Milledge or Diaz? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Milledge or Diaz?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Milledge or Diaz?

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:44 pm

Beltran is on the DL, who will they call up? I've heard Diaz according to Rotoworld. I'm not sure they're right though since they were wrong with Aybar and Kendrick.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehotcorner » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:46 pm

Diaz most likely. I am very skeptical that they will bring up Milledge just yet, even though he is mashing in Triple-A.

edit: btw, where did you hear about beltran being put on the DL? i've only heard that it might happen, nothing definite.
thehotcorner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:51 pm

thehotcorner wrote:Diaz most likely. I am very skeptical that they will bring up Milledge just yet, even though he is mashing in Triple-A.

edit: btw, where did you hear about beltran being put on the DL? i've only heard that it might happen, nothing definite.

ESPN news has been discussing it constantly.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:55 pm

My bad, not the DL. He's just out until Friday.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:05 pm

IF Beltran goes on DL, which I hope he doesn't. I'd much rather see Milledge play. Come on lets see if he can "mash" with the big boys.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Nails86 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:18 pm

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ba...-headlines

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Mets have targeted Friday as the deadline to place Carlos Beltran on the 15-day disabled list and manager Willie Randolph suggested for the first time yesterday that Lastings Milledge could be his replacement if that happens."We could always call up Milledge," Randolph said before last night's game against the Giants, "but I don't want to get that out there yet."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's one step further than Randolph would go only three days earlier in San Diego, when the manager insisted that Milledge's name had not even come up in conversations about Beltran's health status. But the Mets are now looking more closely at other options because they plan to sit Beltran for this three-game series at AT & T Park and re-evaluate him Friday in Atlanta.
Quote:
"When all is said and done with Beltran, we're being conservative," general manager Omar Minaya said. "It's April. We want to have him for four or five months. Fortunately, we're off to a good start, so that allows us to be conservative." What they decide to do next with Beltran may be more radical if Minaya chooses to summon Milledge from Triple-A Norfolk. Milledge was batting .400 (24-for-60) for the Tides with seven doubles and four stolen bases in 18 games. With his athletic ability, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be a great defensive substitute for Beltran. And at the plate, Milledge already has to be considered a serious upgrade over Endy Chavez, who entered last night hitting .222 (6-for-27).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------Quote:
Randolph said that Victor Diaz is likely to be the club's first option if Beltran is placed on the DL, but he's not the only one. When asked about Milledge coming up, Minaya hedged a little in his response, but definitely left the door open."Those decisions are usually reviewed about 24 hours before," Minaya said. "He is having a very good start at Triple-A, but we'll have to evaluate how Endy is playing too. I'm never opposed to a young guy coming up and playing in the major leagues. I always keep an open mind."
Quote:
Minaya did mention one obstacle, however, and that is finding a spot for Milledge on the 40-man roster. By promoting him a little sooner than expected, the Mets would need to bump another player to make room for Milledge, and that could mean losing someone on waivers. That's a last resort for GMs. But if the Mets need Milledge, Minaya is likely to make an exception in his case.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:23 pm

Good find Nails. Why not bump Chavez? He sucks and a replacement could be found just about anywhere.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:26 pm

Diaz isn't an option right now, he was hurt in a AAA game. Heard it on WFAN 660 (mets station) no link, sorry.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:35 pm

So what's the bottom line? What is the best bet? Milledge or Diaz? From those articles and the possibility of Diaz being injured I'm convinced there's a chance Milledge will be the one called up. Any other thoughts?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:02 pm

I'll say it 75% Chavez will start until Beltran gets back and 25% Milledge will get called up to start.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers