Hall of Famers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hall of Famers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:26 am

teddy ballgame wrote:I don't think Bonds is sure fire first ballot. I highly doubt he gets in on the first ballot, if he gets in at all.

If Bonds doesn't get in, they should close the HOF, or boycott it. I would never pay to go to it, if Bonds is not there.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:30 am

Tavish, no love for Bagwell, a top 5 1b?

Smoltz is very iffy.
Glavine gets in if he gets to 300.

Pedro and Jeter will make it easily.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby YardBirds » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:30 am

Albert "Joey" Belle should make it.... l know he doesn't play anymore... but he should get in and you all know it.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Thursday » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:39 am

HOOTIE wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:I don't think Bonds is sure fire first ballot. I highly doubt he gets in on the first ballot, if he gets in at all.

If Bonds doesn't get in, they should close the HOF, or boycott it. I would never pay to go to it, if Bonds is not there.

This is yet another reason having Bonds around is making me sick. Even after he retires, we STILL have to talk about him years after the fact when it comes time for Hall consideration. Good lord Barry, just GO AWAY ALREADY.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:08 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I saw some people with Mariano Rivera on their lists. I suggest you add Trevor Hoffman, before DM and Wrveres have a conniption. :-b

good call, he is a better closer than Rivera :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:47 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Tavish, no love for Bagwell, a top 5 1b?

Top 5 of this era, not top 5 All-Time. Bags has Hall of Fame credentials, but I don't think he has the outright numbers to make him a lock for the first ballot entry. I didn't list him on the "soon to be a lock" list because it really looks like his days are over and I don't see him improving his standing.

An offensive player coming out of this era without at least one of these is going to a bubble first ballot entry unless their name carries a bunch of weight (along the lines of Jeter).

3000 Hits (2314)
500 HR (449)
.300 career BA (.297)
1600 RBI (1529)
Multiple MVP awards (1)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby LightsOut » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:00 pm

Smoltz is in with Eck on that 20 win / 40 save list. If Glavine continues with the start this year it proves he just isn't hangin around and is in.

not playin but in

Belle was the man but won't get the media backing. 50 HR / 50 2B same season. No Roids and he's the gamer Puckett was without the outward goodwill. He'll get in with the veterans help, and before Jim Rice.

DH's dont get the respect so I can't mention Baines but he does have his number retired twice, and won't make it. Edgar was better, didn't he have a couple batting titles? should be in. Gotta have ONE DH for cryin out loud!
Raffy - if he gets disinfected somehow. (IMAGINE IF YOU WILL if the cubs had traded their blonde 1B and kept Raffy . . . . . . . . .)

Rickey H will have the highest percentage HOF vote after Tom Seaver. WRITE THAT DOWN. The shadow of his former self still led off with homers, walked, and stole! We saw him and tried to decipher his speaches. Wow what a character.

Playin, will and should
no particular order this batch
Maddux
Piazza
A-Rod
Ivan Rodriguez (all those gold gloves)
Manny RIBBY monster
Kent all-time HR @ 2B MVP(yeah hitting in front of bonds)
Jr.
Rivera
Hoffman
Clemens
Bonds
Bagwell - iffy of this batch but I sure liked him.

Next Group
Vizquel - best glove and steady in the power SS era will get lost after A-Rod, Jeter(leadership dynasty), Tejada(need more of a sample) who are in.
Ortiz (more years of same please) Think George Foster.
Richie Sexson(look up the numbers over time )
Give us a flash Frank Thomas, MVP ops monster.
Ichiro - Really, hits record for a season. (MVP ROY ala Fred Lynn)Batting titles.

Giambi may resurect himself. MVP
Puljos Clearly if he continues. Like Teddy ballgame (early Frank) avg and pwr.
Thome - easier if he helps the Chi-Sox continue or gets to 550.
Andruw Jones - still young and improving.
People just like Schilling so maybe another big post season for him.
Biggio - Gloves and all star everywhere and hell I just like him.

Lots more of a sample needed but . . . . We'll like em for years to come on our fantasy teams.
Adam Dunn: Schmidt like - if he finds the average stroke(like when he first came up), tripple crown threat! wont get in on the glove though at this point
Jason Bay on some exclusive .300 30HR 100RBI list
Vernon Wells
Halladay
pitchers are tougher to say.
D Lowe if he has a goal
Pedro cause he's an Idol with a great whip! won't get the wins but he's always in the middle of the action. Zim and hittin guys

LightsOut
LightsOut
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby statsman88 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:58 pm

YardBirds wrote:Albert "Joey" Belle should make it.... l know he doesn't play anymore... but he should get in and you all know it.

Belle is my favorite player of all time and should be in the hall. He is the RBI king of the 90's, and his numbers from 91-2000 are bar none. Joe Dimaggio never talked to the media either, or Steve Carlton. If there wasn't a strike in 94', he probably would have had the best year anyone had ever seen to that point, and would have given Maris' record a run.

I think its awful that because of one's appearance to the media that they should get cut short of the HOF. Take Michael Irvin, he didn't get in but deserved to, I know he's crazy, but so is everyone else in football, not just him. Belle's the same way. The Hall of Fame should be about the best players, not just pretty good players that media likes.

BTW Yardbirds., is that sig pic from his first home run with the Orioles, back on opening day? Anyway, I really like it
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:59 pm

bellings wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Everyone belongs in the HOF....EVERYONE. Play 10 years and you should automaticallly qualify. It is only fair. If Ozzie Smith can get in with a 660 OPS, then anyone good enough to play regularly for 10 or more years should qualify as an all time great.

Yes, every player that plays for 10 years, posts a 660 OPS, and is the greatest player of all time at the most important defensive position in baseball should make the HOF.
Well put.

What do people think of Chipper Jones' chances at this point? He's one of the all-time best offensive 3Bs, and if he can stick around for another ~5 years, he'll push 450 HRs.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby willy-t » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:08 pm

Gary Sheffield would have to merit consideration

449 HR
297 Ave
willy-t