Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:21 pm

nuggets wrote:What I think is important is to recognize the duality of emotion towards Damon by Sox fans and that suppression of these emotions is not the right way to go. If you cheer, cheer because he was a good Red Sox player. If you boo, boo him because he is a liar and a traitor. To act like you're better than everyone else and show no emotion? Weak. So sit back in your ivory towers and be an intellectual you might, but living a full life connected to mind, body and soul you are not. This is assuming, of course, that one is a true fan of their claimed team.

Anyone else find this hysterical? He talks about sitting in your ivory tower and being intellectual, yet talks about "duality of emotion." A very good laugh. Thanks. :-b
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby .38 Special » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:11 pm

tlef316 wrote:he'll be booed. its just the way sox fans are.

I dont really blame them though, as the guy showed his true money grubbing colors this off winter

Hmmmmm.....didn't you guys boo Rivera.....and he never left your team.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Apollo » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:28 pm

I think it's kind of funny that the Red Sox fans are all upset about a player being signed as a free agent. I mean, don't the Sox take players all the time? Didn't Johnny Damon take a bunch of money to come to the Red Sox in the first place, abandoning the A's that had traded for him? And before that, wasn't Kansas City forced to trade him because of his impending departure as a free agent, even though he was becoming about as iconic as a Royal can get?

Of course, one the other hand, he did make that idiot statement about never playing in New York. So sure, boo him, but maybe feel a twinge of regret next time the Sox sign another team's budding star.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:29 am

Apollo wrote:I think it's kind of funny that the Red Sox fans are all upset about a player being signed as a free agent. I mean, don't the Sox take players all the time? Didn't Johnny Damon take a bunch of money to come to the Red Sox in the first place, abandoning the A's that had traded for him? And before that, wasn't Kansas City forced to trade him because of his impending departure as a free agent, even though he was becoming about as iconic as a Royal can get?

Of course, one the other hand, he did make that idiot statement about never playing in New York. So sure, boo him, but maybe feel a twinge of regret next time the Sox sign another team's budding star.

That's exactly why it pisses me off when people call him a "traitor." His contract was up. Any team can make him an offer, and he can choose to go to any team. He didn't choose us. Get over it.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:45 am

Apollo wrote:I think it's kind of funny that the Red Sox fans are all upset about a player being signed as a free agent. I mean, don't the Sox take players all the time? Didn't Johnny Damon take a bunch of money to come to the Red Sox in the first place, abandoning the A's that had traded for him? And before that, wasn't Kansas City forced to trade him because of his impending departure as a free agent, even though he was becoming about as iconic as a Royal can get?

I think that's exactly why I've been saying (as a Red Sox fan) that I wouldn't boo Johnny if I were at the game. He didn't leave loudly or venomously. He was just signed elsewhere. I feel bad that the elsewhere was the Bronx and it means that when I see him up to bat on Gamecast I'm rooting for him to strikeout (along with all of his teammates). But, when considering what he has done and how he has handled himself in his time in Boston and when considering the circumstances under which he left, I think booing him personally in introductions is poor taste.

Love the man. Cheer against the team.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:25 pm

I don't see the big deal here. Of course he'll be booed at Fenway, he's a New York Yankee.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Hey Trans, how are you? I feel fans have he right to cheer and boo. I hate crowds that are silent. Just keep it clean.

You as a Boston fan can respect or not boo Damon all you want. But the bottome line is he said, Boston bye bye, i'm going here. And the here, is trying to keep Boston at home. You can't cheer the enemy.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby TheOmen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:04 pm

no, not all fans do this. just you guys in the northeast.

Right...and I guess now is the time to invoke the "It's because fans in the northeast care more" stock retort? We also cheer more too...and like, understand box scores and double switches.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Boyakasha » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:21 pm

TheOmen wrote:
no, not all fans do this. just you guys in the northeast.

Right...and I guess now is the time to invoke the "It's because fans in the northeast care more" stock retort? We also cheer more too...and like, understand box scores and double switches.

The Dodgers fans boo Shawn Green everytime he comes up to the plate, and he was traded by the organization, he didn't even leave on his own. And he gave them a couple good years.

I agree with Hootie, though, I think booing is good for the game; it shows passion by the fans. There are times where I don't understand it, like the Green thing, but I don't know why it's such an issue of nobility to boo or not to boo. Who cares? It's a game and it's fun to boo. No one's going to judge your moral character based on if you boo Damon or not. This whole "I'm a better fan than you are" contest is dumb.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jzfran » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:45 pm

brandnew wrote:I think Sox fans should start a "Coco's better" chant instead of booing.

That would be very entertaining...Sometimes the best way to get in an opposing player's head is to make something creative like that. Not just booing or chanting "F*ck you Johnny".
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers