Pujols: First Triple Crown in 39 Years? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols: First Triple Crown in 39 Years?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stikmata » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:03 am

maybe yes, maybe no

we'll see... in AUGUST

:-b
stikmata
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rainman23 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:11 am

As long as he's healthy, Albert Pujols is going to be a legitimate threat every year to win the Triple Crown. As stated above, though -- like Barry Bonds throughout this decade, it probably ain't gonna happen, because you're crazy to pitch to him if you have a choice. There are always going to be lesser players who drive in more runs. It's funny that in these days where OBP is more focused on than ever, it seems like the mashers are more likely to be pitched around than the old days.

I guess if there's any fun to be had here, it's discussing who else might have a shot. Cabrera's probably the most likely candidate, when he finds himself back in a lineup that can help him a little. Vlad, maybe, although he's no spring chicken. Sheffield, Delgado, Ramirez -- you would have given them a shot before, but their time is running out too. Helton won't be challenging for any more HR titles. Arod ain't gonna be challenging for any batting crowns. You've probably got to go to the next generation, I guess. Any big power guys who are capable of hitting for the enormous average?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:17 am

Pujols winning the triple crown wouldn't even be remotely surprising...i mean it would be in a probability sense, but not in a skill sense. He SHOULD win the triple crown.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:21 am

rainman23 wrote:Arod ain't gonna be challenging for any batting crowns.

He finished 2nd last season and has won a batting title in the past. He and Pujols are the most capable of the current generation to win the Crown.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:31 am

Tavish wrote:
rainman23 wrote:Arod ain't gonna be challenging for any batting crowns.

He finished 2nd last season and has won a batting title in the past. He and Pujols are the most capable of the current generation to win the Crown.

I'll say that A-rod has a better chance of winning the crown than Pujols
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:34 am

I expect that he will make a run at it. My main reason is that, while it's STILL EARLY, it appears that the Cards are not going to be enjoying the cakewalk that they have in the NL Central recently and are going to have to keep the pressure on deeper into the year than they have for the last couple of years.

If there's anybody in the NL I'd want on my team when the chips were down, it would be Big Al. ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby tlef316 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:50 am

i think he's gonna get one at some point. He has no flaws as a hitter.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Music2004Man » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:42 pm

tlef316 wrote:i think he's gonna get one at some point. He has no flaws as a hitter.

That ball he hit against Lidge last year in the playoffs is still in the air....
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants! » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:55 pm

If the question is do I think Pujols will win the triple crown this year, the answer is no. It is simply to hard in todays game to get a triple crown. Every year, players start hot in all three categories but do not win it. After hot starts, pitchers generally intentionally walk or pitch around hot talents. Id be willing to make a bet that Pujols will register a career high in intentional walks this season and those walks will increase as the season wears on. Add in the fact that Pujols has Eckstein and Taguchi hitting in front of him, and any chance of leading the league in rbis is unlikely.Also, when the eventual injuries of Rolen and Edmonds come along, Pujols will be intentionally walked and pitched around and will get fewer attempts at hrs and rbis.

However, if the question is do I think that Pujols has the best chance at a triple crown, then the answer is yes. Pujols is always near the top in hrs, rbis and ba and with a better lineup will have the protection needed to get the at bats needed to win a triple crown
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:31 pm

I couldn't put 150/55/140/15/.370 past Pujols at this point. 26 years old, at some point he's bound to start "breaking out" based off his earlier numbers.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers