P-Sean Marshall??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

P-Sean Marshall???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

P-Sean Marshall???

Postby Philliebuster » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:49 am

Anyone care to share some info on him? He's not giving up alot of hits and not walking alot so far relative to other youngsters in the game. His minor league stats look good about a K per inning with a great ERA. I haven't heard much about him....3 solid starts so far in the bigs....being that the last was against the Marlins...he did out duel Dontrelle.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philliebuster » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:56 am

Doing some research:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... hall.shtml

It does appear that his walk/9 ratio is a bit high from highschool to the minors, however he does look to have improved jumping from each level to the next with an almost 9K/9 ratio.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:55 pm

he's been doing well, but he's not worth picking up just yet unless you've got lots of bench spac in a keeper. It was under 40 degrees witht eh wind blowing in last night at Wrigley. There was at least one hit off Marshall that would have been a HR under average game conditions. If he if worth owning, it won't be till the 2nd half.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Philliebuster » Tue May 02, 2006 8:57 am

After last night 28 innings pitched and 18 hits given up with a .872 Whip...not too shabby. Granted he has faced Stl, Pit, LA, Fla, Pit, pretty impressive. Anyone actually see him pitch can give some insight?
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:08 am

He's got a nice curveball and decent control. Somewhere there's a thread that also points out the Cubs schedule in the immediate future includes a lot of teams that you might have a reasonable expectation won't be hitting all that much. Not that I'm trying to curse the Cubs or anything, he IS a rookie and could VERY WELL get POUNDED although he survived his second outing vs. the Pirates and, at times, looked as if he'd figured THEM out more than they figured him out.

Here's the Cubs' schedule for the next month
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby mikhayl » Tue May 02, 2006 9:46 am

AcidRock23 wrote:He's got a nice curveball and decent control. Somewhere there's a thread that also points out the Cubs schedule in the immediate future includes a lot of teams that you might have a reasonable expectation won't be hitting all that much. Not that I'm trying to curse the Cubs or anything, he IS a rookie and could VERY WELL get POUNDED although he survived his second outing vs. the Pirates and, at times, looked as if he'd figured THEM out more than they figured him out.

Here's the other thread

I didn't get to see the game, yet another late night at work, but I absolutely love that he doesn't give up walks. First off because I'm in a WHIP league, and second of all because it'll keep him out of trouble.

Any Cubs fans know if they have him on a pitch count? I was a little disappointed to see him pulled with only 90 pitches when he was only in modest trouble.[/url]
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Philliebuster » Tue May 02, 2006 10:26 am

mikhayl wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:He's got a nice curveball and decent control. Somewhere there's a thread that also points out the Cubs schedule in the immediate future includes a lot of teams that you might have a reasonable expectation won't be hitting all that much. Not that I'm trying to curse the Cubs or anything, he IS a rookie and could VERY WELL get POUNDED although he survived his second outing vs. the Pirates and, at times, looked as if he'd figured THEM out more than they figured him out.

Here's the other thread

I didn't get to see the game, yet another late night at work, but I absolutely love that he doesn't give up walks. First off because I'm in a WHIP league, and second of all because it'll keep him out of trouble.

Any Cubs fans know if they have him on a pitch count? I was a little disappointed to see him pulled with only 90 pitches when he was only in modest trouble.[/url]

I think he was in the 7th or 8th inning, man on 1st and 2nd and no outs...good that he had such a low count late in the game, but also wise to take him out IMO. Proved to work well for the team.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue May 02, 2006 10:28 am

i think he is a good short term add. not sure if he can keep it up but i've seen him throw once and he looked pretty solid. i picked him up when patterson went on the DL. he as a relatively easy schedule coming up. he could get pounded, but then again some of top of the rotation guys (zambrano) are getting pounded too.

FYI the cubs did say they intended to limit his innings in the early going so he may get pulled a little earlier than the usual cubs starter.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 02, 2006 11:17 am

I saw him pitch in a ST game (I know, it's ST) and he looked really good. He's got a great frame and an amazing, amazing breaking ball. I picked him up this week as a 2-start pitcher in my $$$ league (Pit and @SD). I think he'll keep his spot in the rotation when Wood and Prior get back (if that ever happens). They have won all 5 games Marshall has started and the only run Marhall gave up shouldn't have happened because the runner was clearly out of the baseline going to 3rd and they should have had the DP, making the ground out that scored the only run the final out and the run not counting. He's looking very solid. I'd definately take a flier on him. Maddux has taken him under his wing like we see Schilling always talking with Beckett. The kid has some potential. Not a huge fastball for his size, but he's young and I think it'll come. Definately get him in a keeper leauge.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:17 am

He was throwing his curveball for strikes deep in counts which gave him some points in my book.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers