Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:37 am

So Johnny Damon returns to Fenway on Monday as a member of the Yankees. I expect him to be booed. This is pathetic. (See this Boston.com linkif you'd like.)

Yes, Johnny Damon went for the most money and signed with our rivals. Yes, Damon said he would never play for the Yankees and did anyway, taking top dollar. Of course, I was not happy about it, even though I love Crisp and am happy with what the Sox are doing (getting young, cost-controlled players).

How could Red Sox fans forget what Damon did? A grand slam and then a two-run homer in the best comeback--and only one down 3-0--in the history of baseball? Maybe I'm biased because I was down the thirdbase line when he hit those two homeruns and danced in Yankee Stadium that night, but are our memories that short?

Booing seems to be a trend.

I was annoyed that on opening day, the boos reigned on Josh Beckett after a rough start--in the first inning! Are you kidding me? And then David Wells, trying to pitch his way back into shape has a horrendous start and is booed.

Last year, the reason for the Yankees dominance over the past decade--Mariano Rivera--was booed after two bad outings. This is hardly a Boston-NY phenomena--it happens in many stadiums, to many beloved players.

What is going on?

I think as fans, we've become selfish. We think that because we pay a lot of money--for tickets, hotdogs, beer, hell, even Direct TV--we can boo anytime we want. And, yes, we can. But that doesn't mean we should. I'm not against booing. It's warranted many times--but fans seems to have a myopic view.

Take ALCS Game 7, 2003--Clemens got crushed and was taken out early. My brother and I were one of the few Sox fans to give Clemens a standing O, along with the Yankee fans. It wasn't a mock cheer; it was a cheer because we thought his career was over and he deserved it, even though I think he is the devil. No, I'm no saint--I get caught up in the moment, too. Let's take a step back, though.

We need to make our boos mean something. And we start by booing a little less regularly. How about when we boo, the players actually are surprised?

But Damon is a different story. He won't be booed on performance. He'll be booed for taking top dollar, for being a hypocrite, for selling out. Just don't forget what he did for the Sox, and show him some love. A few years ago, Fenway did it for Clemens. Let's to it again.

When Damon steps into the box, in pinstripes, clean shaven, give him a standing ovation. Thank him for his great seasons in Boston. Thank him for that grandslam. Thank him for the Idiots. Thank him for laughs over his third-grade girl scout throwing arm. Thank him for running into the wall at full speed. Thank him for racing cars to stay in shape. Thank him for being our caveman. Thank him for winning the World Series.

Make Fenway shake. Make him step out of that batter box and tip his cap. He deserves it.

Boo him later if you must. I will not.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:46 am

+1. I think whatever the fans do will say more about them than it does about Damon and everybody playing in the game knows this. Good write up on the sentiments involved. ;-D

I'd kind of like the Cubs' fans to lay off of Jacques Jones for a while. Sure he's struggled at the plate a bit but he has run down some balls in the OF that I suspect Burnitz would have had to wave at in some tight ballgames. And, of course, he put his first hit out of the park vs. the Cards. That's all it took for me for now!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby tlef316 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:48 am

he'll be booed. its just the way sox fans are.

I dont really blame them though, as the guy showed his true money grubbing colors this off winter
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:52 am

I'll boo him because he's a Yankee and I boo every Yankee, not because of the player he is. He gave the Sox everything he had during his years there and I'm appreciative of everything he did.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kurtangletn » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:53 am

Everyone would have been fine if he went to another team.

If he gose anywhere but to the Yanks he gets a big standing ovation. But he decided that the extra year and 3m a year (which he said is "pocket change") amazingly he was disrespected by a 4 year 40m deal.

It's life, if he expected to come back some hero after he signed there then he really is retarted.

Our former heros? Former, is the key word there. Life changes, he decided to change.

You're basically saying if one of your best friends says "Yeah I'll be there to get your back" (Damon's I CAN NEVER GO TO THE YANKS OH MY GAWD) and then when you get jumped he decides to kick you in the teeth, should I forgive him? Don't think so.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:53 am

There are some pretty crazy fans out there.

At the beginning of the year Beltran was off to a rough start and Mets fans were boo-ing him as hard as they could, few games later he hits a home run and they give him a curtain call. :-?

And i couldnt believe Yankees fans boo-ed Mo like that last year. They even boo-ed Jeter a few years ago during a horrific start to the year, he still ended up close to .300. Unbelievable. :-P
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:55 am

I'm sick of hearing about Damon being a "traitor." He was with the Red Sox for a few years. He did not start in our system. He wasn't a Nomar who grew up in Boston. He came for a few years, his contract was up, and he went to another team. If you can have $50 million or $62 million (I forget the exact numbers), guess which one you're taking.

With that said, Johnny Damon is a Yankee. He should be booed, just like all the other Yankees. He shouldn't be booed because he left the Sox, and shouldn't be applauded because he used to be here.

When Jeter and Nomar were both premier SS in the league, fans cheered, "Nomah's Better!" so I think that what the Boston fans should do is start a Coco Crisp chant. He's a younger version of Damon for 1/3 the price.

Again, the fans have no reason to be bitter. It's free agency. It's a part of the game. But he should not be exempt from boos, because he's still a Yankee. :-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:55 am

Well better put than anything I could hope to add to, Trans. Well said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kurtangletn » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:58 am

You didn't think Wells deserved to be booed?

Heres a guy who waste our entire off season, rushes up to get money for the incentive and gets owned.

I didn't here a boo for Beckett.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:59 am

teddy ballgame wrote: He wasn't a Nomar who grew up in Boston.

I thought Nomar grew up in LA? :-?

Really, I would think that it would be ruder of the Boston fans to go nuts cheering Damon and then boo ARod and the other 7 dwarves like they usually do. It might help them get a bit of an edge somehow.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers