Corey Patterson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Corey Patterson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Corey Patterson

Postby This is the year » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:31 am

We've all seen the worst of this guy over the last couple of years, but he's been putting together a pretty nice run of games while Matos is on the DL. Any BAL fans want to shed some light on this? Any way he keeps this up or retains playing time after Matos gets back?

I've also heard that he's "unteachable," but we know how much potential this guy has. Anyone think he might have a decent season?
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dissent » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:58 am

Patterson put together one nice season with the Cubs, but I think his problems over the next couple years may have partly been organizational. I always thought the potential was still there, but I'm sure all the crap with the Cubs took a toll. I didn't agree with them sending him down to the minors while he was in a slump. They gave up on him too early and I expected him to do a lot better in Baltimore. That said, I'm still not convinced of his long term worth just because of his history of inconsistency. I picked him up for the short term in my league while Coco Crisp is still out, but I'll probably drop him later.
dissent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:44 pm

If you have space Patterson is worth a spot just because of his potential. I think you have to jump at him if you room actually. And you can't wait too long with because that's what everyone else is doing. I think he'll finish with at least 20 hr/sb (I don't want to guess the avg ;-7 ).
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rentz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:47 pm

its funny how almost overnight patterson went from fa wire garbage to must have aquisition. you really think he'll keep this up?
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby This is the year » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:05 pm

rentz wrote:its funny how almost overnight patterson went from fa wire garbage to must have aquisition. you really think he'll keep this up?

Did I suggest he was a "must have" acquisition? I was simply curious as to whether people thought he was worthy of a roster spot. If you remember, two years ago he had 24 home runs and 32 stolen bases. There aren't many players in baseball who can potentially produce like that, so I think discussion of his chances at repeating is definitely merited.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:31 pm

I have two thoughts on Patterson

1) Dusty Baker really screwed the guy up in Chicago.

2) He does not know the strike zone, which leads to a low OBP, so teams don't want him leading off or batting second. Thats been the knock against him.

He's the perfect number 9 hitter in the AL. He's got speed you want to take advantage of at the bottom of the lineup, plus he's got pop in his bat, and who cares if he strikes out a lot in the 9 hole.

IN deep 12 team leagues, I would give him a bench spot. I'm in a 12 teamer, and he has been added a dropped three times already.

In a shallower league, I think there a better options until he can improve his OPS and reduce his K rate. I'm in a 10 teamer, and he's been added/dropped once.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby rentz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:36 pm

This is the year wrote:
rentz wrote:its funny how almost overnight patterson went from fa wire garbage to must have aquisition. you really think he'll keep this up?

Did I suggest he was a "must have" acquisition? I was simply curious as to whether people thought he was worthy of a roster spot. If you remember, two years ago he had 24 home runs and 32 stolen bases. There aren't many players in baseball who can potentially produce like that, so I think discussion of his chances at repeating is definitely merited.

sorry, i wasnt infering that you did.
im just seeing patterson being picked up left and right now
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sensei » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:45 pm

I just picked him up in my 10-teamer cause I'm in bad need of steals. He batted leadoff for the O's today, only went 1-5 but stole a base too. Fantasy wise, K's don't hurt me, so his SB's plus homers will be great...I hope he can keep it up.
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LouisC9999 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:40 pm

I just picked him up too ;-D ;-D ;-D
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Corey's been around the block a while; I just went to peek at his age expecting to see that he is 33, and probably not likely to have a resurgence due to his older age, however to my suprise, he still is only 27? Born in 1979. That's still young in baseball years.

Possibly if Baltimore shows some faith in him he will find what potential he had in the past within himself. He's worth a flier, and I picked him up a couple days ago in my 15 teamer. Nice to also see him bat leadoff.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers