Maddux can't be good, HE'S TOO OLD!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maddux can't be good, HE'S TOO OLD!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Maddux can't be good, HE'S TOO OLD!!

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:26 am

Fantasy Guru wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:
thatohiosportsfan wrote:5-0? What is it with great pitchers and turning into beasts when they turn 40? I'm confused, does anyone expect Maddux to keep this up, because I don't...Maddux isn't a dominating pitcher, and he pitches at Wrigley, but I guess his control still gets it done...

With him its ALL about control. POwer pitches lose some of their speed as they age...but control pitchers always have it which is a huge adavantage.

I expect Maddux to have his best season since a while ago

Isn't it the exact opposite?

Power pitchers age well, and finesse pitchers fade?

Everything I've ever read points to power, strikeout pitchers 'losing it' well in advance of their finesse counterparts, because of things like the drop in MPH off their fastball, and their declining 'dominance'. Finesse pitchers, on the other hand, are less likely to 'lose' their control on their mid-80s fastball, etc.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Los_Dodgers » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:19 am

I don't believe that he can keep up this ridiculous pace or anything even close. i believe he will settle down and end up with about 14 wins and a 4.2 or 4.3 era.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:22 am

4.2? ouch...thats what im hoping for...

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Maddux can't be good, HE'S TOO OLD!!

Postby bceagles04 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:52 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Fantasy Guru wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:
thatohiosportsfan wrote:5-0? What is it with great pitchers and turning into beasts when they turn 40? I'm confused, does anyone expect Maddux to keep this up, because I don't...Maddux isn't a dominating pitcher, and he pitches at Wrigley, but I guess his control still gets it done...

With him its ALL about control. POwer pitches lose some of their speed as they age...but control pitchers always have it which is a huge adavantage.

I expect Maddux to have his best season since a while ago

Isn't it the exact opposite?

Power pitchers age well, and finesse pitchers fade?

Everything I've ever read points to power, strikeout pitchers 'losing it' well in advance of their finesse counterparts, because of things like the drop in MPH off their fastball, and their declining 'dominance'. Finesse pitchers, on the other hand, are less likely to 'lose' their control on their mid-80s fastball, etc.

My thoughts as well. Power pitchers lose speed. Finesse never had speed, so they dont lose it
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mak1277 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:09 am

Los_Dodgers wrote:I don't believe that he can keep up this ridiculous pace or anything even close. i believe he will settle down and end up with about 14 wins and a 4.2 or 4.3 era.

So you really think he'll only win 9 games the rest of the year? After winning 5 in April? No, I disagree.

I don't think he'll end up with an ERA under 2, but I do definitely think it will be under 4.

What I see in his future is a lot of 6 IP, 2 ER outings the rest of the year, which I'll be more than happy with.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:41 am

mak1277 wrote:What I see in his future is a lot of 6 IP, 2 ER outings the rest of the year, which I'll be more than happy with.

+1 to that. The depth the Cubs added to their bullpen this year will help Maddux (and the rest of the team... ) a lot. Having some dependable arms has made a big difference in terms of the way the team has played at the end of games this year. Last year, it seemed like they lost a couple of close ones late EVERY WEEK and it seemed to kind of bring everybody down as the season dragged on. Plus, by the time the other team is starting to figure out what the heck Maddux is dealing them, they can bring in Williamson or Eyre to mow them down in the 7th, Howry in the 8th and Dempster in the 9th. It has a nice ring to it... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby garf112 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:23 pm

Everyone needs to look at Maddux' career stats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/3933/career;_ylt=Aso5TAZwg1uhSxq3I69v8kKFCLcF

Come back after looking at them a bit, and start talking about how there is no way his ERA is going to be better than 3.5. 14 of his past 18 years have been under that mark. 9 were under 3. I realize that his three most recent seasons have been less than stellar, but the same thing could have been said for Clemens before 2004.

And don't count Maddux out for a below 2 ERA, although it would take ALOT of luck for him to get there, Clemens proved that last year it can be done.

What am I expecting for Maddux' full season stats?
2.80 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 18 W, 160 K.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:30 pm

Interesting, his PECOTA Breakout/Improve/Collapse Rate/Attrition Rates look like those of a 28ish year old with quality potential.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:42 pm

nuggets wrote:Interesting, his PECOTA Breakout/Improve/Collapse Rate/Attrition Rates look like those of a 28ish year old with quality potential.

could you explain what some of that means?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:52 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
nuggets wrote:Interesting, his PECOTA Breakout/Improve/Collapse Rate/Attrition Rates look like those of a 28ish year old with quality potential.

could you explain what some of that means?

It means PECOTA predicts Maddux to very likely improve with little risk of getting worse.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers