Madison - is this you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Madison - is this you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:38 pm

How do they do that?? Damn.

I was a decent bowler when I bowled, with around a 165 average, but I never rolled higher than a 236. A 900 series? Wow. 8-o
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:15 am

Nope. Wasn't me :-D

Wukoman, who has 18 perfect games to his credit, will wait for the United States Bowling Congress to verify his 900 series, a mere formality considering it was accomplished in a sanctioned league and in front of plenty of witnesses.

Much more than just a formality at this point. USBC will check those lanes to verify they are within standards, along with the oil pattern that was laid down.

USBC (Formerly ABC) has kicked several 900's out due to things not being within the rules.

Along with this:

Interestingly, Wukoman's 900 series was the second to be rolled at Classic Lanes, making it the only house to have played host to two by two different bowlers.

Two of them in the same center? Only 9 shot in the history of the game (billions of games shot) and two of the nine came from that center?

Odds are pretty good that it gets kicked out. The odds of that actually happening are insane. Personally, I hope it gets approved, but it really sounds like a walled up shot, or some other manipulation to me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:28 am

acsguitar wrote:
knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I bowled a 90 once is that almost as good?

My high score ever is 159. We bowled for the first time in five years about a month ago. Three of us were doing "speed bowling" where you just pick up the ball and chuck it down the lane as fast as the ball comes back and the pins get set up - I got a 144 doing that.

nice I try to see how fast I can get going on the radar gun

Yeah, the radar guns are fun. Me and my brother kept trying to top each other so the old people behind the counter shut off the radar gun. They must have thought we were going to break something. (Which was probably a very real possibility). I think I've gotten somewhere in the 60's.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:58 am

Madison wrote:Two of them in the same center? Only 9 shot in the history of the game (billions of games shot) and two of the nine came from that center?

This wouldn't happen to be that center that you can win in a tournament, would it? :-D

By the way, wouldn't a previous approved 900 at the same place actually raise the odds of this one not getting tossed out? It would seem like the lanes have already been declared legitimiate (but then again, I have no idea of what actually goes into the review process).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:12 am

Arlo wrote:
Madison wrote:Two of them in the same center? Only 9 shot in the history of the game (billions of games shot) and two of the nine came from that center?

This wouldn't happen to be that center that you can win in a tournament, would it? :-D

By the way, wouldn't a previous approved 900 at the same place actually raise the odds of this one not getting tossed out? It would seem like the lanes have already been declared legitimiate (but then again, I have no idea of what actually goes into the review process).

Was the previous one upheld though? I assume it was but from what Mad posted it doesn't say one way or the other. I would agree though that if it was done once and OKed then odds are it'd be OKed again, but what do I know? :-b
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:16 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Arlo wrote:

Was the previous one upheld though? I assume it was but from what Mad posted it doesn't say one way or the other. I would agree though that if it was done once and OKed then odds are it'd be OKed again, but what do I know? :-b

I would be some kind of furious if I bowled a Perfect Series and then had it disavowed because of some impropriety in the lane, over which I had no control.

It would be like tossing a Perfect Game only to have it DQ'd because the grounds crew raised the mound by an inch.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:11 pm

Arlo wrote:

Haha :-D . No, they were not shot at the "center" that you can win in a tournament. I quote "center" since it's only got 6 lanes. Makes it a bit hard for me to call it a "center" when the pro tour carts around 4 lanes week to week for the arena finals that are televised.

As to the previous 900, yes, it was approved (sorry I didn't make that clear guys), however it makes things seem awfully fishy for a second one to happen. Imagine the same person winning the lottery twice. Here in Texas, it's something like 4.5 BILLION to one to win, so while it's possible, it's highly unlikely.

I hate to say it, or even think it, as I hope the guy truely accomplished the feat and gets the award. However, it's not too hard to "stack" the lanes for high scores. I can rig any pair of lanes in the world where people will shoot out of their minds. It won't pass a USBC inspection, and no one would know without an in depth inspection, but the scores would be shot.

A couple of easy ways to "stack" lanes is simply to groove the wood (or tilt the synthetic lanes). In other words, sand a path into the lane for the ball to travel on and tilt both sides of the groove to help the ball get into that track line where the groove is. It takes nothing to do, and wouldn't be visable to anyone. No one would know, only a machine scanning the level of each board across the lanes would be able to pick up on it. As a side note, several centers have lost their sanctions due to grooves in the lanes. Wood lanes will have grooves after extended play (thousands of games), so if a center doesn't resurface, or replace their lanes occasionally, the wood itself will fall out of specifications.

The addition to the groove would be the oil pattern. There are specifications as to how much and how little oil can be placed on the lanes, and how far down or how short the pattern can be run. Ever notice there's always more oil on the inside part of the lane than there is on the outside part? It's a typical crown shot that most centers use during open play and the conditions are made a bit tougher for leagues, but usually it's still a crown condition. Anyway, the oil can be placed (or not placed) strategically to "help" the ball get into the groove where it has no choice but to hit the pocket and strike.

Imagine the green of a golf course. Now imagine that it's a perfect circle around, and the hole is at the center, which also happens to be the lowest part of the green. A perfect cylinder, like a funnel. You tee off and the ball lands on the green. It's got no choice but to fall in the hole. The same can be done for bowling, just to a lesser extent.

The bowler would still have to be good enough to toss 36 consecutive shots within a board or two of each other at 45 feet down the lane (lanes are 60 feet long by the way---and a board is an inch wide, so we're talking about tossing 36 consecutive shots 45 feet away and being within 1 or 2 inches max of differential), but should he/she be able to do it, a huge score would definitely happen, including a possible 900.

Anyhow, I hope it stands up for the guy and gets approved. I'd be pretty depressed if I thought I shot a 900 and then came to find out that I only did it because the lanes were "stacked". :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:31 pm

So what are your high scores/high series, Mad?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:53 pm

pokerplaya wrote:So what are your high scores/high series, Mad?

High game: 300
High series: 842 (278-265-299)

;-D

What I'm most proud of is that one of my teams shot the 3rd best scratch series in the history of bowling for a 4 man, 1 woman team. We shot 3,610. My wife was the woman on the team. We each got plaques for it, the team captain (my wife) got an oversized plaque, and the bowling center where we shot it got an oversized plaque. ;-D

Either that, or being the youngest Fort Worth City Singles Champion in history (I won it when I was 18) would be the thing I'm most proud of. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:43 am

To answer, the question... this is actually Madison; at least, what he posts with... :-o

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk