consistent with his control, Jones and roving pitching instructor Jon Matlack discussed, he could be pretty good.

Two years later, Sanchez is beyond pretty good, and he's caught many more eyes with many more clubs. But he's never been worried about proving himself to other teams. He wanted to prove himself to the Tigers.

Finally, this is the year for that.

"By far," Sanchez said. "You've always got things to prove and you've always got things to learn, but by far, out of my three or four seasons, by far I've put things together a lot more and on a consistent basis."

Of all the prospects in a now-deeper Detroit farm system, none caught as much attention as Sanchez. His name was intertwined with Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano for most of July, though Washington was believed to have more interest in Class A West Michigan outfielder Cameron Maybin.

At least three other teams reportedly watched Sanchez in his start on July 19 at Pawtucket, and plenty others have eyed him from afar.

Just when Sanchez had an argument for being the most-discussed prospect on the trade market, he was off it. A tender throwing elbow after his Pawtucket start prompted the Tigers to shelve him for two starts, taking him past the July 31 trade deadline. By the time he took the mound again Thursday for the Mud Hens, the trade buzz was off, whether or not Sanchez was on.

Thursday's results were mixed. He gave up three runs on five hits over four innings, tiring a bit from the layoff after retiring nine of his first 11 hitters. Yet he might've pitched as well mixing his stuff as he has all season. Of his four strikeouts, three were on offspeed pitches, flashing the extra pitch meant to keep hitters off his low- to mid-90s fastball.

"He was using his changeup better tonight than he had all year," Mud Hens manager Larry Parrish said. "He's always used his breaking ball, but tonight he got some strikeouts on his changeup."

All the sudden interest this summer is a microcosm of Sanchez's career. While Joel Zumaya and Justin Verlander rose quickly to the big leagues this spring, Sanchez has been in the system as long or longer with somewhat comparable potential -- a big right-hander with a similarly big arm. It simply took this long to translate it into a season of results.

Sanchez's origins date back to the Randy Smith era, a 31st-round pick in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft who became a draft-and-follow project the next summer after a breakout junior college campaign. The four seasons that followed were a mix of intrigue and injuries.

His 2002 season was interrupted by shoulder and biceps strains. He was an All-Star selection at West Michigan in 2003 but struggled down the stretch after inflammation in his elbow. He rose among the Tigers top prospects in 2004, but a knee injury cut his season short.

The most frustration came last year, when three different disabled list stints limited him to 11 starts at Double-A Erie. He put up a 10-strikeout game and fanned 31 over 24 2/3 innings in June, but after missing two months with a lat strain he sat most of August with a groin strain. He pitched in the Arizona Fall League simply to get some innings.

Still just 22 years old entering the season, he earned his first Spring Training invite and watched Verlander and Zumaya pitch their way onto the Major League club.

"I think seeing Verlander and Zumaya and some of the other guys up there sort of lights a fire under you," Parrish said.

Said Sanchez: "They've proven everything they had to prove in the Minor Leagues. They didn't have any business down there. Zumaya and Verlander have been able to stay healthy. They've fit into the right roles."

Sanchez's ability was recognized. Even after the injury-plagued season, he was sixth on the Tigers prospect list. And watching Verlander and Zumaya helped him want to prove himself.

"It just makes you more hungry," he said. "It makes you want to compete more, because you feel like you've got some ability."

With better conditioning, Sanchez finally had the health. Once he struck out eight batters in five scoreless innings for Erie in his season opener, he started putting up big numbers.

Back-to-back eight-strikeout games preceded a 13-strikeout gem over seven shutout innings on April 29. He came within an out of a shutout on May 23, the first of three straight nine-strikeout games that wrote his ticket to Toledo. After a short first start there, he racked up 13 1/3 scoreless innings over two outings.

The ability wasn't any different. The consistency was the major difference.

"He's starting to get a pretty good feel for what he's doing," Jones said. "There's times when he gets a little bit out of whack, I won't tell him what he's doing. I'll ask him and he'll tell me, and he's usually right. That's a big, big key. They've got to have a little feel for what's going on."

Said Sanchez: "It goes back to not trying to do too much worrying if I'm going to tweak this or being sore here. I'm going free and easy."

Not until mid-July did Sanchez slow down. That's partly from the elbow discomfort, ironically a product of his health. Heading into Thursday, he'd already pitched more innings this year than he had in any other season as a pro. The trade rumors arguably had an effect, too, though Sanchez says it's nothing he could control.

Whether it was an effect or not, it's over now. The only team he has to worry about wanting him is the Tigers. If they want him sooner rather than later, he'll be joining Verlander and Zumaya in a playoff race.

"It would be lovely," he said, "but those are things I can't control. Right now, I'm just trying to get back to 100 percent and helping these guys."

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... &fext=.jsp

Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:14 am

Sanchez was removed after throwing 60 pitches to cover four innings.

“[Sanchez] said he was feeling a little bit tight, and he hadn’t been out there for a few days,” Parrish said. “You could see in the fourth that his velocity dropped a little bit.”

Parrish said the team hopes to determine today whether Sanchez will make his next start.

Ughh, took this bit for an article in the Toledo Blade.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 7/60804017

I had noticed he got pulled early but I thought it was just because he hadn't pitched in a couple weeks.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:38 pm

I guess the organization doesn't really know much more about Sanchez's arm at the moment than we do, hence the lack of updates since his scratched start and now this. Things certainly don't sound too encouraging right now. Hopefully it's not much more than fatigue/dead arm after a long season + pitching in the Arizona Fall League.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:25 am

Finally! We know something! I still think they should have looked into it more before throwing this guy out there for his last start.
Tigers get good news on Sanchez

MRI on Futures Game star shows no ligament damage

Eric Lacy / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The Tigers received good news about minor league pitcher Humberto Sanchez Saturday.

Tigers trainer Kevin Rand said Sanchez has inflammation in his right elbow joint but an MRI revealed no ligament damage.

"We're going to give him some more time," Rand said. "We're not going to throw him for probably a week to 10 day-period and then rehab him back.

Rand said the injury was “not unusual,” especially for a pitcher who has thrown a career-high number of innings this year.

Sanchez has pitched a total of 123 innings for the Toledo Mud Hens and Erie (PA) SeaWolves. Friday he was placed on the Mud Hens’ disabled list.

Sanchez missed two starts after feeling some tenderness in his elbow after his July 19 start at Pawtucket.

His first start since then was Thursday and he gave up three runs on five hits in four innings against Louisville.

"He played catch on the 4th," Rand said. "He was better. We just didn't give him enough time."

Sanchez came to Detroit and was examined by Dr. Robert Teitge, who also works with the Pistons.

“My expectation is we’d be able to get him ready to pitch again (this season),” Rand said. "Obviously, you'd like to get him back on the mound and I think we feel fairly confident that we'll be able to do that."

Sanchez is 5-3 for Toledo with a 3.86 ERA since he was called up on June 11 from Class AA Erie.

Along with outfielder Cameron Maybin, Sanchez was one of the players discussed in trade rumors before the July 31 trade deadline.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:35 pm

MRIs aren't always foolproof. I hate elbows. I say let the man have the rest of the season off up to the last week of the season and have him fresh for the playoffs. I'd hate to see him ruin his arm when it seems like it is starting to click with him.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:18 am

moochman wrote:MRIs aren't always foolproof. I hate elbows. I say let the man have the rest of the season off up to the last week of the season and have him fresh for the playoffs. I'd hate to see him ruin his arm when it seems like it is starting to click with him.
They were cautious with Zumaya and Verlander last year, so I don't see why they wouldn't be every bit as cautious with Sanchez. It just seems to me that the risk of pitching him anymore this season greatly outweighs what we would get out of him. That's one reason why I question why they weren't more cautious about sending him out there for his last start. With the way the Francisco Liriano situation is playing out, there is a great precedent for why it may be better to be safe than sorry, especially since we aren't relying on him like the Twins have been relying on Liriano.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:15 am

It's been seemingly quiet with this guy lately. Is it safe to assume he's unofficially shut down for the season? Having him in the pen for Sept would have been great, but not enough to risk his longterm health.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:50 am

Elbows blow when they blow. I don't see any reason for him to touch another ball until ST. I would like to hear some kind of news. I fear that when it comes to elbows no news is bad news.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:09 pm

This is the latest update(Aug. 26) I saw on Sanchez.

NOTES: RHP Humberto Sanchez rejoined the Hens after seeing a doctor about the elbow problems that pushed him onto the disabled list Aug. 4. It was diagnosed as chronic elbow inflammation.

Nothing new I guess.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Tigers