David if loving you is wrong then I don't want to be Wright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David if loving you is wrong then I don't want to be Wright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikekim2121 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:46 pm

While I would take M Cab over Wright 99.9 out of 100 times, I believe they are comparable and pretty close. Wright's possibility of SB's gets him very close in fantasy.

I know Cabrera had a nice amount of SB's this year but come on, he is by no means remotely close to an SB threat. I love the kid but he can balloon up to 300 lbs at times.

I think his 9 SB's this year can be attributed to people not giving him respect and also being a pretty smart player, kinda like Pujols with his 16 steals last year.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:59 pm

We'll the regular season is over. They are essentially the same age, and MCab has a year more experience over Wright.

.339 26HR's 114RBI's 112Runs 9SB's - MCab
.311 26HR's 116RBI's 97Runs 20SB's - Wright

The only really differences here is in BA and SB's. Wright had an awful second half, and that really hurt his final numbers. MCab was amazing throughout, but I think he is starting to show that he isn't in the same class as Pujols, and he's not a Manny clone either, he might not have the power that either of those two do. I don't see either Wright or MCab hitting 40HR's.

I see these two as very comprable players. I think MCab is the better pure hitter, but I'm not ready to say that he will end up as the better player when all is said and done. Wright has great instincts and work ethic, and from a fantasy perspective I don't think there will be much of a difference between these two in the long run. I think you will see the same amount of HR's/Runs/RBI's with Cabrera having a .10-.15 point advantage in average in any given year with Wright having 10-15 additional steals.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:14 pm

That equates to a 3-5 dollar difference. MCab has proven to be the better player and fantasy pick at this point imo. They could fluctuate around each other the next few years, but when you factor in the MCab is doing it with no protection and has done so for a longer number of years thae it is pretty clear cut imo. Wright has one of the best lineups in baseball around him and still could not outmatch Cabrera in runs scored and barely outdid him in RBIs.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:39 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:That equates to a 3-5 dollar difference. MCab has proven to be the better player and fantasy pick at this point imo. They could fluctuate around each other the next few years, but when you factor in the MCab is doing it with no protection and has done so for a longer number of years thae it is pretty clear cut imo. Wright has one of the best lineups in baseball around him and still could not outmatch Cabrera in runs scored and barely outdid him in RBIs.
Remember, Wright hit 5th most of the time and Cabrera hit 3rd all season. It would make sense for him to a least score more. And you don't need lots of protection if guys are always on base for you and the hitters behind you are competent. Ramirez and Uggla turned out to be very good and that definitely helped with MCab's production. Wright could've posted much better numbers, but he was very inconsistent in the second half. I definitely expect Wright to continue to at worst match MCab in rbi as long as the guys keep getting on base like they were. Anyway, MCab was the better player this season, but I don't know if I could say he was much more valuable (if he is) than Wright.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:28 pm

Cabrera is immensly talented. So is Wright. I don't know why Wright slumped, but he looked lost at the plate. But he found it again, and I don't think he is going to slump like that very often. I expect Wright's numbers to improve next year, while I expect Cabrera's average to fall a bit.

If I were to predict stat lines:

.325 33Hr's 120Rbi's 100Runs 5SB's - Cabrera
.310 32Hr's 120Rbi's 100Runs 20SB's - Wright

I don't really see much of a difference at all, I just think that Cabrera won't hit .339 - he will hit closer to .325. So it's the difference in .15 in average to 15 SB's. To me Cabrera is the more talented, with a slightly higher ceiling, but Wright has the superior supporting cast, and so I see them earning about the same thing in 07.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:58 am

Will Cabrera ever be able to get out of Florida in the near future?
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TB13 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:08 am

The differences between MCab & Wright manifest itself more in the leagues that include OPS. Yes, Uggla & Ramirez turne out to be better, but it's not quite the same as hitting behing guys like Reyes, Betran & Delgado. Wright had more RBi opportunities, hit in a much better lineup and ina better hitting park (yes, I know that Shea is still a pitcher's park). MCab's periperal stats (BA, OBP & OPS) have had dramatic increase in each year, while Wright basically stayed the same.

While Wright did not bat lower than .280 in any month, he DID have a period of two months in the middle of the season where his batting average slipped a whopping nearly 80 points. In the last 3 months of the season, he hit 7 homers. So, yes, Wright was consistent, but if you look really close it is not unfair to say that he was uneven. And that uneveness is what will seperate him from being an excellent player, to being elite. Off course he has plenty of time to figure it out, but the fact that he has not shown much improvement as a hitter in 2.5 years would worry me. Which, again, is not to say that he is not a very good player, but considering how MCab's stats improved from year to year, they are simply not as close as one may think.

Oh, and IMO, Wright's steals are getting overblown. I do not see a consistenty 20 base stealer. I see someone who will hover right around 15.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:22 am

The power outage bothers me. He was on pace for 40 HR and didn't even crack 30.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TB13 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:53 am

Yoda wrote:The power outage bothers me. He was on pace for 40 HR and didn't even crack 30.

This is regarding Wright I am presuming?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:54 pm

Does anyone know Cabrera's contract situation, and maybe if hell be able to go seek other options on the free agent market or will he likely sign with florida. Just wondering, cuz i dont see him ever hitting 40 in dolphins stadium.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers