Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Tue May 02, 2006 4:34 am

COULD NOT HAVE WORKED OUT BETTER!!!

Damon showed some real class, tipping his cap to his fans and ex-teammates. When he did so, the vast majority of boos turned to cheers. Absolutely terrific moment!

From that point on, he got booed because he's now wearing enemy colors. And there is NOTHING wrong with booing, as long as it's done in fun, which it was.

Had Damon been greeted with objects being tossed in his direction or vile and obscene outbursts, that would have been a different story. But as far as I know, there was nothing of that sort

Also, as an observation, it certainly looked as though Damon wished he was still playing for Boston. That seemed pretty obvious in his expression as he looked around the ballpark at virtually every break in the action.

Everyone knows that Damon would have preferred to stay in Boston, but that the Yankees have him 12 million reasons to leave. Kind of tough to find fault with the guy for making that move, isn't it? (And please, some of my fellow Sox faithful...spare us all the posturing about him being a "traitor"...who WOULDN'T jump at that kind of money???)

He'll get booed some more this evening. It's been a fun part of the game since the game began.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:34 am

thehat wrote:COULD NOT HAVE WORKED OUT BETTER!!!

Damon showed some real class, tipping his cap to his fans and ex-teammates. When he did so, the vast majority of boos turned to cheers. Absolutely terrific moment!

From that point on, he got booed because he's now wearing enemy colors. And there is NOTHING wrong with booing, as long as it's done in fun, which it was.

Had Damon been greeted with objects being tossed in his direction or vile and obscene outbursts, that would have been a different story. But as far as I know, there was nothing of that sort

Also, as an observation, it certainly looked as though Damon wished he was still playing for Boston. That seemed pretty obvious in his expression as he looked around the ballpark at virtually every break in the action.

Everyone knows that Damon would have preferred to stay in Boston, but that the Yankees have him 12 million reasons to leave. Kind of tough to find fault with the guy for making that move, isn't it? (And please, some of my fellow Sox faithful...spare us all the posturing about him being a "traitor"...who WOULDN'T jump at that kind of money???)

He'll get booed some more this evening. It's been a fun part of the game since the game began.


Actually they were throwing money at him as he ran out to CF in the 1st inning...
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Tue May 02, 2006 10:12 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
thehat wrote:COULD NOT HAVE WORKED OUT BETTER!!!

Damon showed some real class, tipping his cap to his fans and ex-teammates. When he did so, the vast majority of boos turned to cheers. Absolutely terrific moment!

From that point on, he got booed because he's now wearing enemy colors. And there is NOTHING wrong with booing, as long as it's done in fun, which it was.

Had Damon been greeted with objects being tossed in his direction or vile and obscene outbursts, that would have been a different story. But as far as I know, there was nothing of that sort

Also, as an observation, it certainly looked as though Damon wished he was still playing for Boston. That seemed pretty obvious in his expression as he looked around the ballpark at virtually every break in the action.

Everyone knows that Damon would have preferred to stay in Boston, but that the Yankees have him 12 million reasons to leave. Kind of tough to find fault with the guy for making that move, isn't it? (And please, some of my fellow Sox faithful...spare us all the posturing about him being a "traitor"...who WOULDN'T jump at that kind of money???)

He'll get booed some more this evening. It's been a fun part of the game since the game began.


Actually they were throwing money at him as he ran out to CF in the 1st inning...


yah, but that's meant as a joke, not to injure.

his point was that the crowd was not outright hostile to johnny. and throwing cash is... well... funny.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 02, 2006 12:37 pm

Did he pick up the money that was thrown at him? He should have scooped it up and put it under his cap.

People saying that Damon should have been loyal the the Sox are crazy. The Red Sox showed just how loyal they are to their players when they shipped Arroyo to Cincy after he gave them a home-town bonus and signed for cheaper than he could have elsewhere.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 02, 2006 12:39 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Did he pick up the money that was thrown at him? He should have scooped it up and put it under his cap.

People saying that Damon should have been loyal the the Sox are crazy. The Red Sox showed just how loyal they are to their players when they shipped Arroyo to Cincy after he gave them a home-town bonus and signed for cheaper than he could have elsewhere.


It's true. It's fun to pretend there's no other side to the coin sometimes, though, isn't it? ;-7 If you go long enough without screwing them, they'll screw you.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 348)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby Matthias » Tue May 02, 2006 2:21 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Did he pick up the money that was thrown at him? He should have scooped it up and put it under his cap.

People saying that Damon should have been loyal the the Sox are crazy. The Red Sox showed just how loyal they are to their players when they shipped Arroyo to Cincy after he gave them a home-town bonus and signed for cheaper than he could have elsewhere.


It's true. It's fun to pretend there's no other side to the coin sometimes, though, isn't it? ;-7 If you go long enough without screwing them, they'll screw you.


I felt terrible for Bronson the day of the trade: that day I visited his website for the first time and left a, "Thanks for everything" message. Did he read it? Who knows. But I'll cheer him whereever he goes.

And I think that's a critical distinction that keeps getting overlooked: that there are different ways that someone can leave. I don't expect if Javon Walker ever plays back in Green Bay he'll get a warm reception, and he shouldn't. But if the Titans cut McNair and he picks up with someone else, Tennessee should applaud him. In the words of Michael Corleone, "It's just business."

But as far as what's the proper protocol? According to Big Papi who seems to have a decent barometer on people:

How would the Fenway Faithful react? It was such a compelling question, Vegas considered establishing odds on the outcome. David Ortiz, who embraced his friend in the infield before the game, suggested, ''They should give him that first round of applause. Then they can do whatever they want."


And great avatar, BH. Glad you've found the true way. :-b
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Tue May 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Did he pick up the money that was thrown at him? He should have scooped it up and put it under his cap.

People saying that Damon should have been loyal the the Sox are crazy. The Red Sox showed just how loyal they are to their players when they shipped Arroyo to Cincy after he gave them a home-town bonus and signed for cheaper than he could have elsewhere.


;-D ;-D
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4347
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 03, 2006 10:14 am

I could care less about Damon and the delicate emotions of the Red Sox fans (and I hate myself for bumping this thread) but did anyone see the those t-shirts at the game? They had a picture of Damon and said:

Looks like Jesus
Acts like Judas
Throws like Mary

:-b

I can't find a pic of it but if somebody finds it please post.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I could care less about Damon and the delicate emotions of the Red Sox fans (and I hate myself for bumping this thread) but did anyone see the those t-shirts at the game? They had a picture of Damon and said:

Looks like Jesus
Acts like Judas
Throws like Mary

:-b

I can't find a pic of it but if somebody finds it please post.


I'm surprised you haven't seen that shirt yet Mookie. Here it is on eBay. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Matthias » Wed May 03, 2006 10:44 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I could care less about Damon and the delicate emotions of the Red Sox fans (and I hate myself for bumping this thread) but did anyone see the those t-shirts at the game? They had a picture of Damon and said:

Looks like Jesus
Acts like Judas
Throws like Mary

:-b

I can't find a pic of it but if somebody finds it please post.


It's ok, Mookie. Just reread the thread and for every instance of "Johnny Damon" put in [Player you liked who signed away], for "Red Sox" put in [Your team] and for "Yankees" put in... well... just leave it as Yankees.

And then you can like the thread without caring about the Caveman or the Fenway denizens.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact