Is modern-day Pujols the best hitter ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is modern-day Pujols the best hitter ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is modern-day Pujols the best hitter ever?

Postby bellings » Mon May 01, 2006 2:09 am

Of course, we have to account for era differences. Ruth put of some sick numbers, especially when he was out-homering other teams. (Not players, teams.) Bonds and McGwire were on the juice, so they don't count.

So the comparison I'm talking about, if any player in the history of baseball was facing modern-day pitchers, if Pujols better than anyone else? I say 'yes'.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 01, 2006 2:27 am

Ted Williams is better than anyone else, no question, no discussion, as a pure hitter. He hit for more avg, had faster bat speed (could take the ball out of the catcher's glove for a hit!), 20-10 vision, lost 4-5 PRIME years to WAR!, same power in parks that were much BIGGER. There isn't a question as to whether or not Williams is the greatest hitter, its a pure common sense FACT!
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 01, 2006 2:27 am

Entirely too early to even have rumblings of this discussion. Plus, what's the statement, "Bonds and McGwire were both on the juice, so they don't count"?? Last I checked, they'd both failed the same # of drug tests as both Ruth and Pujols... not trying to get the whole debate going on that front again, but that's just a silly statement to be made, on a debate that needs another 6-7 years before it can even be discussed seriously.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 373)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 01, 2006 7:17 am

I'm very partial to Williams but I'd give Big Al the edge so far. I dunno if anybody's checked his vision but his eyes seem pretty canny to me. He also exercises a lot more leadership on the team than any of those guys, for what that's worth.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby superfly » Mon May 01, 2006 7:41 am

Tony Gwynn and Ted Williams, period.
superfly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby josebach » Mon May 01, 2006 8:48 am

Havok1517 wrote:Ted Williams is better than anyone else, no question, no discussion, as a pure hitter. He hit for more avg, had faster bat speed (could take the ball out of the catcher's glove for a hit!), 20-10 vision, lost 4-5 PRIME years to WAR!, same power in parks that were much BIGGER. There isn't a question as to whether or not Williams is the greatest hitter, its a pure common sense FACT!

I agree Ted Williams was the best hitter of his generation, but considering how much baseball has evolved and diversified, there's absolutley no way to predict how good he would be against modern competition. Also, considering there was 100 million less people in the country 60 years ago and no blacks and hispanics in the bigs, the talent pool was much, much smaller. Granted, there were fewer teams, but there also wasn't the money involved and I don't think it was anywhere as near as competitive.

You may be right, but considering it's impossible to prove, it just sounds stupid calling it a "pure common sense fact".
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon May 01, 2006 8:51 am

I'm going to wait until Pujols career is over before calling him the all-time best hitter.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Postby cordscords » Mon May 01, 2006 9:00 am

All I know is Pujols is an absolute monster. And when he finally does retire, we will probably look back on his career #'s and say:

"Wow...how does...wow"

He's that special of a player, and he will probably be thrown into the discussion at the end of his career.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby TB13 » Mon May 01, 2006 9:24 am

The two greatest players of all time are Ruth and Cobb. NO ONE even belongs in the same universe as the Babe. He was hitting homers in an era where the outfield fences were close to 500 ft away. Think of the amount of homers he would have if he had an extra 3,000 at-bats due to longer regular seasons like players do now.
The Babe may not have played in an integrated-era, but the ball park effects and facing non-watered down pitching more than makes up for it. If he had to play in some of these bandbox ballparks today and face some of the so-called pitching today, he would probably have a thousand homers.
Phat Albert is off to a great start. However, it remains to be seen if he is ever worthy of being named alongside of hitters like Ruth, Cobb, Joe D. or Teddy Ballgame.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jebnasty » Mon May 01, 2006 9:42 am

williams. however, if pujols stays healthy for the next 15 years, aaron's record will be in jeopardy.
jebnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers