stick a fork in Oliver Perez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

stick a fork in Oliver Perez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby facts » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:03 am

i dropped him a week ago, the man is through
facts
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:24 am

I wasn't paying really close attention, but I didn't even see a pitch in the 90s from him all night tonight...I'm sure there were a few, but the highest I've seen all year is 91 or maybe 92.

John Wehner (Pirates announcer) hit it on the head, and it's nothing you guys haven't already said...unless Perez gets the speed of his pitches back up, the hitters don't have to start their swing early, and they are able to easily hit pitches that are in the zone.

There were a lot of "garbage" hits tonight, but he really didn't do anything all that impressive in my view. Pujols' HR was just ridiculous...the ball was about 8 inches off the ground, and he destroyed it. :-[ Seriously guys...with the way this team is going, I would not bother having Perez on your fantasy teams right now. :-/
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby borryman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:57 am

greatest trade ever Howard for Perez. All most as lucky as finding Konerko in the waivers like i did 2 weeks ago. I'm going to keep Perez and try him out agaist a weak hitting team. Last chance though
borryman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby josebach » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:19 am

borryman wrote:greatest trade ever Howard for Perez. All most as lucky as finding Konerko in the waivers like i did 2 weeks ago. I'm going to keep Perez and try him out agaist a weak hitting team. Last chance though

Greatest trade ever? Try worst league ever. No way should that trade go through in any league. The fact that it did, shows what kind of league it is.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:58 am

In my two money leagues: 10 team and 12 team, Ollie has been on waivers since the beginning of week 2. In more serious leagues, people know this guy was worthless a long time ago.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Armed and Hammered » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:06 pm

In my 12 team NL only league it would be crazy to drop him so I am very interested each time he pitches.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tgalv » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:19 pm

he's almost worthless
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:30 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:IF Perez ever gets his fastball back (its looking like a bigger IF everyday now), he will be good again, until than...well...he sucks.

He still had terrible control with his fastball, and continues to have control problems even when he is hitting the high 80's/low 90's.

The biggest issue with Perez is his awful control, not his fastball. Even though a few more MPH wouldnt hurt.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby HasteTheDay » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:37 pm

The fastball is coming... it slowing IS coming. You just don't drop off 5-8 MPH off your fastball at the age in your early 20's. He's never thrown over 200 innings in his early career, so no saying he was overworked. It's impossible to defend Oliver, because his numbers don't lie. He feels great though. I don't blame anyone for dropping him though. The fact that he plays for the Pirates just makes it easier. He IS going to get better, the K's will pile, and less batters will reach.... as far as the wins go, i'd be suprised if he piled up more then 5.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:45 pm

HasteTheDay wrote:The fastball is coming... it slowing IS coming. You just don't drop off 5-8 MPH off your fastball at the age in your early 20's. He's never thrown over 200 innings in his early career, so no saying he was overworked. It's impossible to defend Oliver, because his numbers don't lie. He feels great though. I don't blame anyone for dropping him though. The fact that he plays for the Pirates just makes it easier. He IS going to get better, the K's will pile, and less batters will reach.... as far as the wins go, i'd be suprised if he piled up more then 5.

Of course he will improve. Can you actually do worse than 7.20 ERA, 2.04 WHIP and 21/18 K/BB? Those are Jose Lima like.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers