Cards fans:Tell me about A. Wainright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cards fans:Tell me about A. Wainright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cards fans:Tell me about A. Wainright

Postby fatnub2339 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:08 pm

I tried to run a search for him but I couldn't find anything on him. What's his current and future status on the ball club? He's doing a superb job as a reliever but I heard rumblings from before that the Cards are planning to start him over Reyes should it come down to that. So what's your take on him? Thanks in advance
fatnub2339
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:18 pm

Wainright looks really good. Here's a link to a recent story. Whether he would get a shot above Reyes remains to be seen. Reyes has been good in the minors. And Wainright has been the lone bright spot in that bullpen. So, I would think that they would leave Wainright where he is at. But who knows for sure...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cards05 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:49 am

I don't think he has passed Reyes yet. He has been very solid and would be a candidate to close if Izzy went down, but if we have an opening in the rotation, I expect Reyes to get the first shot.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jealousblues » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

He was third in line for the rotation (in the fight with Him, Reyes, and Ponson) but noone thought he would be on the team. he pitched well in ST and made the club as a reliever...but now he is pitching awesome. He is being used as Middle reli9ef.

If someone gets injured, or traded. I suppose he is next in line (over Reyes, due to ML experiance.) low 90's Fastball and great curve.

for whats it worth try this tread at this link...

http://forums.stltoday.com/viewforum.php?f=11
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:58 am

its hard to say whether or not reyes would get the call before reyes. i think the cards are pretty comfortable with wainwright but since he is being worked as a reliever, reyes may be a better bet to go more innings in the event a spot starter is needed. wainwright is still kind of in limbo. he is a reliever that the cards trust in the later innings but the cards dont yet feel comfortable pitching on back to back days. long-term the cards still view wainwright as a starter, but barring an injury he wont get that opportunity until next year.

as others have said, low 90's fastball and above average curve. he has pretty good command and so far looks confident.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mak1277 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:28 am

I don't have much to add, except an opinion I suppose. I think Reyes is definitely the next in line for a rotation spot. My reasoning is that Wainright's pitched so well in relief, that I don't think he'll be moved out of that role this year, unless it's absolutely necessary.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers