Who to drop for Saltalmacchia? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who to drop for Saltalmacchia?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who to drop for Saltalmacchia?

Postby Galt » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:47 pm

Someone just dropped Salty in my keeper league? I could only put him on my minor league roster.

Here's my curent list of minor leaguers. Should I drop any of them for Salty?

And is he going to be a catcher? He's not worth nearly as much if he's not a catcher? Additionally, I'm looking for people who are potentially close to the majors

1. Ian Stewart
2. Erick Aybar
3. Carlos Gonzalez (I know he's not close, but he's supposed to be amazing)
4. Marcus Sanders
5. Hunter Pence

Should I drop any of them? I'm guessing that it'll be either Sanders or Pence that you recommend, but Sanders with his 50-60 steal speed at SS is immensley valuable in fantasy leagues and Pence has just been crushing the ball.

Plus, catchers are rarely useful for the first few years of their careers (I could only keep the player for the first 3 years after their rookie years.

I guess I'm trying to see if someone can convince me to pick up Salty as he's just sitting there.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:33 pm

Probably Aybar. Although he's close, he;s overshadowed by Wood and will probably be traded. Not about the catching position in Atl will be though, McCann is good but not as good as Salty.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby patty cheeks » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:43 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Probably Aybar. Although he's close, he;s overshadowed by Wood and will probably be traded. Not about the catching position in Atl will be though, McCann is good but not as good as Salty.

i would say the same thing
patty cheeks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:37 pm

I would drop Pence. Aybar will be the shortstop for the Angels as Woods defense will send him to 3b or the OF.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby garf112 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:56 pm

I don't understand why the threat of Aybar being traded should make you drop him.

First off, I think you have a very good minor league team there. I'd have to say that if you don't drop Marcus Sanders, then you shouldn't drop anyone. I don't think that Sanders will be able to get on enough in order to play in the majors. And its not like he is a defensive wizard at 2B. He's also pretty far away.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on Carlos Gonzalez; he should be special. Pence has too much raw power to drop, although I have a feeling that as he moves up the ladder, he will have problems with making contact (more than he already does).

Just my opinion, though.

If you have a league that uses two catchers with 20 teams, I might put Salty above one of these guys, but in a 12 team league with one catcher, I think you stick with the ones that you have.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Galt » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:00 am

yeah, it's a 12-teamer with 1 catcher.

I don't see how Aybar getting traded would hurt his value. That makes no sense. If he gets traded, it will be to a place that will likely start him sooner as he'd be obtained in a deadline deal where he'd be going to a lesser team than the Angels

Fantasy leagues always value middle infielders with speed, so I'm really hesitent to drop Sanders. If I could be convined that he was a few years away or guys like him are a dime a dozen, the he'd probably be the one I'd be likely to drop.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rhd » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:41 am

Pence is the one I'd drop. BA would agree, since he is the only one of these that didnt make their Top 100.
rhd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball