Bannister out, Heilman in ?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bannister out, Heilman in ??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bannister out, Heilman in ??

Postby 5 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:38 pm

CBS Sportsline shows this little blurb on Heilman. I'm a Heilman owner in my points league so this info was on my homepage.

Aaron Heilman, RP NYM

News: Mets rookie Brian Bannister (hamstring) scored the go-ahead run Wednesday in the top of the sixth but strained his right hamstring. He left the game with the lead, but didn't factor in the decision. The Mets say Bannister will travel with the team to Atlanta and be re-evaluated this weekend. It looks like he won't be able to make his start Tuesday vs. Washington at this point, which could be filled by Aaron Heilman, who came on to blow Bannister's win in relief.

Analysis: Bannister's two-start week could go to Heilman now. We say Bannister hits the 15-day DL. Take a flier on Heilman in any league in which he is available and you have reserves. The two starts could prove a coup.

This is only CBS' take and just a rumor now so I really don't know if that's the route the Mets will take but if they do, there's a real nice spot starter for everyone. I'm a big Heilman fan so I was glad to hear this. If he gets the start, I wouldn't expect him to throw a lot of innings right off the bat since he's coming out of the bullpen but for you roto guys...that could mean you won't have to burn IP in your hopes to get a win.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kabbie4 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:53 am

According to the news the Mets will probably call a pitcher up from AAA to replace Bannister if it comes to that rather than but Heilman in the rotation. Apparently management is happy with the bullpen the way it is.

How depressing. I'm a Heilman fan/owner too. I might put him in for a week anyway..with all this he might still see some extra play time, and its not like he could do any more damage than Doug Davis has to me lately!

Rate the party: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=272889
Kabbie4 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mrubino » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:13 am

I have Heilman on my roster too and i actually use him in my starting lineup. i would rather have a week of his 5 ip, 0.00 era, 1.000 whip and 5 k's over a scrub starter that i have to hope just doesnt get bombed just to fill a starting spot. i live in NYC and i follow the mets and i just feel they need to tweak their team a bit to get better. beltran should bat 2nd and heilman should be starting and bannister should be in the pen.
mrubino
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby masarume » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:14 pm

Heilmen is on waivers for me. I've kept an eye on him just because I see good things for him in the future. However, why don't the Mets want to take a chance on the kid? Is he not ready?

Frustrating to say the least.
masarume

Hockey Mod
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Htr10 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:09 pm

The issue with Heilman not being in the starting rotation has nothing to do with the Mets believing that he is not good enough to be a starter. Plain and simple, they need him in the bullpen where he has been a very strong late inning to bridge to the closer both this year and last year. Bannister getting the nod in the starting rotation to begin with was mainly due to his complete lack of experience as a reliever whereas Heilman was already proven in the bullpen. Even now with Bannister hurt, the Mets probably won't put Heilman into the rotation because they have no one to fill his role in the bullpen at the moment. That said, the Mets also have fairly terrible call-up options to replace Bannister in the starting rotation such as Jose Lima.
Htr10
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Htr10 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:11 pm

Also, for what it's worth, you will never see starters such as Brian Bannister or Victor Zambrano get sent to the bullpen because their WHIP is terrible. You can't have a relief pitcher who walks that many guys. This is what led to Heilman with his lower WHIP (last year...this year it's not been so good) going to the bullpen to begin with last year even though both Zambrano and Kaz Ishii were doing worse in the starting rotation.
Htr10
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:19 pm

I think John Maine will get the call, Heilman will stay in the bullpen.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beezer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:37 pm

I agree that Maine could get the call if Bannister can't go. Maine has been lights out in 4 starts in triple-A.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chinst » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:37 pm

No way do they move Heilman to the rotation. Well, I may end up eating my words because Willie Randolph is a moron, but it would be unwise to weaken the bullpen by moving Heilman to the rotation unless Bannister misses SUBSTANTIAL time.

If Zambrano still pitching in the rotation is any indication of the Mets' insistance on sticking with trades, no matter how bad, I think the Benson trade will make Maine the likely option -- in the short term at least. Not to mention the fact that Maine is already on the 40-man roster, unlike Lima, and is on schedule to pitch on regular rest in Bannister's stead.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:43 pm

Not to mention Lima is getting blown up in Norfolk. If they were going to shuffle the 40 I think Iriki would be the guy to get the call.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates