Humberto Sanchez thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Humberto Sanchez thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:43 am

U think Sanchez has better stuff than Ledezma or Tata?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:05 am

Havok1517 wrote:U think Sanchez has better stuff than Ledezma or Tata?

Without a doubt. Sanchez has the stuff to be at or near the top of the rotation. Tata may end up a solid 3, 4 or 5 in the rotation. I think Ledezma is at best a long reliever with a spot start here and there.
Last edited by Dannomyte on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:07 am

Humberto wins IL Pitcher of the Week

The International League announced today (June 19) that Buffalo third baseman Andy Marte and Toledo pitcher Humberto Sanchez have been named the League’s Batter and Pitcher-of-the-Week for the period from June 12-18. Marte becomes the first member of the Buffalo Bisons to be honored with an IL weekly award in 2006, while Sanchez is the third different Mud Hens hurler to get the IL Pitcher-of-the-Week distinction, following Zach Miner (April 17-23), and Wilfredo Ledezma (June 5-11).

6’6” righty Humberto Sanchez made his Triple-A debut on June 8, beating Buffalo by tossing 5.2 innings and allowing just one run. He followed up his impressive debut with two scoreless performances last week, throwing a total of 13.1 innings of shutout baseball. Sanchez blanked the Syracuse SkyChiefs for 7.0 innings Tuesday night at Fifth Third Field, leading Toledo to a 1-0 victory. Humberto allowed just three hits and a walk while striking out seven. Sunday afternoon Sanchez went to Rochester to face the IL North Division leading Red Wings. Rochester couldn’t manage a hit against Sanchez until they were two outs into the 5th inning. They finally chased him from the game in the 7th after a hit batter was followed by a Garrett Jones single. It wasn’t enough though, as the Mud Hens bullpen shut down the Red Wings for the final 2.2 innings and Toledo won 3-0. For the week Sanchez was 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 13.1 IP, including 12 K. Humberto spent the first two months of the season with Double-A Erie, where he posted a 5-3 record with a 1.76 ERA and 86 K in 71.2 IP. He’s now won his first three Triple-A starts, and as of June 19, led all of minor league baseball in strikeouts with 103 combined between Erie and Toledo. Humberto is also the third Mud Hens starting pitcher to be named Pitcher of the Week by the International League, following Zach Miner (April 17-23) and Wil Ledezma (June 5-11).

Humberto Sanchez missed the first half of the 2005 season with a groin injury, and after coming back went 3-5 with a 5.57 ERA in 15 appearances with Erie. The 22-year-old looked better during his six starts with Mesa of the Arizona Fall League in the offseason, going 1-0 with a 2.13 ERA. The native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, was originally chosen in the 31st round of the 2001 draft by Detroit.

http://www.mudhens.com/view_news.asp?id=250

Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Definitely. He has a big frame (and a little meat on those bones) and a big fastball that neither Tata nor Ledezma can match. He needs to lower his pitch counts and improve his third pitch t remain a starter, but has already made huge strides in that department since last year. He is the team's #1 pitching prospect still in the minors (at least until Andrew Miller signs).
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:16 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:
Definitely. He has a big frame (and a little meat on those bones) and a big fastball that neither Tata nor Ledezma can match. He needs to lower his pitch counts and improve his third pitch t remain a starter, but has already made huge strides in that department since last year. He is the team's #1 pitching prospect still in the minors (at least until Andrew Miller signs).

Uh...Ledezma has a 95 MPH fastball, which is faster than Sanchez's 90+, a hard curve, and a great changeup.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:44 am

Havok1517 wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:

Uh...Ledezma has a 95 MPH fastball, which is faster than Sanchez's 90+, a hard curve, and a great changeup.
Sanchez works at 93-95 with some sink. He also has the better curveball, which many call a plus plus curveball.

Last time I saw Ledezma, the highest reading I saw was 93 mph working mostly at 91-92, which seems about in line with what I remember from last year and before, but he was starting then, not relieving, so maybe he is worth another look and is bringing it harder in shorter outings.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Humberto is human after all! :~( Her are his numbers from last nights start in which he got the loss.

6 IP 9 H 4 ER 1 BB 8 K
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:26 pm

My turn for a Humberto Sanchez article!
First the link to the freep source (while it lasts):
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060625/SPORTS02/606250633&SearchID=73248780453135
Prospect for greatness

Sanchez pitches his way up the ladder

June 25, 2006

BY JON PAUL MOROSI

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Toledo's Humberto Sanchez had a 0.47 ERA entering Friday's start. (Toledo Mud Hens)

You will likely hear Humberto Sanchez's name mentioned frequently this summer. And the context should tell a lot about the Tigers' current and future fortunes.

If club president and general manager Dave Dombrowski needs a big bat or a veteran arm July 31, potential trading partners are sure to ask about Sanchez, the 6-foot-6, 230-pound right-hander who can be called the team's best remaining minor league pitching prospect.

A continuation of his current performance at Triple-A Toledo -- 3-0 with a 0.47 ERA entering Friday's start -- could bring upon him the same "untouchable" status that might already be attached to rookies Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya.

Sanchez's performance last season could be described as inconclusive, after pulled lat and groin muscles limited him to 15 appearances at Double-A Erie. He went 3-5 with a 5.57 ERA. He lacked consistency.

"I showed flashes," he said of his 2005 season, "but my body never caught up."

But he regained confidence in the Arizona Fall League and made a renewed commitment to conditioning and nutrition over the off-season. He spent most of the winter in Orlando, where he had access to training facilities in Lakeland. And he monitored his portion sizes.

"I'm a big boy," he said. "I like to eat. My mom cooks great. My fiancee makes good food, but I'm watching what I eat. I dropped some weight, and, more importantly, I toned up. I feel more agile than in the past.

"I'm healthy," he said. "That makes the difference."

He's throwing his fastball between 90 and 94 m.p.h. and can run it up to 97 when needed. He's added a fourth pitch. He's already been named International League pitcher of the week. And, as a native of the Dominican Republic, he will pitch for the World Team in next month's All-Star Futures Game.

Sanchez was born in Santo Domingo and moved to the United States when he was 10. He grew up in New York and attended South Bronx High, located four blocks away from Yankee Stadium. So he was "kind of" a Yankees fan, he said, but attended more Mets games.

He is a very good friend of Zumaya's. The two pitchers are close in age -- Sanchez, 23, is about 18 months older -- and played at the same levels in the organization in each of the previous three seasons. They talk often. Sanchez, then, is keenly aware of how well represented the farm system is on the Tigers' current big-league roster.

"It's been unbelievable, the whole Tiger organization," Sanchez said, "and they don't look like they're slowing down."

He's right. And he's a reason.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:09 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:

Sanchez works at 93-95 with some sink. He also has the better curveball, which many call a plus plus curveball.

Last time I saw Ledezma, the highest reading I saw was 93 mph working mostly at 91-92, which seems about in line with what I remember from last year and before, but he was starting then, not relieving, so maybe he is worth another look and is bringing it harder in shorter outings.
I saw Ledezma today for the 2 batters he faced, but once I see more from him, I'll post back here to confirm or update what's been written about him around here. He only threw 10 pitches today, not enough to really say much about. It was his first time pitching in over a week, too.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:10 am

Get to know: Humberto Sanchez, Mud Hens starting pitcher

This season: In eight starts for the Mud Hens, has a 5-3 record with a 3.61ERA. ... Has missed his last two starts because of elbow soreness but will start Thursday. ... Began the year with Double-A Erie and had 11 starts, going 5-3 with a 1.76 ERA. ... Was named to the All-Star Futures Game in Pittsburgh and started for the World Team.

Career: Made 11 starts for Erie in 2005 and was 3-5 with a 5.57 ERA. ... In 2004 in Class A Lakeland, went 7-11 with a 5.21 ERA in 19 starts. ... Originally drafted by Los Angeles in the ninth round in 2000, but decided instead to attend Rockland (N.Y.) Community College and Connors (Okla.) State College. ... At Connors was a junior-college All-American, going 8-1 with a 1.17 ERA. ... The Tigers drafted him in the 31st round in 2001. ... Was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

NINE INNINGS

1. Favorite team growing up: I'm still somewhat of a Yankees fan. I went to more Mets games because I got more tickets. But I wasn't a big fan of either team.

2. Favorite player: I'm a big Manny Ramirez fan. I went to Yankee Stadium when the Indians came in town because he was from the area.

3. When did you move to the United States from the Dominican Republic? In April of 1994. I was 10. It was a culture shock. I was happy to be with my mom again, but it was a big culture shock. I came from a small town, and moving to New York City was a lot different. The language barrier was of course big. But the bi-lingual programs in New York are great. My mom came in '92 and my brother and I came two years later.

4. When did you realize you could play professionally? After junior year of high school I kind of thought about it. There were talks about it. All the hype and all the stuff started coming out. I was supposed to go really high, second through fifth round in high school, and it didn't happen.

5. You were drafted in the ninth round after high school. Why did you choose college? I wanted to experience the college life for a few years. It helped a lot. But I hurt my ulnar nerve. I had the surgery, and then the Tigers drafted me, said we'll let you back to school, see how you'll do. After that year, I was supposed to be a first or second-rounder, so they gave me first-round money to sign.

6. What's the difference between this year and last year for you? Being healthy. Being on the field, being able to pitch every five games. Last year I would show one good game and then it would disappear for the next two games. I missed half the season with injuries, so my body never held up to the expectations that I had for it. I pulled my lat muscle, and then I started spring training, and then I had mono in extended spring training. So I was home just doing nothing. Then I had to start my throwing program again and next thing I knew the first two months of the season were gone.

7. Favorite baseball movie: I like Natural. Also Eight Men Out, Major League. Bull Durham. I like them all.

8. Toughest hitter to face: Especially at this level, there's a lot of guys who can hurt you. Every game you start, you're always going to find one guy or two guys who might not be the best hitters on the team but for some reason they're tough for you.

9. Biggest sports thrill: Signing my first pro contract. It's a big deal, you know? I had to wait a while. After being hurt, it was like, wow, is this going to happen now, is this ever going to happen.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /607300336
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Tigers