Roger Clemens: No intention of returning before June - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Roger Clemens: No intention of returning before June

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roger Clemens: No intention of returning before June

Postby gbill2004 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:22 pm

According to agent Randy Hendricks, free agent Roger Clemens has no intention of pitching in the majors before the start of June.

Although he said he has been throwing a lot of batting practice, Clemens is still leaning toward retirement. "I've listened to every other team [other than Houston] and I continue to get calls every day from those guys on the teams, front office people, I hear the concerns, I know what's behind it and understand it would be a great story," Clemens said. "It's very flattering [but] it would be a mental challenge [to come back]." Apr. 24 - 8:49 pm et
Source: Astros.mlb.com
gbill2004
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:28 pm

So he still could pitch June 1, if I read correctly? Good enough for me. Didn't expect him back anytime in may anyhow.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johntudor » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:03 pm

Those Clemens quotes are BS, he's just driving up demand!

I hope... :-o
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rentz » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:14 pm

clemens is to baseball as favre is to football
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:06 pm

rentz wrote:clemens is to baseball as favre is to football

Not really. He's not holding any team hostage. The Packers don't know what they should do in the draft because Favre won't make a decision. Clemens has already said that he is done. He's just leaving the door open.

I know its a pipe dream, but as a Red Sox fan, I'm hoping he comes to Boston, and ends his career where it began. Now that would be a great story.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:28 am

quitesanemax wrote:

Not really. He's not holding any team hostage. The Packers don't know what they should do in the draft because Favre won't make a decision. Clemens has already said that he is done. He's just leaving the door open.

I know its a pipe dream, but as a Red Sox fan, I'm hoping he comes to Boston, and ends his career where it began. Now that would be a great story.

Rentz:

You are to fantasy sports knowledge as Anna Nicole Smith is to genius.

quitesanemax:

I would like to expand on your thought process. You are right in all but one regard. Farve is no longer hurting his team with is indicision. The team drafted Rogers last year to be the QB of the future so they never really planned on drafting a QB this season. Also, all the good or even average QB's in free agency now are gone. So, he is no longer hurting the team. He hurt the team already by tying their hands in that they couldn't go after a good veteran guy to backup Rogers not knowing Favres status. However, if Favre comes back then he didn't hurt them at all.

Heading into the offseason the team had two different roads it could take. 1. Start the rebuilding. 2. Make a bunch of signings in free agency to build a good enough team around Farve for one more shot at the Super Bowl. Since the team really is too far away (talent-wise) from being a true contender, the smart play would have been to just start rebuilding. However, Favre is one of those rare athletes that is so beloved by his fans that he truely can go out on his own terms. So, he alone by saying he's coming back forces the team into option #2.

I think the team really wanted to start the rebuilding this season and since Favre was (and still is) draging his feet they didn't do much in free agency. So, Favre really has already done himself a disservice (if he returns) and the team a favor by being so indecisive.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby rentz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:52 am

Joe Mauer wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:

Rentz:

You are to fantasy sports knowledge as Anna Nicole Smith is to genius.

quitesanemax:

I would like to expand on your thought process. You are right in all but one regard. Farve is no longer hurting his team with is indicision. The team drafted Rogers last year to be the QB of the future so they never really planned on drafting a QB this season. Also, all the good or even average QB's in free agency now are gone. So, he is no longer hurting the team. He hurt the team already by tying their hands in that they couldn't go after a good veteran guy to backup Rogers not knowing Favres status. However, if Favre comes back then he didn't hurt them at all.

Heading into the offseason the team had two different roads it could take. 1. Start the rebuilding. 2. Make a bunch of signings in free agency to build a good enough team around Farve for one more shot at the Super Bowl. Since the team really is too far away (talent-wise) from being a true contender, the smart play would have been to just start rebuilding. However, Favre is one of those rare athletes that is so beloved by his fans that he truely can go out on his own terms. So, he alone by saying he's coming back forces the team into option #2.

I think the team really wanted to start the rebuilding this season and since Favre was (and still is) draging his feet they didn't do much in free agency. So, Favre really has already done himself a disservice (if he returns) and the team a favor by being so indecisive.

it was a joke geez.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:55 am

Joe Mauer wrote:quitesanemax:

So I was offbase on how he was hurting the team. Sorry, I don't follow the Packers all that closely. But to compare this situation to Clemens situation was ridiculous. Thanks for correcting me.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:58 am

rentz wrote:

it was a joke geez.

:-D Humor. Hmm. Now that changes everything!
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:10 am

it was a joke because both players are 2 of my favorite players, and both are being a little silly right now.
favre more so because he is hindering what his team does right now.

roger mostly because if he wants to retire, just retire...instead he is trying to drive up his price.

and making personal attacks on me is uncalled for.

besides comparing the 2 while an unfair comparison has nothing to do with fantasy sports knowledge.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates