Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dracovonborax » Mon May 01, 2006 8:06 am

i believe johnny should be booed for playing with our emotions. Pedro left us but he never made any statements saying he wouldn't go to New York. Damon endeared himself to the Boston faithful by spitting in the face of the Evil Empire, " I'll never play for the Yankees." so the Nation fans love him all the more for it...and then he skips out to New York and the Cash.
I'm not saying it wasn't a business deal. I'm still a bit sore that we didn't step up to the plate and find a way to keep Pedro. Next year they mat very well let Manny slip away, so management is alot to blame here. Hell, Manny has been trying to bail for some time now so, when that day finally arives, it won't even be a shock. Johnny,though we knew he might be leaving, assured the fans that it would never be to our hated rivals. He was the fans player, he understood our plight, and we loved him for it. To leave the way he did, after all the emotion tied to him, he will be treated most harshly for the rest of his career whenever he returns to Fenway.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 01, 2006 8:44 am

BritSox wrote:I don't see the big deal here. Of course he'll be booed at Fenway, he's a New York Yankee.

Summed it up well for me. ;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Charette » Mon May 01, 2006 8:59 am

If a team treats you bad , then I could understand wanting to stay in the division and make your old team pay. But to go to a team in the same division, after having a great year. Leaving your friends and team mates to go to your bitter rival is truly disgusting. Such a person has no value for the word team. Greed is a powerful thing.
Damon is just another greedy ballplayer. He's now a rich liar. To go against what you have said you would never do is truly pathetic. And it's a sign of of our current culture, that people think it's ok to lie, or play with guys that last year were your hated rivals if the money is right. He just follows in the steps of Boggs and Clemens.Truly selfish individuals. And with May 1 here, let the bidding begin for the most selfish , greedy , and truly the player that exemplifies the behavior that is helping to ruin TEAM sports.
Clemens doesn't care about teams or team mates. He's got to rank as the most pathetic teammate ever. And Damon is not to far behind.
Dan the Bluesman B-)
teddy ballgame wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:So if a player leaves the team he is currently playing with to take more money, he deserves to be booed? Wow, that's really sad.

AHHHHHH! ITS NOT JUST ANY PLAYER AND ITS NOT JUST ANY TEAM! ITS THE GOD OF BOSTON GOING TO THE HATED YANKS AFTER SAYING HE WOULD NEVER DO IT!!!!

deep breaths...in out in out...

The God of Boston? Ha!

I guess I just expect players to always go for the big money, an the Yanks have the big money. Plus, I'm happy when the Sox wave the dollar in front of players and they bite--it's the way it works. I'm not happy that he did it, and if, say Doug Mirabelli did it, it'd be different.

My point is not that you don't boo players that go to other teams--I can see the rationale there, especially with the Yankees--but Damon meant so much to our first World Series win in a long time that I think booing him shows how fickle we are as fans. It shows how short of a memory we have.

IMO, you either like your team or the players. I root for my team and the players currently on it. When a player leaves, why should I continue rooting for them, or not boo them? They're no longer on my team. They now get booed. This is even more true with Yankees. Regardless of whether they used to be here or not, they're on the Yankees. The Yankees are rivals of the Red Sox, therefore I, and everyone else who roots for the Red Sox, should boo their team, and it's players.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon May 01, 2006 9:40 am

Dan Charette wrote:If a team treats you bad , then I could understand wanting to stay in the division and make your old team pay. But to go to a team in the same division, after having a great year. Leaving your friends and team mates to go to your bitter rival is truly disgusting. Such a person has no value for the word team. Greed is a powerful thing.
Damon is just another greedy ballplayer. He's now a rich liar. To go against what you have said you would never do is truly pathetic. And it's a sign of of our current culture, that people think it's ok to lie, or play with guys that last year were your hated rivals if the money is right. He just follows in the steps of Boggs and Clemens.Truly selfish individuals. And with May 1 here, let the bidding begin for the most selfish , greedy , and truly the player that exemplifies the behavior that is helping to ruin TEAM sports.
Clemens doesn't care about teams or team mates. He's got to rank as the most pathetic teammate ever. And Damon is not to far behind.
Dan the Bluesman B-)

You really have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon May 01, 2006 2:25 pm

Dan Charette wrote:If a team treats you bad , then I could understand wanting to stay in the division and make your old team pay. But to go to a team in the same division, after having a great year. Leaving your friends and team mates to go to your bitter rival is truly disgusting. Such a person has no value for the word team. Greed is a powerful thing.
Dan the Bluesman B-)
teddy ballgame wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:So if a player leaves the team he is currently playing with to take more money, he deserves to be booed? Wow, that's really sad.

AHHHHHH! ITS NOT JUST ANY PLAYER AND ITS NOT JUST ANY TEAM! ITS THE GOD OF BOSTON GOING TO THE HATED YANKS AFTER SAYING HE WOULD NEVER DO IT!!!!

deep breaths...in out in out...

The God of Boston? Ha!

I guess I just expect players to always go for the big money, an the Yanks have the big money. Plus, I'm happy when the Sox wave the dollar in front of players and they bite--it's the way it works. I'm not happy that he did it, and if, say Doug Mirabelli did it, it'd be different.

My point is not that you don't boo players that go to other teams--I can see the rationale there, especially with the Yankees--but Damon meant so much to our first World Series win in a long time that I think booing him shows how fickle we are as fans. It shows how short of a memory we have.

IMO, you either like your team or the players. I root for my team and the players currently on it. When a player leaves, why should I continue rooting for them, or not boo them? They're no longer on my team. They now get booed. This is even more true with Yankees. Regardless of whether they used to be here or not, they're on the Yankees. The Yankees are rivals of the Red Sox, therefore I, and everyone else who roots for the Red Sox, should boo their team, and it's players.

Are you joking?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby DevilDriver » Mon May 01, 2006 3:01 pm

Respect him as a baseball player, boo him as a Yankee.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 01, 2006 3:37 pm

Just trying to get the Red Slox blood pumping some more...

Remember, this man abandoned you. ;-7
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Mon May 01, 2006 3:41 pm

he's a sellout - i'll be booing
Besaid_Aurochs
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Jumping off the nearest cliff cause I started Felix Hernandez again

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon May 01, 2006 3:56 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Just trying to get the Red Slox blood pumping some more...

Remember, this man abandoned you. ;-7

How would that get our blood pumping? I'm glad he's gone. I'd much rather have Crisp at the price he signed for compared to Damon. When I heard what the Yankees payed Damon I was glad the Sox didn't offer him that much. Most knowledgable Sox fans think the same.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EnFuego » Mon May 01, 2006 4:04 pm

I think Fenway is going to give him a mixed reaction, well at least I hope so.
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers