College Roommates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College Roommates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:08 pm

definitely room with your friend. the last thing you want is get stuck with some jerk. if you have problems with your friend, the good thing is that you already have an established respect for each other that you can use to work through any problems. if you fail to meet new people, that's your fault regardless of who your roommate is.

have fun!!
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:26 pm

Instead of living with my H.S. buddy, I went the random route. I was going to live with him, but we couldn't agree on what style dorm we wanted. He wanted corridor where you just live with one other person, and I really wanted to live in a suite with 4 other people but a semi private bathroom that you didn't have to share with the floor.

I ended up seeing my friend from H.S. every so often at parties and the bars and in classes (we shared the same major) but he got his own group, and I got mine. I was lucky that I ended up living with 5 of those 6 guys through my 4 years in college. We hated one guy, but he moved out of the suite after 1 semester. I had a great experience with my roommate, and we lived with each other again sophomore year and moved into the same house for the final two years.

And now, a year after I've graduated, I still see that friend from HS every few weeks. Honestly, I can see the merits of doing both. Whatever you do - be sure to expand outward and make a ton of friends. College will be like no other time of your life, so don't take it for granted.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:19 pm

What ever you do just hang out with your room mate. You should try to go out and meet as many possible early in freshman. Looking back after graduation, this was the best advice concerning college.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:36 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I roomed with my friend from high school in college, and in college he became my best friend, and had he not passed away I'd still be living with him today (and would be leaving him to move in with my fiance in 4 days :,-( )

Sorry to hear that. :,-(

No matter what, if this guy is a friend, why not?? If you have similar interests, go for it. At least you have an idea what you're getting into. Would a random roommate be better?? No way.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby nsulham » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:28 am

I was an RA in school and dealt with this question ALL the time. It's been my experience that guys tend to fair better than girls when it comes to this situation. For whatever reason, girls that are friends in high school and then end up living with each other aren't friends for very long.

I need no further proof than my own sister, who's been the victim of this twice. Then again it could just be that women overall are catty by nature and can't go 24 hours without wanting to stab each other in the back.

But yeah, as long as you and your friend share common interests and most importantly of all, respect each other and have common courtesy between each other then you should be fine.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:57 pm

Roomates are hard I ended up fighting one or two
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:23 pm

acsguitar wrote:Roomates are hard I ended up fighting one or two

http://www.oxygen.com/campusladies/
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:38 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I roomed with my friend from high school in college, and in college he became my best friend, and had he not passed away I'd still be living with him today (and would be leaving him to move in with my fiance in 4 days :,-( )

Sorry to hear that. :,-(

No matter what, if this guy is a friend, why not?? If you have similar interests, go for it. At least you have an idea what you're getting into. Would a random roommate be better?? No way.

Me too. I'm horrified to share an apartment with her! !+)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Previous

Return to General Talk