Roger Clemens: No intention of returning before June - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Roger Clemens: No intention of returning before June

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dewey finn » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:41 am

From CBS:

Boston pitching coach Al Nipper, a close friend of Roger Clemens, told the Boston Globe that he believes that the 341-game winner will soon make his decision about where he would like to spend the rest of the season.
(Updated 04/27/2006).

The Boston pitching coach, who has been in touch with his former teammate on a number of occasions this season, belives that the Sox "have a chance" to sign the franchise co-leader in wins.
(Updated 04/27/2006).

I suggest people eyeing him on the WW (like me) keep checking every day whether he signs or not.

But then again he's eligible to return to the Astros on Monday.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dewey finn » Mon May 01, 2006 4:00 pm

The Houston Astros, eligible to re-sign Roger Clemens again starting May 1, plan to contact the agents for the seven-time Cy Young Award winner. "This opens up a window of opportunity for us," general manager Tim Purpura said Sunday from Houston. "We have said that we are interested in getting Roger back. We would love to have him be a part of our team." Houston, Boston, the New York Yankees and Texas are interested in signing the 43-year-old right-hander.
(Updated 04/30/2006).

Under baseball's rules, teams can re-sign their former players who became free agents only through Dec. 7 (or Jan. 8 if offered salary arbitration), or starting May 1. Clemens is tied for eighth on the wins list with 341 and second in strikeouts with 4,502. He is still someone to hold onto since he can do so much for your team if he decides to return.
(Updated 04/30/2006).

May 1 Now that the calendar has turned to May, the Astros will begin to make a push to sign Clemens, the Houston Chronicle reports.

Recommendation: The Astros are the early favorites to land Clemens if he plays, but the Red Sox, Yankees and Rangers all have a legitimate shot to win his services. Clemens recently said he probably won't pitch until the middle of June at the earliest, so this could drag out a bit longer. We'll keep you posted on any developments.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Philliebuster » Mon May 01, 2006 4:45 pm

dewey finn wrote:From CBS:

Boston pitching coach Al Nipper, a close friend of Roger Clemens, told the Boston Globe that he believes that the 341-game winner will soon make his decision about where he would like to spend the rest of the season.
(Updated 04/27/2006).

The Boston pitching coach, who has been in touch with his former teammate on a number of occasions this season, belives that the Sox "have a chance" to sign the franchise co-leader in wins.
(Updated 04/27/2006).

I suggest people eyeing him on the WW (like me) keep checking every day whether he signs or not.

But then again he's eligible to return to the Astros on Monday.

Unless you are in an NL or AL only league, I cannot understand why he would still be on the WW. Just grab him, and wait out his decision, personally I don't care where he pitches. I'd probably prefer Texas at this point from a fantasy baseball perspective.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates