BABIP/DER - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BABIP/DER

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BABIP/DER

Postby The Guru » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:05 am

Can someone go into detail about those 2 stats. I am not completly sure what they mean.

BABIP - I know this has to do with hitters
DER - I know this has to do with pitchers

Whats the league average BABIP number?
Whats the league average DER number?
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jmk.nyc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:39 am

Batting Average on Balls in Play. This is a measure of the number of batted balls that safely fall in for a hit (not including home runs). The exact formula we use is (H-HR)/(AB-K-HR) This is similar to DER, but from the batter's perspective.

Defense Efficiency Ratio. The percent of times a batted ball is turned into an out by the teams’ fielders, not including home runs. The exact formula we use is (BFP-H-K-BB-HBP-0.6*E)/(BFP-HR-K-BB-HBP). This is similar to BABIP, but from the defensive team's perspective. Please note that DER for individual pitchers doesn't include errors.

from http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/statpages/glossary/

Sorry I can't go into more detail. :-o BABIP seems to measure the ability of a hitter to hit safely on non-HR contact and the converse for DER.
jmk.nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:46 pm

I believe the league average for BABIP is .300, so the average DER would be .700.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Guru » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:28 pm

Here's what I don't understand in this example.

Mike Young BABIP
05 = .355
04 = .335

In 06 his BABIP so far is = .436

Baseball Prospectus says the league average for BABIP is .290.

Here is wht I don't understand: So is Young likely to go from .436 to the league average by years end or is he likely to go near his career average in BABIP?

Since BABIP is balls in play - wouldn't certain speed hitters have a higher BABIP then say slower power hitters since they can tend to run out ground balls with there speed that a slower player can't? Someone like a Reyes, Crawford, Ichiro. Compared to a Aramis Ramirez, Thome, Giambi
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:40 pm

BABIP isn't .300 on average for all ball players. That's just a good benchmark. When you want to find out if a player is getting "lucky" or "unlucky", you should compare his BABIP to his career BABIP. Some players are just faster or get better wood on the ball or whatever.

I'm not sure if minor league stats can be compared to major league ones for BABIP, but I think it would be a reasonable comparisson.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nerfherders » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Doubles and triples factor into this as well. For the most part, a double or triple has no chance to be fielded. Players who hit the ball hard to the alleys or down the lines will have their BABIP higher than those who hit fly balls or ground balls. I've never really watched Young play much but based on his numbers - .450+ SLG without alot of HR - I would say he is that type of player.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 10)

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:26 pm

Nerfherders wrote:Doubles and triples factor into this as well. For the most part, a double or triple has no chance to be fielded. Players who hit the ball hard to the alleys or down the lines will have their BABIP higher than those who hit fly balls or ground balls. I've never really watched Young play much but based on his numbers - .450+ SLG without alot of HR - I would say he is that type of player.
Not really true. A "double" could also be an "F7" if the left fielder is shading over in the right direction or a "single" if its hit to someone with a really strong arm. There's nothing inherent to a hit being a 2B or 3B that makes them different from a single.

The only consistent rule with BABIP is that players who hit more line drives have higher BABIPs. So you are right that players who hit the ball hard generally have better BABIPs than those who hit a lot of grounders and fly balls. But that's really the only statistically significant factor that has been found (IIRC). I wish I had a link to a site that had information on line drive rate or a study that demonstrated this result, but I don't remember where I read that stuff.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:16 am

From what I've read, BABIP is much more applicable to pitchers than hitters. The basic idea is that pitcher's don't have much control over what happens once the ball is hit. This is why high strikeout pitchers are more desirable.

On the other hand, hitters do seem to control what happens when the ball is put in play. Hitters' BABIP has a much higher correllation from one season to the next than pitchers' BABIP.

What this means in the example of Michael Young, from a previous post, is that you can expect Young to regress to his established levels, but not all the way down to .300, just because .300 is league average.

But for a pitcher who is giving up a .400 BABIP, you can expect regression toward the .300 level.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:27 am

In addition to my previous post, I want to add that I think looking at a hitter's BABIP can show you players who can be expected to improve, or regress.

Looking at a guy who is really struggling in the early going: Jeff Kent.

Jeff Kent is hitting .197/.333/.268, .601 OPS.
In '04 he hit .289/.348/.531, .880 OPS.
In '05 he hit .289/.377/.512, .889 OPS.

His BABIPs for those years:
2004--.309
2005--.298
2006--.228

His Line Drive %:
2004--20%
2005--21%
2006--22%

His GB%:
2004--39.3%
2005--33.7%
2006--38.6%

I would guess that Kent's extremely low BABIP in 2006 is an outlier, especially considering he is hitting line drives at a higher rate than in '04 and '05 and his GB% is right in line with the other two years. He should improve.

On the other hand, you have the Amazing Kevin Mench.

2004--.279/.335/.539, .874 OPS
2005--.266/.331/.472, .803 OPS
2006--.343/.362/.687, 1.049 OPS

2004--.275 BABIP
2005--.265 BABIP
2006--.333 BABIP

Not that this is surprising news for anyone, but Mench is headed for a fall. The fact that he has yet to walk in 69 plate appearances is also a big warning sign.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby mbuser » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:50 am

good stuff guys -- even taking your views of stats this one step further than the 'standard' numbers, you give yourself that much of an advantage over a good number of fantasy managers. this is definitely a good stat to track, particularly when looking at hot/cold starts

also it seems to me that a pitchers BABIP would be affected a decent amount by his defense and with luck playing a miniscule part, while a batters BABIP would be in large part due to the hitter himself with some luck thrown in
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers