Sell High On Jonny Gomes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sell High On Jonny Gomes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby reynolds80 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 pm

hybrid wrote:
reynolds80 wrote:This really isn't all that different from Morneau's season last year. I would not be suprised to see Gomes resurface as a fantasy force in 2007.

Sure it is, Morneau was always a very talented prospect and always performed better than Gomes. Johnny besides last year was always a .250 - .260 hitter with power that K'd way to much.

I should have clarified. While Morneau's 2005 and Gomes' 2006 have alot of similarities, they're really on a different scale. Morneau obviously has a higher ceiling, and is six months younger.

But let's look at this. Let's not forget that Morneau hit .211 in the 2nd half of 2005, and hit .230 or lower in each and every month except his sizzling April. Similarly, Gomes had a red-hot April and then has hit .240 or lower in each month since, including a .125 July.

Injuries played a big role in both players' performances.

Now, I don't expect Gomes to rebound to Morneau's .320-30 so far in 2006. Like I said, it's on a different scale. Once healthy, I expect Gomes' rebound will be more like .265-35 with a nice OBP.

Speaking of OBP, you'll notice we've only been talking batting average and homers so far. But right now Gomes has had effectively the same amount of at bats as last year:

YR__AB___AVG__HR__BB__K
05__348__.282__21___39__113
06__353__.212__20___56__108

And everything has remained constant, except he has walked more, struck out a tiny bit less, and his avg is way down. Given that he hit .282 last year while striking out a little more with the same power, I must conclude that he was a little lucky last year and a little unlucky this year.

A lot of guys do chop their K rates around age 26-28. If that happens, expect a higher batting avg and the boost in power that goes with it.

I guess this makes me the resident Gomes defender. I just think, if he's healthy, watch him closely next spring - he could be a great bargain late in a draft.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:08 pm

reynolds80 wrote:
And everything has remained constant, except he has walked more, struck out a tiny bit less, and his avg is way down. Given that he hit .282 last year while striking out a little more with the same power, I must conclude that he was a little lucky last year and a little unlucky this year.

He was actually quite lucky last year with a BABIP of .360, and this year he is at .244. If he gets his BABIP up to the .280 range or so, I think he could hit around .250 or so for a year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gold Rush » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:03 pm

Even though I was really high on Gomes in the beginning of the season, I did trade him and Brandon Webb for Jason Bay right before Bay's hot streak in May where he hit a HR every day. Now I just got him back very cheaply, as just a throw-in in a trade just in case he does anything in the last 2 months of the season
go 49ers!!!!!
Gold Rush
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:54 pm

Gomes should have hung it up for this season long ago. Seriously, he had a hot start but he has been brutal for a long time now. He's hitting .157/.247/.294 over his last 204 at-bats, dating back to the 3rd week of May. The D-Rays need to see the light and get him out of the lineup.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:02 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote: The D-Rays need to see the light and get him out of Tampa, if anybody will take him.

I fixed it for you. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:57 pm

The first thread I ever started trying to stir up a debate.

I'm proud of this baby, it's never leaving my favorites.

:-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:09 pm

cordscords wrote:The first thread I ever started trying to stir up a debate.

:-D ;-D But I still don't think you could have sold him high in an experienced league.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:56 am

gotta tell ya, quite impressive ;-D

I like the quote on the first page where one guy said he heard an ump saying that gomes will hit 50 this year :-b
disgruntledjetsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tal1286 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:

gotta tell ya, quite impressive ;-D

I like the quote on the first page where one guy said he heard an ump saying that gomes will hit 50 this year :-b

Is that guy ASUMikey's uncle who works for NASA and knew about statistics? Or maybe the accountant who was convinced that Beltre was going to do well after April 15th because he was having tax problems?

Just wondering.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers