Save your #1 Waiver Pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Save your #1 Waiver Pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MadMobius » Tue May 02, 2006 2:57 am

Consider picking up Rich Hill for the Cubs. He starts on Thurs v. Ari and his 4 games with the AAA Iowa Cubs is this:

1-0, 1.44 era, 0.80 whip (13hits+7bb in 25ip), 33 k's in 25 ip (11.88 k/9)

and he should already be available (no waiver priority issues)...

I apologize ahead of time if he blows up...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 am

Yoda wrote:
Ender wrote:I was in 5 leagues last year and not a single one was won by the person who took felix. Holding your waiver has its own built in disadvantages that almost universally offsets the player you end up getting with the waiver. In a keeper league I can see it, in a normal league it simply is not worth it.

Not sure what kind of leagues you play in but in my leagues, you don't see too much on waivers. If you are in a competitive league, teams tend to be more patient and they don't make stupid moves.

Just because you picked up Felix in 05 doesn't mean you won. But I guarantee you that he helped his owners to go up in standings based on how he pitched. I can't imagine using a #1 waiver pick on Felix hurt anyone.

I play in deep roster leagues where you don't just have a team full of all-stars and someone dropping a player like Gary Mathews JR could be a big payday for me as a 5th OF.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue May 02, 2006 9:14 am

here is a better reason: Howie Kendrick is up ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon May 08, 2006 12:14 pm

Hamels dominant again. Who are you saving your waiver pick for?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rainman23 » Mon May 08, 2006 12:29 pm

Music2004Man wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:Don't ever use a #1 waiver on a prospect hitter called-up from the minors. Most of them will have to go thorugh an adjustment period in the big leagues. However, a pitcher is a different story (ONLY if his hype is worth it, e.g. Prior, Felix) since its more likely that major league hitters have to adjust to him.

I think your thoughts here are interesting but I would rather hold my #1 priority for a hitter over a pitcher. My thought is that a highly ranked prospect aka Delmon Young (if he can stop throwing bats at umps) sorry, low blow, BJ Upton, Jeremy Hermida, Prince Fielder will need less time to adjust then the top prospect pitchers Felix, Duke, Liriano, Verlander. What do you guys think about this?

Well, a couple of the names you mention seriously bely this theory. Hernandez and Duke were major parts of me winning my league last year. Harden hit the ground running a couple years earlier. Prior was outstanding in 2002. I'd certainly take a chance on the next stud hitter, too. But it seems like we've seen more examples in recent years of a rookie pitcher taking his league by storm. More ammunition for those who insist you should never draft pitching early, I guess...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon May 08, 2006 12:30 pm

Some *expletive omitted* scooped him up in my CBS league and his stashing him because *expletive omitted*ing Erik Mack decides to blow up Hamels to all the no-nothings in my league who wouldn't even know who he was without seeing the article on the front page of the League Home. What do you offer to grab him and stash him? Is it insane that I'm considering offering something of value to stash this guy? I hate when I think of doing something impulsive and irrational...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon May 08, 2006 12:36 pm

AT wrote:Some *expletive omitted* scooped him up in my CBS league and his stashing him because *expletive omitted*ing Erik Mack decides to blow up Hamels to all the no-nothings in my league who wouldn't even know who he was without seeing the article on the front page of the League Home. What do you offer to grab him and stash him? Is it insane that I'm considering offering something of value to stash this guy? I hate when I think of doing something impulsive and irrational...

No. I think he's one of those guys who will be lights out and possibly flame out. His injury history is way too extensive to give up anything of value other than burning a waiver priority.

I'm sitting pretty good with my #1. I am still torn between Hamels and Billingsley but Hamels seems too good to be true to pass up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AT » Mon May 08, 2006 12:44 pm

I'm honestly considering trading up from 10th waiver priority to 1st with this guy in my league. I think that'd be such a cool deal... Who knows if it will backfire or not, but it's fun discussing something like this with him.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri May 12, 2006 7:31 pm

Ummm yeah.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DCNats » Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 pm

AT wrote:I'm honestly considering trading up from 10th waiver priority to 1st with this guy in my league. I think that'd be such a cool deal... Who knows if it will backfire or not, but it's fun discussing something like this with him.

I did this last year to get Felix.
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers