Is modern-day Pujols the best hitter ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is modern-day Pujols the best hitter ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:47 pm

Yoda wrote:Best hitter so far has been Bonds in any given season:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leade ... ason.shtml

wow, that's kind of neat. Maybe I'm biased in favor of Pujols b/c he's bombed the Cubs over the years? :-? Still, to have done what he's done at his age really just blows me away.

While Bonds' monster season was amazing, look at his career, particularly the early, .223 part vs. big Al.

Bonds

Pujols

Ted Williams (whose headless corpse will undoubtedly come kick my ass for even suggesting he's not the best hitter of all time...)

I still think that Pujols, who may still have some even more amazing years in front of him, will surpass Williams. While he may not catch the single season fireworks Bonds put up, I don't see him having any asterisks either and I have to give him bonus points for being a leader on the team and playing hard and being a pleasant human being in public unlike either Bonds or Williams give him some bonus points in my book.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Tue May 02, 2006 2:12 am

bellings wrote:Let's think of the question this way, if you were a pitcher, is there any player in the history of baseball you would less want to face than modern-day Pujols?

In the most important of situations? Ruth, Ted Williams, Cobb, Mantle, not Bonds because he has stunk in the clutch many times, about tied with Ichiro.

[/u]
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Tue May 02, 2006 8:39 am

No pitcher fears Ichiro, he slaps a single and then you get the next guy out. He wouldn't even make a top 50 list of all time feared hitters.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby cordscords » Tue May 02, 2006 9:06 am

I think in like '94 or '95 Ted Williams met Randy Johnson. Ted was dared to go up and hit against Johnson.

Johnson was joking around with him saying he would strike him out. Ted apparently wanted no part of it and accepted his challenge, hitting 3 hard balls into the outfield.

Now that is impressive 8-o
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby DGroundhog » Tue May 02, 2006 11:43 am

It's just scary to see that the guy has stepped up to the plate from Day 1 and delivered like nobody I've ever seen before. He's averaged 40 HR and a .330 average his first 5 years in the majors.

If he does that for another 10 years he is only at 600 HR's, so even as good as he's been he's got a long way to go to be called the greatest hitter ever.

I'm just glad I picked him over A-Rod both chances I had. I doubt I'll take anyone else first overall for a quite a few years.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue May 02, 2006 12:11 pm

DGroundhog wrote:It's just scary to see that the guy has stepped up to the plate from Day 1 and delivered like nobody I've ever seen before. He's averaged 40 HR and a .330 average his first 5 years in the majors.

If he does that for another 10 years he is only at 600 HR's, so even as good as he's been he's got a long way to go to be called the greatest hitter ever.

I'm just glad I picked him over A-Rod both chances I had. I doubt I'll take anyone else first overall for a quite a few years.

The only thing that I question is his age. I really hope that he is only 26 years old because he is just so good and likable.

I agree he is a better pick than Arod also. He's a freak.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rainman23 » Tue May 02, 2006 12:35 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:I read his biography last year and everything he did just amazes me. After coming back from war he took bp, first time in months. He misses the first 3 and then hits 6 straight HR's..

Not to diminish Williams's accomplishments at all, but I think you must have this one wrong. I wasn't there, but I've heard thousands of times in my life that the record for consecutive HR's is four. I don't think everybody overlooked Williams and his six. Were you saying he hit HR's in six straight games?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 02, 2006 12:37 pm

rainman23 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:I read his biography last year and everything he did just amazes me. After coming back from war he took bp, first time in months. He misses the first 3 and then hits 6 straight HR's..

Not to diminish Williams's accomplishments at all, but I think you must have this one wrong. I wasn't there, but I've heard thousands of times in my life that the record for consecutive HR's is four. I don't think everybody overlooked Williams and his six. Were you saying he hit HR's in six straight games?

It was batting practice, as stated by the bold...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby rainman23 » Tue May 02, 2006 12:44 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
rainman23 wrote:

It was batting practice, as stated by the bold...

Sorry. Read it too quickly. I thought he jumped off the plane, put on his uniform, took batting practice, had a sip of water, and then hit six straight homers. I suck.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Tue May 02, 2006 2:45 pm

Ender wrote:No pitcher fears Ichiro, he slaps a single and then you get the next guy out. He wouldn't even make a top 50 list of all time feared hitters.

He's proven to be among the best at getting on base in the clutch. If you are in the most critical situations (bases loaded, bottom 9th, 1 run lead, 2 outs) a player that is so good in the clutch and gets on base more often than Pujols can be just as, if not more deadly.

Pujols career OBP RISP/RISP 2 outs/Loaded .462/.489/.351, Ichiro .462/.507/.464.

Ichiro is a super clutch player. He often expands the zone in non-RISP situations leading to relatively inferior stats, it's his way. However, when the pitcher is forced to throw strikes, there are few players (ever?) who get on base as often as Ichiro. This is more of a guarantee to produce a run in the most important situations than Pujols has offered. He also has the ability to put the bat on the ball better than probably anyone I've seen in these situations. I'm wondering if Forecaster does contact rates situationally, I'd venture to say not even Pierre can compete with Ichiro in that aspect.

For me, the hitter I'd most want to have up in the most crucial situation really hinges on the circumstances. No doubt Ichrio does not make my list if there are no runners on.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers