Save your #1 Waiver Pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Save your #1 Waiver Pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby duckbillgates » Sat May 13, 2006 12:09 am

I'm giving in and using my No. 1 waiver on him.
I've got a couple new guys in my league, so I'm not really sure I don't have the type of guys who would drop someone they shouldn't, but I've actually sat on a No. 1 all season before, waiting for a big drop that never comes.
Likewise, a lot of worthwhile guys that you wouldn't use a No. 1 slip through your fingers. I'd almost rather be done with it.
Since my ace on that team is the Unit (and I gambled on both Prior AND Clemens in the middle rounds), my pitching staff could use a shot in the arm.
Here we go. Long live King Cole ...
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:58 am

duckbillgates wrote:I'm giving in and using my No. 1 waiver on him. I've got a couple new guys in my league, so I'm not really sure I don't have the type of guys who would drop someone they shouldn't, but I've actually sat on a No. 1 all season before, waiting for a big drop that never comes.Likewise, a lot of worthwhile guys that you wouldn't use a No. 1 slip through your fingers. I'd almost rather be done with it. ...

I've almost started a thread on this theme several times. "The curse of the high waiver pick!" I guard my waiver status like a miser, and there've been times I was damned glad that I did. But there are those other times when that great opportunity never shows up, but...lots..of...little...opportunities come and go. And you keep missing out. And you finally use it, and there's this rush of euphoria afterwards. Free, free, free at last! And then sometimes that glorious moment a few days later when there's a borderline player available, the kind of guy you would pick up as a free agent, but not ordinarily waste a waiver pick on. And then you remember -- hey! -- I'm last on the waiver list! I can't go any lower! I put in a waiver claim on this piece of crap, and sleep in in the morning! Life is good!

Sorry, you nudged me into a moment of fantasy baseball rapture there... O:-)
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rentz » Sat May 13, 2006 10:06 am

rainman23 wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:I'm giving in and using my No. 1 waiver on him. I've got a couple new guys in my league, so I'm not really sure I don't have the type of guys who would drop someone they shouldn't, but I've actually sat on a No. 1 all season before, waiting for a big drop that never comes.Likewise, a lot of worthwhile guys that you wouldn't use a No. 1 slip through your fingers. I'd almost rather be done with it. ...

I've almost started a thread on this theme several times. "The curse of the high waiver pick!" I guard my waiver status like a miser, and there've been times I was damned glad that I did. But there are those other times when that great opportunity never shows up, but...lots..of...little...opportunities come and go. And you keep missing out. And you finally use it, and there's this rush of euphoria afterwards. Free, free, free at last! And then sometimes that glorious moment a few days later when there's a borderline player available, the kind of guy you would pick up as a free agent, but not ordinarily waste a waiver pick on. And then you remember -- hey! -- I'm last on the waiver list! I can't go any lower! I put in a waiver claim on this piece of crap, and sleep in in the morning! Life is good!

yeah, sometimes its a blessing, sometimes its a curse. in my 18team league, i think i HAVE to use my #1 waiver on hamels.
in an 18team league good guys just dont get dropped.

in a smaller league....its a lot harder,because good guys get dropped sometimes....like sexson was dropped in one of my 12 team competitive leagues.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat May 13, 2006 10:11 am

rentz wrote:
rainman23 wrote:

yeah, sometimes its a blessing, sometimes its a curse. in my 18team league, i think i HAVE to use my #1 waiver on hamels.
in an 18team league good guys just dont get dropped.

in a smaller league....its a lot harder,because good guys get dropped sometimes....like sexson was dropped in one of my 12 team competitive leagues.

If you watched the game last night (I watched it twice with my DVR), he was around the plate. His fastball command was off and it allowed Cincy to layoff the devastating change up out of the zone (well not all of them but).

It was his first MLB start, on the road, in the rain against a good hitting Cincy club. He only gave up one hit which could have been caught. If he can locate his fastball a bit better, he's going to have a big season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:36 am

Yoda wrote:
It was his first MLB start, on the road, in the rain against a good hitting Cincy club. He only gave up one hit which could have been caught. If he can locate his fastball a bit better, he's going to have a big season.

In one of the blurbs he said he'd NEVER pitched in the rain before!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:18 pm

haha hype machine...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers