The 3 biggest idiot franchises - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The 3 biggest idiot franchises

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:10 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Can we add the Mariners? I mean, I'm a fan and all, but they have certainly made their lion's share of boneheaded decisions in the years following Piniella and Gillick. Bob Melvin was atrocious, and Bill Bavasi doesn't seem to want to field a competitive team with the type of talent he's been signing. (Extension for Ibanez? Jarrod Washburn?)

Ibanez is one of the few Mariners who can hit. Washburn pitches at least. Not saying the club is making great moves, but those 2 were not bad.

I'm glad you mentioned this Hootie, because I was about to.

The frustration should be aimed at the Beltre signing first and foremost. Also, with Safeco field being so extreme, the organization would have been a lot better off spending the Beltre money on great SP.

Ibanez is a serviceable player in all respects.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheOmen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:40 pm

Easily the Phillies. 1 championship in 100+ years of baseball. The losingest franchise in all of sports if I'm not mistaken. Woe is me...
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:24 pm

Still suprised the Houston Texans didn't make this list...
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:40 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:KC's management is not idiotic. It's just greedy and run by scumbags. If you want 'dumb' management, look no further than the Yankees. I have no problem admitting this. The Yankees have run their franchise like fools for years. Doesn't really matter who you put the blame on, Steinbrenner, Cashman, Tampa faction, etc. They have been moronic with their management approach.

Completely ignoring a farm system, while throwing obscene amounts of money at overrated free agents such as Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Jose Contreras, etc. (the list goes on and on).

If the Yankees used their finances to build a cream of the crop farm system, and then used their excess money in luring the top free agents to the team, they would dominate the league to the point where it would not be fair. They would win the World Series every year if they knew what they were doing. They have so much more than everyone else, but they just don't know how to use it. They have been the dumbest over the past 5 years or so.

It is not like they do not spend money on the farm system. Quite the contrary. It is that those band of merry fools led by Conners and Newman down in Tampa and the Clueless One in NY could not evaluate talent if their lives depended on it. Look at their first round picks over the years. Other than Jeter, they are all a bunch of losers until just recently with Duncan in 03. They have not developed a top SP since Andy Pettitte either.

91 Brien Taylor
92 Derek Jeter
93 Matt Drews
94 Brian Buchanan
95 Shea Morenz
96 Eric Milton
97 Tyrell Godwin
98 Andrew Brown
Mark Prior (could not sign)
99 David Walling
00 David Parish (just awful)
01 John-Ford Griffin
Bornson Sardinha
Jon Skaggs
02 Brandon Weehan
03 Eric Duncan
04 Philip Hughes
05 C.J. Henry
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Mon May 01, 2006 10:05 am

Pirates

Pirates

Pirates
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: The 3 biggest idiot franchises

Postby The Jury » Mon May 01, 2006 11:52 am

drpiranha wrote:In no particular order.

1. The Twins with their SP decisions.

2. The Angels and their managerial decisions (calling up Kendrick to sit on the bench for 2 weeks? Starting Finley and his under .200 average over Juan Rivera last year? Starting Bengie Gil and his .150 average 3 or 4 years ago against lefties and benching Adam Kennedy? Batiing Erstad and his under .300 OBP for a couple of years in the #2 hole or the # 5 hole? Letting Alfonso hit last night with his .136 average with 2 outs in the 9th and the tying and winning runs on base when Salmon and Quinlan, both hitting over .300 were available?)

3. The Devil Rays, who would rather keep their best players in the minors so they can hold on to them longer. Yes, Delmon is an idiot. However isn't TB a little complicit with how they treated him. Why not even a September call-up last year and why are journeymen like Damon Hollins being given opportunities, when Young could have been given a shot? I repeat. Young is an idiot, but TB has added to his frustration by the way they have treated him.

Comments? Your additions to the list?

You realize a player can't raise his average by sitting on the bench right? The only way to raise a BA is to get at-bats, and be productive with them.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 01, 2006 1:41 pm

[quote="TheYanks04"]

KC is owned by a Billionaire. They have the pocket book, esp given the welfare they receive. They are just plain old cheap.[/quote]

If money talked then the Twins would have the best players. Their owner has the most money of any single owner, by a lot.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby J35J » Mon May 01, 2006 1:50 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:Here would be my top 3:

1. Kansas City - Pernenial losers an owner who does not have the pocketbook to compete. They call up their good arms too soon and ruin them.

2. Baltimore - Probably the worse personal decisions over the last 5 years. Looks like they might be turning it around this year.

3. Colorado / Texas (Tie) - Can't seem to find the winning formula in their hitters parks.

Excluded Washington as a special case. Florida in the running, but hey, they've won 2 World Series in 10 years, hard to complain about personal decisions.

As far a the Angel criticism goes, I think the biggest mistake they've made in the last couple of years is letting Jenks and Turnbow go for virtually nothing, now of course both closing. Could you imagine the Angels bullpen with those guys?

KC is owned by a Billionaire. They have the pocket book, esp given the welfare they receive. They are just plain old cheap.

I hate when people say this. Glass WORKS for Wal-Mart, he DOESN'T OWN Wal-Mart. He is not even close to a Billionaire, he is NOT even a HALF Billionaire. Anyway, he is still a piss poor owner though!! ;-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby great gretzky » Mon May 01, 2006 4:18 pm

Yea, I was about to say the "small market" Phillies. Its ridiculous. Philly is the number four market in the entire nation. The Eagles and Flyers have a rabid fan base, and the Sixers are solid. What is the problem here?

I fail to see how the Yankees could be "bad"--There are worth over a billion dollars as a franchise, make the playoffs like every year and have won a string of World Series wins in recent years.

I think signing randy johnson was stupid, because then they still had to sign Damon. I know beltran ain't lighting it up at the moment, but they should have signed him and been more patient with vazquez and liber in my opinion.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Eagle Baseball » Mon May 01, 2006 4:48 pm

How can we be midway through page 3 and the Cubs have not been mentioned? I am a fan but they are the worst. They are a big market team but act like a small market team. They have no clue how to build a team.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers