stick a fork in Oliver Perez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

stick a fork in Oliver Perez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cordscords » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:47 pm

Haste- Can you try to convince Oliver to stop that goofy praying mantice windup. If he went to a traditional windup I think he would see some improvement.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:48 pm

HasteTheDay wrote:The fastball is coming... it slowing IS coming. You just don't drop off 5-8 MPH off your fastball at the age in your early 20's. He's never thrown over 200 innings in his early career, so no saying he was overworked. It's impossible to defend Oliver, because his numbers don't lie. He feels great though. I don't blame anyone for dropping him though. The fact that he plays for the Pirates just makes it easier. He IS going to get better, the K's will pile, and less batters will reach.... as far as the wins go, i'd be suprised if he piled up more then 5.

Sure it does, it can happen for several reason but pitchers can lose velocity in their early 20's. The 200 IP limit isn't a magical number where you have to watch out for, he pitched 196 innings a few years ago ... not to mention he had to throw more then most due to his walks/pitch count. He doesn't have the smoothest/most repeatable delivery either. There isn't an exact science to say what officially made his velocity go down, and there is nothing either to say it will go back up. I appreaciate you standing next to him through all this, but nothing you have said makes any argument towards him getting better. A guy can say he feels great and still just not have what he used to.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:51 pm

hybrid wrote:
HasteTheDay wrote:The fastball is coming... it slowing IS coming. You just don't drop off 5-8 MPH off your fastball at the age in your early 20's. He's never thrown over 200 innings in his early career, so no saying he was overworked. It's impossible to defend Oliver, because his numbers don't lie. He feels great though. I don't blame anyone for dropping him though. The fact that he plays for the Pirates just makes it easier. He IS going to get better, the K's will pile, and less batters will reach.... as far as the wins go, i'd be suprised if he piled up more then 5.

Sure it does, it can happen for several reason but pitchers can lose velocity in their early 20's. The 200 IP limit isn't a magical number where you have to watch out for, he pitched 196 innings a few years ago ... not to mention he had to throw more then most due to his walks/pitch count. He doesn't have the smoothest/most repeatable delivery either. There isn't an exact science to say what officially made his velocity go down, and there is nothing either to say it will go back up. I appreaciate you standing next to him through all this, but nothing you have said makes any argument towards him getting better. I guy can say he feels great and still just not have what he used to.

I know this has been brought up before, but a number of guys the last couple years have had a significant drop off in velocity. Is it a coincidence that the drop off conincided with the new steroid policy? Considering the recent pitchers busted for taking steroids, it's really not that far of a stretch.

And no, I'm not saying Oliver Perez took steroids. I have no idea if he did or didn't.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers