Hall of Famers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hall of Famers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LightsOut » Mon May 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Oh, and you are wrong about Hoffman. Very Good. IN the HOF

10.01 k/9inn for career and 436 saves, 1.051 Whip and counting at the top of the season. He's the next reliever in when done. Considering that Rivera retires a little afterwards. But it doesn't matter they both deserve it.
LightsOut
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon May 01, 2006 5:42 pm

No love for Craig Biggio????

2800+ hits, 1700+ runs scored, an all star at 2 different positions, the face of a franchise during an entire decade plus some. I think he will definitely be in Cooperstown.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon May 01, 2006 5:44 pm

willy-t wrote:Gary Sheffield would have to merit consideration

449 HR
297 Ave

Not good enough, conisdering the era and the BALCO connection. not to mention all of the attitude problems.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Mon May 01, 2006 5:56 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:No love for Craig Biggio????

2800+ hits, 1700+ runs scored, an all star at 2 different positions, the face of a franchise during an entire decade plus some. I think he will definitely be in Cooperstown.

For him to be a first ballot lock is going to take him reaching the 3000 hit plateau. Until then its difficult to be certain he will get the support from enough the writers who don't pay much attention unless you win rings. He should definitely make it in at some point though.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby dissent » Mon May 01, 2006 5:58 pm

Biggio will definitely be in, although maybe not on the first ballot. It all depends on who else is eligible that year.

I'm not 100% convinced that Hoff will be in. If Goose doesn't get in, Hoffman won't either. Say what you want about the numbers, but Goose pitched during a different era where saves weren't as valued. Closers also typically worked a lot harder for a save back then. Having lived to see both, I can easily say that Gossage was the more dominant closer.
dissent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon May 01, 2006 6:00 pm

Considering 500 HR, 3000 hits or 300 wins used to be the benchmark for locking a spot... I'd say right now, only Junior, Bonds, Clemens and Maddux are "sure-fire" on the first ballot. Maybe not Bonds, simply because of the Balco situation. Rivera might get in the first time around, but it's hard to say because of the lack of other pure closers inducted. There are LOTS of guys who probably will get in on their first swing, but not many who are qualified to do so if they retired today.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:42 pm

Albert Belle should defiently be in the Hall of Fame. He was every bit as good as guys like Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds ect. when he was in his prime. He single handidly took a franchise that had sucked for years and took them to the playoffs multiple times and to a world series. He averaged 40 home runs and 130 RBI a year. He is the best baseball player I've ever seen, granted I'm only 29, but I've never seen somebody play the game like him. He amazed me.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 02, 2006 11:03 am

Tavish wrote:

For him to be a first ballot lock is going to take him reaching the 3000 hit plateau. Until then its difficult to be certain he will get the support from enough the writers who don't pay much attention unless you win rings. He should definitely make it in at some point though.

He should get the 3000 hits sometime next year, unless a bad injury comes along. I think him and Bags both get in for the Astros.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Tue May 02, 2006 11:36 am

I'm surprised I don't see more Thomas love......

Career
.306 avg
.992 ops
453 hr
1476 rbi
1336 runs
1476 bb
449 2b

2 MVPs

Holds the longest consective streak of .300 20hr 100rbi 100runs 100bb at 7 years ('91 to '97)

And injuries played the most part of his decline not just "bad" play. He was also the primary firstbasemen through '97 so he wasn't a DH his entire career.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Tavish » Tue May 02, 2006 5:56 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Tavish wrote:

He should get the 3000 hits sometime next year, unless a bad injury comes along. I think him and Bags both get in for the Astros.

I hope Biggio can be productive and healthy long enough to reach the 3000 hit mark and become a surefire first ballot guy. He has always been one of the most enjoyable players to watch play the game.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers