Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:28 pm

Right, as they say, we root for the laundry, not the players. I don't buy it.

Isn't it rather ironic, though, that we demand loyalty of our players--we want them to sign with our team for less money--but don't show the same loyalty to them, after they've given our teams so much?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:31 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:So if a player leaves the team he is currently playing with to take more money, he deserves to be booed? Wow, that's really sad.


AHHHHHH! ITS NOT JUST ANY PLAYER AND ITS NOT JUST ANY TEAM! ITS THE GOD OF BOSTON GOING TO THE HATED YANKS AFTER SAYING HE WOULD NEVER DO IT!!!!

deep breaths...in out in out...


The God of Boston? Ha!

I guess I just expect players to always go for the big money, an the Yanks have the big money. Plus, I'm happy when the Sox wave the dollar in front of players and they bite--it's the way it works. I'm not happy that he did it, and if, say Doug Mirabelli did it, it'd be different.

My point is not that you don't boo players that go to other teams--I can see the rationale there, especially with the Yankees--but Damon meant so much to our first World Series win in a long time that I think booing him shows how fickle we are as fans. It shows how short of a memory we have.


stop being so emotional about it. yea the guy did great things and when he is out of the pinstripes and comes back to boston in 20 years people are gonna be giving him standing ovations up the ying yang.

nuggets is right, youre just not gonna get it i guess.


It's funny--I think those that boo are being the emotional ones. I'm taking a step back and not doing the reactionary thing and booing him. I'd be giving him kudos for what he did.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:23 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:stop being so emotional about it. yea the guy did great things and when he is out of the pinstripes and comes back to boston in 20 years people are gonna be giving him standing ovations up the ying yang.

nuggets is right, youre just not gonna get it i guess.


Two things:

(1) You're telling a Red Sox fan that he's not going to, "get" how Red Sox fans feel (or should feel) about Damon going to the Yankees. Huh.

(2) You're relying upon Nuggets for backup. Huh huh.

You can separate out players and teams. Plenty of Packers fans were plenty angry with Javon Walker; ditto for Eagles fans and TO. Even when they were playing for their team.

It doesn't come down to: plays for my team = someone I like and cheer for. I've liked Damon for the past few years. He helped us win a championship. And he didn't leave the Sox in a bad way. They didn't pursue him. They didn't make him feel wanted. And he didn't try to play them. He just signed somewhere else.

Besides, Steinbrenner has signed about 25% of the 2004 championship team by now. Am I supposed to have a hit list of, "I can't like you any more"

Bogus.

Now, to go start a thread about how White Sox fans should feel about the fact that their home stadium is in a war zone......
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Right, as they say, we root for the laundry, not the players. I don't buy it.

Isn't it rather ironic, though, that we demand loyalty of our players--we want them to sign with our team for less money--but don't show the same loyalty to them, after they've given our teams so much?

Well people who expect that shouldn't. I don't expect a player to take a pay cut just to play here. I think it's great that the Pats have had some guys do that, but most people don't, nor should they be expected to.
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby brandnew » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:49 pm

I think Sox fans should start a "Coco's better" chant instead of booing.
Image
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3599
Joined: 8 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 909!

Postby dracovonborax » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:00 pm

personally, i see no reason not to Boo him. Had he not made a point of telling the Nation that he would never sign with the Yanks, then maybe he doesn't get booed. He did make that statement and then signed with them anyway...so i say boo him all you like.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1253
Joined: 5 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:24 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:So if a player leaves the team he is currently playing with to take more money, he deserves to be booed? Wow, that's really sad.


It's sad that you're boiling down the situation to something it's not.

dracovonborax wrote:personally, i see no reason not to Boo him. Had he not made a point of telling the Nation that he would never sign with the Yanks, then maybe he doesn't get booed. He did make that statement and then signed with them anyway...so i say boo him all you like.


He's been quoted, more than once I believe, as saying he'd never play for NY, or am I hallucinating?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:39 pm

What I think is important is to recognize the duality of emotion towards Damon by Sox fans and that suppression of these emotions is not the right way to go. If you cheer, cheer because he was a good Red Sox player. If you boo, boo him because he is a liar and a traitor. To act like you're better than everyone else and show no emotion? Weak. So sit back in your ivory towers and be an intellectual you might, but living a full life connected to mind, body and soul you are not. This is assuming, of course, that one is a true fan of their claimed team.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby afromangettindrunk » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:01 pm

So, I'm working for General Motors, testing the safety of their rear seatbelts for $50k a year and Ford Motor Company, in its dying throws, offers me a 24% salary increase per year (with more added bonuses)...and I'm supposed to decline because the F-150 rivals the Silverado? :-?
Image
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 808
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:17 pm

nuggets wrote:What I think is important is to recognize the duality of emotion towards Damon by Sox fans and that suppression of these emotions is not the right way to go. If you cheer, cheer because he was a good Red Sox player. If you boo, boo him because he is a liar and a traitor. To act like you're better than everyone else and show no emotion? Weak. So sit back in your ivory towers and be an intellectual you might, but living a full life connected to mind, body and soul you are not. This is assuming, of course, that one is a true fan of their claimed team.


Strawman argument? Who is saying that you should, "act like you're better than everyone else and show no emotion"?

And do you think that Red Sox fans are ignoring the, "duality of emotion towards Damon by Sox fans"?

This just doesn't make any sense.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Sep. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Houston
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact