Closer Trouble = Opportunity - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer Trouble = Opportunity

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closer Trouble = Opportunity

Postby steve_0710 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:04 am

So who else stands a chance to lose their jobs as closers? And who would be their replacements?

F Cord has to Otsuka

There are rumors that Micelli may have Shawn Camp on his back.

Guardado is struggling. Would Putz or Soriano take over there?

Others?
steve_0710
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:21 am

I would think the Rangers would go to Alfonseca first. But I really don't think Cordero is in imminent dnager of losing his job.

Frankly I believe the same thing with Miceli, simply because the other options on that team are so unappealing.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jondunc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:24 am

stumpak wrote:I would think the Rangers would go to Alfonseca first. But I really don't think Cordero is in imminent dnager of losing his job.

Frankly I believe the same thing with Miceli, simply because the other options on that team are so unappealing.

Try to keep up bud. Cordero's out and Otsuka's in, at least for now. :-o

I think Soriano is the choice in Seattle. Gut feeling.
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dc928 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:24 pm

jondunc wrote:
stumpak wrote:I would think the Rangers would go to Alfonseca first. But I really don't think Cordero is in imminent dnager of losing his job.

Try to keep up bud. Cordero's out and Otsuka's in, at least for now. :-o

I think Soriano is the choice in Seattle. Gut feeling.

I think it should be more than gut feelings, I think Seattle would have been stupid not put Soriano in as Closer. He is obvisouly the best pitcher they have inthe ball pen. More than 1 Strike out pre inning, no walks, sub 1 WHIP, low low ERA. I mean what more does this kid has to prove he can close? ;-7
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:25 pm

You just won today's prize for showing up at the ballpark on a day when the home team's on the road.

Otsuka is in as the closer, at least temporarily, while Cordero tries to work out his pitching problems.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:48 pm

HA :-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby paiger » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:41 am

Olympic Opportunity for closers:

Gold: Texas - CoCo - faltering. given a "break" from role as closer... (Happened) Opp for Otsuka right now. Prevailing notion is it's 'temporary' since the reports indicate his speed isn't off. Otsuka goes lights out though, it'll be a long-temporary. Alfonseca may well enter into the mix.

Silver: Sea - Eddie Guardado - faltering. Next most likely to be given 'a break from the closer role'. Opportunity for the misfortunately named JJ Putz. Most likely though he will share opps with R. Soriano who has pitched as many but has better #s.

Bronze: TB - Micelli - not so much faltering as prevailing closer by default. Kind of a lesser-of-evils bullpen status. Orvella is being touted as the 'closer of the future', with some calling for that future to begin as soon as a few days from now, but Camp seems to be the RP they've implanted in the "breathing down Micelli's neck" role.

Other than the Gold this is all speculation as closer status among managers seems to be more closely guarded than draft-day intentions.
paiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers