Sell High On Jonny Gomes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sell High On Jonny Gomes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:38 am

cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:He's gonna be a bargain next year health pending. I'm licking my chops at possibly getting a .270 80 35 90 10 in the late rounds.

as long as that shoulder is healthy its a fact.

Just like .270 was a fact this year?

;-7

we have had this conversation too many times. A healthy shoulder will give him a .270+ average.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:43 am

NikkiSixx wrote:
cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:He's gonna be a bargain next year health pending. I'm licking my chops at possibly getting a .270 80 35 90 10 in the late rounds.

Just like .270 was a fact this year?

;-7

we have had this conversation too many times. A healthy shoulder will give him a .270+ average.

If his shoulder was causing him that much discomfort at the plate, the D-Rays would DL him.

Tampa is 21 games out of their division and the wildcard. No use in trotting him out there to play through the pain.

But we have gone through this before. I'm not gonna bother.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby cobbs87 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:31 am

Well Gomes is also obviously the stubborn type. He probably things its manly to play through the pain despite the fact that hes accomplishing nothing. I finally dropped him for Andre Ethier. Couldnt take it anymore.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby reynolds80 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:01 pm

cobbs87 wrote:Well Gomes is also obviously the stubborn type. He probably things its manly to play through the pain despite the fact that hes accomplishing nothing. I finally dropped him for Andre Ethier. Couldnt take it anymore.

Yep. Look at Gomes' minor league and pre-injury MLB numbers. Is it just a fantastic coincidence that this big drop off started right after reports came out of an injured shoulder requiring surgery?

Now, you can say "well the D-Rays wouldn't have a reason to keep trotting him out there if he was really hurt", but think about it, would this be the first time the D-Rays have made a bad baseball decision?

And yes, Will Carroll said when this injury news first came out that he could "keep mashing" but would not be able to throw at all for the rest of the season. Now, I played college baseball, and trust me, for a right handed hitter and thrower, if your right shoulder hurts so bad that you have been told that you can't pick up a baseball for the next 4 months, it is going to effect your swing. You are going to feel some discomfort there. Just knowing and feeling that your shoulder is in tatters is going to prevent you from really cutting loose. And power hitters at this level need to be able to cut loose.

They need to do the right thing and get him fixed. Even if it's just a mental thing of knowing that there is pain in the shoulder, they need to get that cleared up so he can start getting ready next winter and spring.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:28 pm

I traded Gomes and Papelbon for Berkman ;-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtxdevil » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:06 pm

I traded Gomes and M. Giles for Crawford the 2nd week of the season. :)
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby flowbee » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:11 am

Dont mean to beat a dead horse here but I just witnessed Gomes striking out TWICE swinging to Jamie Moyer, in one of Moyer's worst performances this year where all the Drays were hitting him. I was watching the game and he looked totally clueless up there at the plate. His new average is .213

ITs gotta be nearing the end of the line for Gomes....I think they would have brought up Delmon Young by now if Young wasnt such a drama queen
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby reynolds80 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:27 am

I still don't think Gomes is done. Everything in his history suggests that he is playing hurt right now. I don't know how this specifically would make him strike out twice against Moyer, but the Tampa Bay management has allowed this injury to get in his head. They should have insisted he have season ending surgery weeks ago.

This really isn't all that different from Morneau's season last year. I would not be suprised to see Gomes resurface as a fantasy force in 2007.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:15 am

reynolds80 wrote:This really isn't all that different from Morneau's season last year. I would not be suprised to see Gomes resurface as a fantasy force in 2007.

Sure it is, Morneau was always a very talented prospect and always performed better than Gomes. Johnny besides last year was always a .250 - .260 hitter with power that K'd way to much.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:42 am

NikkiSixx wrote:

A batting average of 240 or 250 will be the tops that Gomes ever sees if he has fulltime at bats. He has nowhere near the batting eye or ability to be a 280 hitter in the big leagues.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers