I am. ;-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Interesting Rumor.

Sosa is really good in Relief
What are you talking about? He's consistantly bad in relief.

Reitsma is the closer and he's been fine for us this year. That said, I still day it'll be devine by the ASB.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:16 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
Interesting Rumor.

Reitsma is the closer and he's been fine for us this year. That said, I still day it'll be devine by the ASB.

His ERA was pretty nice last year
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:13 pm

If Atlanta can find somebody to close and let Reitsma setup their team gets much better. I predicted awhile back that Sosa would close given his stuff, frame, and delivery. I still believe that Atlanta needs to find somebody else to close. If there is a huge weakness on that team its their bullpen.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby TonyCee » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:46 pm

acsguitar wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:
Interesting Rumor.

His ERA was pretty nice last year

Yeah and what about his WHIP and SO's??? :-b
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bravelaker » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:32 am

is villarreal not even in the picture anymore i picked him up a few weeks ago and I have been patient :-o
bravelaker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JohnGris » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:29 am

bravelaker wrote:is villarreal not even in the picture anymore i picked him up a few weeks ago and I have been patient :-o

You did the right thing. If Reitsma loses the job, Villarreal is still by far the favored next-in-line. It's always risky to try to guess on a future closer, because somebody else, like Cormier or Devine, could swoop in and change up the plans. Or Reitsma could put it together...all it would take is a 2 or 3 solid appearances in a row and suddenly this conversation will have stopped, at least temporarily.

But you made the best possible guess.

Plus, if you're in a holds league he's a great pick-up, and if he continues on his 1.80 ERA pace, he can only help in that stat. However, I'm a bit worried that he's doing TOO good as a set-up man. It will be hard for Atlanta to part ways with that kind of safety in the middle innings.

-JohnGris
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BritSox » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:51 am

JohnGris wrote:
bravelaker wrote:is villarreal not even in the picture anymore i picked him up a few weeks ago and I have been patient :-o

You did the right thing. If Reitsma loses the job, Villarreal is still by far the favored next-in-line. It's always risky to try to guess on a future closer, because somebody else, like Cormier or Devine, could swoop in and change up the plans. Or Reitsma could put it together...all it would take is a 2 or 3 solid appearances in a row and suddenly this conversation will have stopped, at least temporarily.

Plus, if you're in a holds league he's a great pick-up, and if he continues on his 1.80 ERA pace, he can only help in that stat. However, I'm a bit worried that he's doing TOO good as a set-up man. It will be hard for Atlanta to part ways with that kind of safety in the middle innings.

-JohnGris

I'm in a holds league. I'm not entirely sure he's actually got one yet, certainly not been a big contributor. The four wins leads my staff though.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby stumpak » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:13 am

Sosa's ERA was pure luck last year. He is not a very good pitcher in any role.

This whole situation is a mess. I am pretty confident that Reitsma will blow up sooner or later, but Villareal is completely unproven closing as well.

We could see aparade of candidates get an audition, but tend to a agree that the most likely outcome is a trade. Frankly, I would not be surprised to the see the Braves go to the Tigers again and nab Rodney. With Jones healthy and Zumaya in the wings, Rodney is no longer essetnial to the Tigers plans this year or in the future.

Finally, if Ugueth Urbina is ever let out of prison, he will be closing games in Atlanta as soon as he can get sharp the minors.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JohnGris » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:38 am

BritSox wrote:
JohnGris wrote:

-JohnGris

I'm in a holds league. I'm not entirely sure he's actually got one yet, certainly not been a big contributor. The four wins leads my staff though.

Surprisingly, you're right. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but a few of those wins were hold opportunities that he blew at first. He should end up with a good amount of holds and/or saves before the years over, I would think. Either way, he looks like at the very least a safe choice for a holds league, at the very best a valuable closer.
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers