First Base Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

First Base Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First Base Rumors

Postby ironman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:11 pm

So I've heard murmurs about Carlos Pena, now my buddy mentions Tony Clark too.

My only question is why? What good would either of those guys do? And don't spout off Clark's '05 numbers to me. Look at his numbers before that and what he's done this year and its pretty obvious last year was a fluke.

I guess I can live with Walker primarily playing first with Mabry spelling him and the ugly two-headed monster I call Neifi-Hair at 2B.

Also, isn't this a chance to see if Brian Dopirak will ever be worth a damn?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:14 pm

Depends what the Cubs have to give up. Every game Neifi sits is a plus.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Re: First Base Rumors

Postby ironman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:37 pm

ironman wrote:Also, isn't this a chance to see if Brian Dopirak will ever be worth a damn?

Crap, forget I asked this. I just saw that he broke his foot in West Tennessee's opening game. :-/
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BeefSandwiches » Thu May 04, 2006 10:14 am

I just saw that Choi may be put on waivers by BOS (his rehab stint has maxed out)- any chance the Cubs give him a second go 'round in Wrigley until D Lee comes back if they can grab him on waivers? His AAA numbers were decent...

I agree that Walker is more than servicable at 1B, but it seems the Cubs front office is planning on getting someone else in there.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Thu May 04, 2006 1:19 pm

BeefSandwiches wrote:I just saw that Choi may be put on waivers by BOS (his rehab stint has maxed out)- any chance the Cubs give him a second go 'round in Wrigley until D Lee comes back if they can grab him on waivers? His AAA numbers were decent...

I agree that Walker is more than servicable at 1B, but it seems the Cubs front office is planning on getting someone else in there.

Cubs management would have rocks in their skull to give Choi a second go-round.

My guess is they stand firm with what they have. It really is a shame that Dopirak got hurt.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby statsman88 » Thu May 04, 2006 4:47 pm

I would like to see pena come in for cheap, You never know how he will do though could hit .150 or .290 and 30 hr, he tore it up in the 2nd half last year for detroit after hitting about .180 in the first half, and then had a terrible spring, but if we got him cheap, I think he's worth a shot.
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon May 08, 2006 11:57 pm

You know whose mullet I would love to see in a Cubs uniform... Craig Wilson. The Pirates already look destined for another last-place finish, and once Casey comes back, they still don't have a full-time spot for Wilson. Having Wilson to spell Lee at first, Jones in right, and Blanco behind the plate would be sweet. What would the Cubs have to give up? Hill, Guzman? Sold. Give 'em both for all I care. We don't need more young pitching with much promise and no reward. We need some hitting. Especially some veteran hitting with positional flexibility. The only untouchable in the farm system as far as I'm concerned is Pie. And the only untouchables on the big league club should be Lee and Ramirez. Maybe Cedeno and Murton. Anyone else should be fair game, and the Cubs should eat as many contracts or pay as much cash as necessary to make the deal palatable to the Pirates.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby ironman » Tue May 09, 2006 12:08 pm

EugeneStyles wrote:You know whose mullet I would love to see in a Cubs uniform... Craig Wilson. The Pirates already look destined for another last-place finish, and once Casey comes back, they still don't have a full-time spot for Wilson. Having Wilson to spell Lee at first, Jones in right, and Blanco behind the plate would be sweet. What would the Cubs have to give up? Hill, Guzman? Sold. Give 'em both for all I care. We don't need more young pitching with much promise and no reward. We need some hitting. Especially some veteran hitting with positional flexibility. The only untouchable in the farm system as far as I'm concerned is Pie. And the only untouchables on the big league club should be Lee and Ramirez. Maybe Cedeno and Murton. Anyone else should be fair game, and the Cubs should eat as many contracts or pay as much cash as necessary to make the deal palatable to the Pirates.

Wilson would be an interesting addition, and the way the Cubs have used Pittsburgh as their supplemental farm team in years past who knows. I doubt they would deal Guzman or Hill for him though. They probably wouldn't have to. I doubt Wilson would be that expensive.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Chicago Cubs