Give me a break Baldelli! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Give me a break Baldelli!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Give me a break Baldelli!

Postby Bozo » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:10 pm

What is with this guy? I protected him from last year at a very good price in an AL only league. Things seemed to be going okay in the spring, we were all eagerly anticipating his first appearance in the outfield. Then the nagging little hamstring injury that "might" keep him out of the opening day lineup. Then it was the first week, now it's the first 6 weeks and it sounds like it's not getting any better. Enough already!! I though he was quoted as saying that he could have played that first week but sat out for precaution.
Okay, rant over.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kid sox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:05 pm

Baldelli is coming back from not just one, but two serious injuries (ACL and Tommy John) so it would've be quite amazing if for him to not only start the season, but be productive.

I would temper my expectations for when he does return. Given the type of injuries, rust, and his relative inexperience....I see a fringe mix leaguer at best if he can stay healthy.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikhayl » Mon May 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Ok, I'm starting to get seriously pizzed here.

Update: Baldelli's minor league rehab assignment and subsequent return from the DL have been pushed back, following him reporting new soreness in his hamstring on Friday, the Rays' official site reports.

Recommendation: Baldelli was originally expected off the DL on May 5, but that won't happen now. A new date can't be set until the team knows when he can begin his minor league rehab assignment. "It's not a huge setback," Baldelli said. "It still feels pretty good. It just doesn't feel 100 percent."
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chinst » Mon May 01, 2006 2:26 pm

Well, at least I got him cheap in a keeper league -- maybe at this rate I can plug him into my lineup NEXT May?

Seriously though, please don't say break and Baldelli in the same sentence, as it is likely to cause him another injury...

!+)
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The G-Man » Mon May 01, 2006 5:02 pm

kid sox wrote:Baldelli is coming back from not just one, but two serious injuries (ACL and Tommy John) so it would've be quite amazing if for him to not only start the season, but be productive.

I would temper my expectations for when he does return. Given the type of injuries, rust, and his relative inexperience....I see a fringe mix leaguer at best if he can stay healthy.

Besides this, he has no talent.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jh2031 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:29 pm

The G-Man wrote:
kid sox wrote:Baldelli is coming back from not just one, but two serious injuries (ACL and Tommy John) so it would've be quite amazing if for him to not only start the season, but be productive.

Besides this, he has no talent.

If you think that...you're an idiot.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Hozchelaga » Mon May 01, 2006 10:14 pm

Whoever said Baldelli doesn't have talent is incorrect. He does. But somehow, he's overrated just the same.

Leaving aside the fact that he's made of glass, he's a good 3rd or 4th fantasy outfielder. Here are his 2003 and 2004 lines:

2003 Baldelli .289 89 11 78 27
2004 Baldelli .280 79 16 74 17

They're good numbers. But they're Aaron Rowand numbers, not Carl Crawford numbers.

So why is everyone so high on him? I think it's expectations. There seems to be this feeling that he should be a regular 20-20 guy. There's a few problems running against that line of thinking, though:

1. His peripherals suggest he doesn't hit that well. His 32 and 27 doubles in his last two campaigns suggest he's hitting about as many homers now as he is likely to (i.e., the 5 less doubles in 2004 fell in for jacks). He strikes out three times for every time he walks. Yes, he's only 25; but every season he's injured counts against him developing the experience he needs to add pop to his bat and develop major-league plate discipline.

2. He probably doesn't run as well as his steal totals suggest. He was caught 10 times (out of 37 attempts) in 2003, although there was a marked improvement in 2004. If he isn't the 2004 version, he won't get the go-ahead; and

3. Goes without saying, but you have to play to be a regular asset. I think Baldelli's ship has sailed for now. Check back in a few months.
Hozchelaga
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bosy Billups » Tue May 02, 2006 12:17 am

Why is everyone so high on him?

HE WAS BORN IN 1981! He hasn't come close to his peak yet, and has not had substantial time in the majors to peak yet. His ceiling is just below Crawford.
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hozchelaga » Tue May 02, 2006 2:54 am

See, this is what I'm talking about. Expectations are way too high.

So, Baldelli's 24. Youth is an asset; I won't argue with that. But let's look at your Crawford-Baldelli comparison.

Crawford numbers by age:

Age 21 .281 80 5 54 55
Age 22 .296 104 11 55 59
Age 23 .301 101 15 81 46

Baldelli numbers by age:

Age 21 .289 89 11 78 27
Age 22 .280 79 16 74 17
Age 23 Did Not Play (Injured)

To me, their playing records are not even close. Even at age 21, Crawford was a top-20 man, while Baldelli would be drafted in the tenth round. That doesn't make Baldelli a bad player. As I said, he's a talented guy.

But your own argument demonstrates that Baldelli's probably not going to be a Carl Crawford, as everyone seems to expect. He'll probably be what he is: a very good all-rounder.

If he ever takes the field.
Hozchelaga
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Geek » Tue May 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Baldelli won't be a factor in 2006.

He may be able to contribute in 2007, but we'll have to see.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates