The 3 biggest idiot franchises - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The 3 biggest idiot franchises

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PBRmeASAP » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:07 pm

It is so nice to read one of these lists and not see the Brewers name pop up. We were number 1 for pretty much all of the 90's. :~(
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby giants! » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:20 pm

PBRmeASAP wrote:It is so nice to read one of these lists and not see the Brewers name pop up. We were number 1 for pretty much all of the 90's. :~(

You have Sheets,Turnbow,Capuano, Capellan,Weeks,Fielder, Hart, and Hardy. Any team with that many great youngsters has good management.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dark Knight » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Tavish wrote:
giants! wrote:The dumbest managements are the ones who have money but refuse to spend it

Thats exactly the opposite of how I see it. The dumbest managements are those that spend their money poorly.

;-D

What good is a 200 million payroll if your starting pitching staff is average at best? Sounds like some overpaid pitchers, and it's the dumb management's fault. Money spent poorly is dumb.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:19 pm

giants! wrote:
PBRmeASAP wrote:It is so nice to read one of these lists and not see the Brewers name pop up. We were number 1 for pretty much all of the 90's. :~(

You have Sheets,Turnbow,Capuano, Capellan,Weeks,Fielder, Hart, and Hardy. Any team with that many great youngsters has good management.

Quite a few of those guys came from being very bad. They had quite a few top 10 draft picks.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:20 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
Tavish wrote:
giants! wrote:The dumbest managements are the ones who have money but refuse to spend it

Thats exactly the opposite of how I see it. The dumbest managements are those that spend their money poorly.

;-D

What good is a 200 million payroll if your starting pitching staff is average at best? Sounds like some overpaid pitchers, and it's the dumb management's fault. Money spent poorly is dumb.

They (or at leat I) do not call him Clueless Cashman for nothing. I think 40 M for Pavano and 21 M for Wright deserves a 3 year contract extension as GM don't you? Still, he is not as bad as the Bowden's or the Beattie's or the O'Dowd's of the league.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nuggets » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:23 pm

I'm pretty shocked everyones #1 isn't Washington DC :-?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:37 pm

nuggets wrote:I'm pretty shocked everyones #1 isn't Washington DC :-?

Well, they got the Expos to be a .500 team last year. They can't be that bad.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Laean » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:44 pm

drpiranha wrote:Just because Santana turned out to be a stud, does not vindicate keeping him in the bullpen that long. he could have been a stud a year sooner, if they moved him into the rotation earlier.

Santana actually blew people away as a starter in 2002 and was probably one of the best 2 starters on that team (He started 14 games in 2002 and 18 in 2003). He didn't become a full time starter till mid 03.
He proved he was good, but they kept him in the bullpen with the same excuse they are using for Liriano (though Liriano has yet to prove he can start in the ML).

As to Angels, I'm referring to Scioscia's decisions, not their ability to draft players. Scioscia is fantastic in the clubhouse and with his ability to handle players. His decisions on who to play leaves more than a lot to be desired.

As to TB, most people agree that Young is being held back so they that the Devil rays have more productive years before free agency (but at what cost to the frustration of the player?). Remember that in Spring Training last year, Pinella said that Young was his best outfielder.

the title to this threat says "idiot FRANCHISES." if it's scioscia you don't agree with, then Angels should not have been posted. and i disagree with you about scioscia.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Idiot

Postby Laean » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:49 pm

joeg24 wrote:Hold up... Idiot Franchise... the Twins???

How can a team hovering around 50 mil in salary cap that's been very compeitive the last 5 years be called idiots? Because they are slowly working in a prospect (that this idiot franchise got as a throw in on a trade)? Should we treat him like Prior? Wood? Trade him for Victor Zambrano? Be patient, this one player means so much for this organization, we can't buy a 15 million dollar arm to replace him. this is it... we have to be careful...

I'd say

#1 - Yankees
#2 - Mets
#3 - Dodgers

All of us fantasy rubes could dominate this sport with those unfair advantages these teams fall short with most years (well the last handful for the yankee's).

i agree with you about the twins.

HOOTIE, i agree with you about ibanez. he's a solid player. if there are any mariners decisions that needs to be criticized, it's getting beltre.

my three would be:

reds
yankees
dodgers

i want to add mets for the victor zambrano for kazmir deal, and the diamondbacks for signing russ ortiz, but i suppose those are only specific examples of bad decisions, not a condemnation of the entire management as a whole.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:06 pm

KC's management is not idiotic. It's just greedy and run by scumbags. If you want 'dumb' management, look no further than the Yankees. I have no problem admitting this. The Yankees have run their franchise like fools for years. Doesn't really matter who you put the blame on, Steinbrenner, Cashman, Tampa faction, etc. They have been moronic with their management approach.

Completely ignoring a farm system, while throwing obscene amounts of money at overrated free agents such as Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Jose Contreras, etc. (the list goes on and on).

If the Yankees used their finances to build a cream of the crop farm system, and then used their excess money in luring the top free agents to the team, they would dominate the league to the point where it would not be fair. They would win the World Series every year if they knew what they were doing. They have so much more than everyone else, but they just don't know how to use it. They have been the dumbest over the past 5 years or so.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers