MERGED: Delmon Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MERGED: Delmon Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:15 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:Sorry thought you meant that he wouldn't get called up till 08.

Personally though i think it will be around 50 games and hell get called up in 07.

No worries. He will be in the majors at some point next year. In a keeper league though, it's all about banking on projections, which in Young's case, heavily depends on how long the suspension is.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Need some opinions on the Delmon issue...

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:17 am

Let me ask you guys a question:

Do you think Delmon would have done this, if the umpire was not a replacement one?

I am not sure, but i think it played a large factor in what he did. He already thinks hes better than everyone in the league, seems to have a cocky attitude, and then getting thrown out by a replacement ump, i think may have caused him to snap at least it was a small factor IMO.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Half Massed » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:24 am

I don't know if Delmon's got an authority issue, but if he does, then it's possible that played a role. I'm not sure he even realized it was a replacement ump, and if he did, he had to have known the result would be the same.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Need some opinions on the Delmon issue...

Postby Steve-o » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:04 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:Let me ask you guys a question:

Do you think Delmon would have done this, if the umpire was not a replacement one?

I am not sure, but i think it played a large factor in what he did. He already thinks hes better than everyone in the league, seems to have a cocky attitude, and then getting thrown out by a replacement ump, i think may have caused him to snap at least it was a small factor IMO.

I agree that it played a large factor. He probably does not have the same respect for some "scab" replacement.

Think about it this way: If your boss gets replaced by some new person, who everyone knows would only be around for a few days, and then the new guy tells you what you old boss had previous said to do was totally wrong, you might get a little frustrated. Add onto the whole situation that you are the smartest guy in the office, and everyone admits it, yet for some reason they keep putting you on copier and coffee duty to get "experience." Yeah, I can see how frustration would mount.

That said, throwing a temper tantrum is never is valid response for anyone over the age of 4. I fully support a large suspension for Delmon.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Half Massed » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:05 am

He SHOULD be suspended for the entire year, but I bet he won't be. Call me cynical, but I doubt the commish suspends him for that long with the reason of wanting baseball's top prospect to continue his path to the majors or something. However, I do think they will suspend him long enough to get the point across. 45 games or so sounds probable.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:14 am

Steve-o wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:Let me ask you guys a question:

I agree that it played a large factor. He probably does not have the same respect for some "scab" replacement.

Think about it this way: If your boss gets replaced by some new person, who everyone knows would only be around for a few days, and then the new guy tells you what you old boss had previous said to do was totally wrong, you might get a little frustrated. Add onto the whole situation that you are the smartest guy in the office, and everyone admits it, yet for some reason they keep putting you on copier and coffee duty to get "experience." Yeah, I can see how frustration would mount.

That said, throwing a temper tantrum is never is valid response for anyone over the age of 4. I fully support a large suspension for Delmon.

LOL...obviously you have never worked in a corporation. Upper management is generally a bunch of idiots. I know most of the bosses I have had could be replaced by a 10 year old and they probably would do a better job than the paper pushing know-nothings in upper management. If I got a new guy that said my old boss was an idiot and did everything wrong, in 99% of the cases, I probably would stand up and start cheering.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:19 am

I think another example would be a substitute teacher in school, whenever a sub comes in you automatically assume hes a joke/push over.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steve-o » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:22 am

TheYanks04 wrote:LOL...obviously you have never worked in a corporation. Upper management is generally a bunch of idiots. I know most of the bosses I have had could be replaced by a 10 year old and they probably would do a better job than the paper pushing know-nothings in upper management. If I got a new guy that said my old boss was an idiot and did everything wrong, in 99% of the cases, I probably would stand up and start cheering.

Actually, I have. 1,600 person corporation in one of my first jobs, and a 250 member firm in my last job. I was actually thinking of office space the whole time as I was writing it.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:22 am

I understand the point of the thread, and to get a discussion and this and that... but my question is...

what's the difference? I don't care if it's the Pope or the umpire; unless a guy is trying to harm you physically or steal from you or something, you just don't chuck a bat at him, period. I don't care if he's cocky, young, stupid, has an 'authority issue', or any of that garbage. You don't throw (or 'flick') bats at people. I can't see there being much of a debate beyond that as to why, or how, or what led to it, or if he wouldn't have done it had X, Y, Z happened with the stars aligned on the night of the blood moon.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Half Massed » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:28 am

bigh0rt wrote:I understand the point of the thread, and to get a discussion and this and that... but my question is...

what's the difference? I don't care if it's the Pope or the umpire; unless a guy is trying to harm you physically or steal from you or something, you just don't chuck a bat at him, period. I don't care if he's cocky, young, stupid, has an 'authority issue', or any of that garbage. You don't throw (or 'flick') bats at people. I can't see there being much of a debate beyond that as to why, or how, or what led to it, or if he wouldn't have done it had X, Y, Z happened with the stars aligned on the night of the blood moon.

It's human nature to be curious about the psychological reasonings behind unreasonable actions. I don't see anyone here defending him, just wanting to what the this and that were that culminated to him throwing the bat.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers