Maddux can't be good, HE'S TOO OLD!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maddux can't be good, HE'S TOO OLD!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maddux can't be good, HE'S TOO OLD!!

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:32 pm

5-0? What is it with great pitchers and turning into beasts when they turn 40? I'm confused, does anyone expect Maddux to keep this up, because I don't...Maddux isn't a dominating pitcher, and he pitches at Wrigley, but I guess his control still gets it done...

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheOmen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:38 pm

The guy is a surgeon when he's on, and he's on big time. Just ride the wave while it lasts. Or trade him if you get a ridiculous offer.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Maddux can't be good, HE'S TOO OLD!!

Postby bceagles04 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:39 pm

thatohiosportsfan wrote:5-0? What is it with great pitchers and turning into beasts when they turn 40? I'm confused, does anyone expect Maddux to keep this up, because I don't...Maddux isn't a dominating pitcher, and he pitches at Wrigley, but I guess his control still gets it done...

With him its ALL about control. POwer pitches lose some of their speed as they age...but control pitchers always have it which is a huge adavantage.

I expect Maddux to have his best season since a while ago
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bellings » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:39 pm

thatohiosportsfan wrote:5-0? What is it with great pitchers and turning into beasts when they turn 40? I'm confused, does anyone expect Maddux to keep this up, because I don't...Maddux isn't a dominating pitcher, and he pitches at Wrigley, but I guess his control still gets it done...

I don't think that he'll "keep it up" per se, but remember that last year was the first time since FREAKING 1987 that he didn't win at least 15. And he still managed to win 13. So he never really lost it. I'd put him at 18 W's this year.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:42 pm

He's more of the same Maddux. As I mentioned before, his pitches have a lot of life but when he misses, he gets pummelled.

He won't keep his ERA under 2 but should be good for 15 W, 3.50 ERA and a good WHIP.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Jury » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:40 pm

His BABIP is WAY down though, around .179 the last time I checked. His mean is up around .285-.290 so he should come back to earth. His K and BB rates are about dead average for Maddux, but he should give up some more HR as the season goes along because he's significantly under his mean for HR/9.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beatlehead84 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:40 pm

This is from Baseball Prospectus:

"Maddux’s ERA is going to go up. Like Clemens last year, he’s benefitting from a very low batting average on balls in play (.192, fifth in MLB among pitchers with at least 15 IP). His peripheral stats don’t support a league-leading anything, and his groundball-to-flyball ratio is the lowest of his career, which is contributing to that BABIP. That he’s given up just one home run and three doubles on 18 fly balls is an accident, and can’t be expected to continue."

Clemens kept it up though. I wonder if Maddux can too.
beatlehead84
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:55 pm

bceagles04 wrote:With him its ALL about control. POwer pitches lose some of their speed as they age...but control pitchers always have it which is a huge adavantage.

why hasnt he had this control the last 4 or 5 years then?

greg maddux got a personal trainer for the first time in his career before this season started. this has to be the only contributing factor. there's no other reason for him to be this great so far.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:30 pm

Aramis and Todd Walker continue to hone their sharp defensive skills and school Ronnie Cedeño and fill in for DLee...Jacques Jones running down balls in the OF...it's CLEARLY the defense....LOL.

Maddux's pitches have looked electric. I was @ work during the game today so I didn't see it but I've seen the other outings and they've been great to watch. He's working hitters all over the plate and mixing pitches and speeds like he used too. It's a really great story to watch unfold. I suspect that Sports Illustrated will ruin it w/ a cover in 2-4 weeks... :~( :~( :~(
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Fantasy Guru » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:48 pm

bceagles04 wrote:

With him its ALL about control. POwer pitches lose some of their speed as they age...but control pitchers always have it which is a huge adavantage.

Isn't it the exact opposite?

Power pitchers age well, and finesse pitchers fade?
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers