Does this team suck or are they just underachieving? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Does this team suck or are they just underachieving?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does this team suck or are they just underachieving?

Postby McBain » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:34 pm

I don't think the team is that bad, but I am getting killed by some underachievers like Varitek, Utley, and Furcal. My team batting average is roughly last. I have added Biggio to try to weather the storm at 2B.

12 team mixed league, 5x5, rotisserie.

C -- Jason Varitek (Bos)
1B -- David Ortiz (Bos)
2B, 1B -- Chase Utley (Phi)
3B -- Melvin Mora (Bal)
SS -- Rafael Furcal (LAD)
OF -- Carlos Lee (Mil)
OF -- Matt Holliday (Col)
OF -- Curtis Granderson (Det)
Util -- Jermaine Dye OF (CWS)

BN -- OF, Randy Winn (SF)
BN -- 2B, Craig Biggio (Hou)
BN -- 1B, Justin Morneau (Min)

SP -- Curt Schilling (Bos)
SP -- Jake Peavy (SD)
P -- John Lackey (LAA)
P -- Brad Radke (Min)
P -- Mike Maroth (Det)
RP -- Huston Street (Oak)
RP -- Bob Wickman (Cle)
RP -- Scott Shields (LAA)
RP -- Juan Rincón (Min)

Street has been a disappointment (and Radke obviously). There were not a lot of quality closers left, so I opted to draft Rincon and Shields for vulture purposes and to keep my numbers down. Maroth was added after the draft.

Mostly I have been standing pat on this team because I keep expecting them to turn it around -- but I am dropping like a rock in the standings and my patience is getting thin. Varitek fell in the draft so I took him, but now I am regretting it. Morneau is the one I would most like to shop due to his career average, but he is struggling too so I'm not sure he has much value.

Anyone have any suggestions? Stand pat, or try to swing a trade?
McBain
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dcb991 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:38 pm

I think your offense is pretty solid. Varitek is killing me too. I think you might want to target a more solid 2nd OF option than Holliday. I love your relief, but feel that you could use one more starter behind Peavy and Schill (which by the way is a ridiculous 1-2 punch).

Overall I'd probably wait things out for 2 more weeks, especially in the Utley/Varitek case. You might want to consider adding a high Batting Average guy like S. Casey when he comes back from injury, or try to address that in a trade for an OF.
dcb991
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chappell56 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:10 pm

I have Furcal as well and I am hoping he pulls up his socks a bit. I wonder if Bobby Crosby is available in your league. He might garner a look if you're desperate for a utility SS.
The Guns of Navarone
chappell56 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fantasy baller » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:11 pm

Your team looks pretty decent. But I hate your SS. His stupid ass broke my studs hand last week.
fantasy baller
College Coach
College Coach

Postby McBain » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:38 pm

fantasy baller wrote:I hate your SS. His stupid ass broke my studs hand last week.

Believe me, I've wanted to kneecap the guy a few times this year myself, with the way that he is hitting. Imagine if you had them both on the same team....
McBain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deanm85 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:00 pm

I really like your team. I think the outfield may be a bit weak but I wouldn't worry about Furcal - he'll be fine. Your league probably doesn't count holds so be ready to pounce on a third closer - Rincon is the obvious drop if you can find one.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 49#1551749
deanm85
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby McBain » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:08 pm

dcb991 wrote:I love your relief, but feel that you could use one more starter behind Peavy and Schill (which by the way is a ridiculous 1-2 punch).

I agree about the need for a starter. How would you go about getting one? Trading is not my strength, waiver wires are.

(I'm fairly new to fantasy baseball, this is only my third team, two of which I'm playing this year. My first season was 2004, I finished first in a custom rotisserie league, which I figure had a lot to do with beginner' luck. I stumbled on Beltre and Overbay in the late rounds, among others.)

Peavy and Schilling were part of my draft plan: I took Peavy high, and being a Red Sox fan, I knew that Schilling was going to have another a sick year reminiscent of '04, so I targetted him in the early-middle rounds, figuring last season turned off enough people that he would drop. Schill might be better than 2004 this year. Peavy is having a problem with run support...
McBain
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team